- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experimental investigation on the variation of thermal conductivity of soils with effective stress, porosity, and water saturation
- Lee, So-Jung (Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology (KICT)) ;
- Kim, Kyoung-Yul (Structural and Seismic Technology Group, Power Transmission Laboratory, Korea Electric Power Research Institute (KEPRI)) ;
- Choi, Jung-Chan (Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI)) ;
- Kwon, Tae-Hyuk (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST))
- Received : 2015.08.21
- Accepted : 2016.07.26
- Published : 2016.12.12
The thermal conductivity of soils is an important property in energy-related geotechnical structures, such as underground heat pumps and underground electric power cable tunnels. This study explores the effects of geotechnical engineering properties on the thermal conductivity of soils. The thermal conductivities of quartz sands and Korean weathered silty sands were documented via a series of laboratory experiments, and its variations with effective stress, porosity, and water saturation were examined. While thermal conductivity was found to increase with an increase in the effective stress and water saturation and with a decrease in porosity, replacing air by water in pores the most predominantly enhanced the thermal conductivity by almost one order of magnitude. In addition, we have suggested an improved model for thermal conductivity prediction, based on water saturation, dry thermal conductivity, saturated thermal conductivity, and a fitting parameter that represents the curvature of the thermal conductivity-water saturation relation.
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport (MOLIT)
- Andersland, O.B. and Ladanyi, B. (2004), Frozen Ground Engineering, (2nd Edition), John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 363 p.
- ASTM D4253-14 (2014), Standard Test Methods for Maximum Index Density and Unit Weight of Soils Using Vibratory Table, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM D4254-14 (2014), Standard Test Methods for Minimum Index Density and Unit Weight of Soils and Calculation of Relative Density, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM D5334-14 (2014), Standard Test Method for Determination of Thermal Conductivity by Thermal Needle Probe Procedure, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- Batchelor, G.K. and O'Brien, R.W. (1977), "Thermal or electrical conduction through a granular material", Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, 355(1682), 313-333.
- Brandl, H. (2006), "Energy foundations and other thermos-active ground structures", Geotechnique, 56(2), 81-122. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.2006.56.2.81
- Brigaud, F. and Vasseur, G. (1989), "Mineralogy, porosity and fluid control on thermal conductivity of sedimentary rocks", Geophys. J. Int., 98(3), 525-542. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-246X.1989.tb02287.x
- Carslaw, H.S. and Jaeger, J.C. (1959), Conduction of Heat in Solids, (2nd Edition), Oxford University Press, London, 510 p.
- Cortes, D.D., Martin, A.I., Yun, T.S., Francisca, F.M., Santamarina, J.C. and Ruppel, C. (2009), "Thermal conductivity of hydrate-bearing sediments", J. Geophys. Res., 114, B11103. DOI: 10.1029/2008JB006235 https://doi.org/10.1029/2008JB006235
- Cote, J. and Konrad, J. (2005), "A generalized thermal conductivity model for soils and costruction materials", Can. Geotech. J., 42, 443-458. https://doi.org/10.1139/t04-106
- Esch, D.C. (2004), Thermal Analysis, Construction and Monitoring Methods for Frozen Ground, American Society of Civil Engineers, 492, Reston, VA, USA.
- Gangadhara Rao, M.V.B.B. and Singh, D.N. (1999), "A generalized relationship to estimate thermal resistivity of soils", Can. Geotech. J., 36, 767-773. https://doi.org/10.1139/t99-037
- Go, G.H., Lee, S.R., Kim, Y.S., Park, H.K. and Yoon, S. (2014), "A new thermal conductivity estimation model for weathered granite soils in Korea", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 6(4), 359-376. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.6.4.359
- Gori, F. and Corasaniti, S. (2004), "Theoretical prediction of the thermal conductivity and temperature variation inside Mars soil analogues", Planet. Space Sci., 52, 91-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pss.2003.08.009
- Hashin, Z. and Shtrikman, S. (1963), "A variational approach to the theory of the elastic behavior of multiphase materials", J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 11(2), 127-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(63)90060-7
- Horai, K.I. and Simmons, G. (1969), "Thermal conductivity of rock forming minerals", Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 6(5), 359-368. https://doi.org/10.1016/0012-821X(69)90186-1
- Johansen, O. (1977), Thermal Conductivity of Soils, Cold Regions Research and Engineering Lab Hanover NH, No. CRREL-TL-637.
- Johnston, I.W., Narsilio, G.A. and Colls, S. (2011), "Emerging geothermal energy technologies", KSCE J. Civ. Engrs., 15(4), 643-653. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-011-0005-7
- Kersten, M.S. (1949), "Laboratory research for the determination of the thermal properties of soils", ACFEL Tech. Rep. 23; University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MI, USA.
- Kumai, W., Hashimoto, I., Ohsawa, S., Mitani, M. and Matsuda, Y. (1994), "Completion of high-efficiency water pipe cooling system for underground transmission line", IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 9(1), 585-590.
- Kumlutas, D., Tavman, I.H. and Coban, M.T. (2003), "Thermal conductivity of particle filled polyethylene composite materials", Compos. Sci. Technol., 63, 113-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(02)00194-X
- Lu, S., Ren, T., Gong, Y. and Horton, R. (2007), "An improved model for predicting soil thermal conductivity from water content at room temperature", Soil. Sci. Soc. Am. J., 71(1), 8-14. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2006.0041
- Manohar, K., Yarbrough, D.W. and Booth, J.R. (2000), "Measurement of apparent thermal conductivity by the thermal probe method", J. Test. Eval., 28(5), 345-351. https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE12123J
- Murashov, V.V. and White, M.A. (2000), "Thermal conductivity of crystalline particulate materials", J. Mater. Sci., 35, 649-653. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004784613181
- Nasirian, A., Cortes, D.D. and Dai, S. (2015), "The physical nature of thermal conduction in dry granular media", Geotech. Lett., 5, 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1680/geolett.14.00073
- Roshankhah, S. and Santamarina, J.C. (2014), "Engineered granular materials for heat conduction and load transfer in energy geotechnology", Geotech. Lett., 4(2), 145-150. https://doi.org/10.1680/geolett.14.00001
- Singh, D.N. and Devid, K. (2000), "Generalized relationships for estimating soil thermal resistivity", Experim. Therm. Fluid Sci., 22, 133-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0894-1777(00)00020-0
- Sridhar, M.R. and Yovanovich, M.M. (1996), "Elastoplastic contact conductance model for isotropic conforming rough surfaces and comparison with experiments", J. Heat Transfer, 118(1), 3-9. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2824065
- Tarnawski, V.R., Leong, W.H., Gori, F., Buchan, G.D. and Sundberg, J. (2002), "Inter- particle contact heat transfer in soil systems at moderate temperatures", Int. J. Energy Res., 26, 1345-1358. https://doi.org/10.1002/er.853
- Van der Held, E.F.M. and Van Drunnen, F.G. (1949), "A method of measuring thermal conductivity of liquids", Physica, 15(10), 865-881. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-8914(49)90129-9
- Vargas, W.L. and McCarthy, J.J. (2001), "Heat conduction in granular materials", AIChE Journal, 47(5), 1052-1059. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690470511
- Von Herzen, R. and Maxwell, A.E. (1959), "The measurement of thermal conductivity of deep-sea sediments by a needle-probe method", J. Geophys. Res., 64(10), 1557-1563. https://doi.org/10.1029/JZ064i010p01557
- Woodside, W.M.J.H. and Messmer, J.H. (1961), "Thermal conductivity of porous media. I. Unconsolidated sands", J. Appl. Phys., 32(9), 1688-1699. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1728419
- Yun, T.S. and Santamarina, J.C. (2008), "Fundamental study of thermal conduction in dry soils", Granul. Matter, 10(3), 197-207. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10035-007-0051-5
- Effects of Fine Particles on Thermal Conductivity of Mixed Silica Sands vol.7, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/app7070650