- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Biological Control of Japanese Pine Sawyer, Monochamus alternatus (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) using Korean Entomopathogenic Nematode Isolates
한국산 곤충병원성선충을 이용한 솔수염하늘소(Monochamus alternatus)의 생물적 방제
- Yu, Hwang Bin (Department of Applied Biology, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Jung, Young Hak (SM Bio Co.) ;
- Lee, Sang Myeong (SM Bio Co.) ;
- Choo, Ho Yul (Department of Applied Biology, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Dong Woon (School of Environmental Ecology and Tourism, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2016.10.15
- Accepted : 2016.11.17
- Published : 2016.12.31
Japanese pine sawyer (JPS), Monochamus alternatus is a vector insect of pine wood nematode, Bersaphlenchus xylophilus in Korea and Japanese pine forest. This study was to evaluate the possibility of biological control of JPS with Korean entomopathogenic nematodes (EPNs). Korean EPNs (Heterorhabditis sp. Gyeongsan, Steinernema carpocapsae GSN1, S. glaseri Dongrae and S. longicaudum Nonsan strain) were infested bate insect, Galleria mellonella in log of dead pine tree. Result showed that, S. carpocapsae GSN1 strain has the highest pathogenicity. Heterorhabditis sp. Gyeongsan and S. carpocapsae GSN1 had infested bate insect, which located in 7.5 cm depth of pine log. EPN has pathogenicity against larva and adult of JPS. Spray application of EPNs against adult of JPS, Heterorhabditis sp. Gyeongsan strain showed higher pathogenicity than S. carpocapsae GSN1 strain. EPN infested larva of JPS was detected on bark spray treatment with S. carpocapsae GSN1 strain in dead pine log that naturally infested larva of JPS however, no EPN infested JPS was detected on soaking of pine log with suspension of S. carpocapsae GSN1 strain. Though EPN had found with low efficacy against JPS but still possible to apply to control the boring insect pest as they can control log dwelling insect.
- Lee, D. W., J. Y. Yang, G. Y. Han, H. Y. Choo, S. M. Lee, H. H. Kim, C. G. Park and Y. M. Choo (2006) Entomopathogenic nematodes for biological control of Pryeria sinica Moore (Lepidoptera: Zygaenidae) and persistence on Euonymus japonica Thunberg foliage. J. Asia-Pacific Entomol. 9:165-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1226-8615(08)60288-5
- Lee, K. S., D. W. Lee, H. H. Kim, S. M. Lee, H. Y. Choo and H. K. Shin (2005) Pathogenicity of entomopathogenic nematodes to Popillia quadriguttata (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae) adult. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 44:145-150.
- Mamiya, Y. (1988) History of pine wilt disease in Japan. J. Nematol. 20:219-226.
- Phan, L. K. (2008) Potential of entomopathogenic nematodes for controlling the Japanese pine sawyer, Monochamus alternatus. In Pine wilt disease: Zhao, B. G., Eds; Springer, Japan. pp.26-32.
$(R)$9.3 user's guide. (2011) SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Shimazu, M. (2008) Biological control of the Japanese pine sawyer beetle, Monochamus alternatus. In Pine wilt disease: Zhao, B. G., Eds; Springer, Japan. pp.351-370.
- Shin, J. H., O. G. Kwon, C. M. Lee, S. M. Lee, Y. H. Choi, J. H. Kim, Y. S. Kim and D. W. Lee (2016) Nematicidal activity of Eclipta prostrate extract and terthiophene against pine wood nematode, Bursaphelenchus xylophilus. Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 20:56-65. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2016.20.1.56
- Shin, S. C. (2008) Pine wilt disease in Korea. In Pine wilt disease: Zhao, B. G., Eds; Springer, Japan. pp.26-32.
- Wingfield, M. J., R. B. Blanchette and T. H. Nicholls (1984) Is the pine wood nematode an important pathogen in the United States? Journal of Forestry 82:232-235.
- Woodring, J. L. and H. K. Kaya (1988) Steinernematidae and Heterorhabditidae nematodes: a handbook of techniques. Southern Coop. Ser. Bull. 331, Alkansas Agri. Exp. Stn. USA.
- Yamanaka, S. (1993) Field control of the Japanese pine sawyer, Monochamus alternatus (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) larvae by Steinernema carpocapsae (Nematoda: Rhabditida). Jap. J. Nematol. 23:71-78. https://doi.org/10.3725/jjn1993.23.2_71
- Yi, C. K., B. H. Byun, J. D. Park, S. I. Yang and K. H. Chang (1989) First finding of the pinewood nematode, Bursaphelenchus xylophilus (Steiner et Buhrer) Nickle and its insect vector in Korea. Res. Rep. For. Res. Inst. 38:141-149. (In Korean)
- Zhao, B. G., K. Futai, J. R. Sutherland and Y. Takeuchi (2008) Pine wilt disease. Springer, Japan.
- Choo, H. Y., H. H. Kim, D. W. Lee, S. M. Lee, S. H. Park, Y. M. Choo and J. K. Kim (2001) Practical utilization of entomopathogenic nematodes, Steinernema carpocapsae Pocheon strain and Heterorhabditis bacteriophora Hamyang strain for control of chestnut insect pests. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 40:69-76. (In Korean)
- Copping, L. G. (2001) A world compendium the manual of biocontrol agents. BCPC. Alton, UK.
- Dolinski, C., H. Y. Choo and L. W. Duncan (2012) Grower acceptance of entomopathogenic nematodes: case studies on three continents. J. Nematol. 44:226-235.
- Dwinell, L. D. (1997) The pinewood nematode: regulation and mitigation. Ann. Rev. Phytopathol. 35:153-166. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.phyto.35.1.153
- Grewal, P. S., E. E. Lewis, R. Gaugler and J. F. Campbell (1994) Host-finding behavior as a predictor of foraging strategy in entomopathogenic nematodes. Parasitol. 108: 207-215. https://doi.org/10.1017/S003118200006830X
- Kaya, H. K., M. M. Aguillera, A. Alumai, H. Y. Choo, M. de la Torre, A. Fodor, S. Ganguly, S. Hazir, T. Lakatos, A. Pye, M. Wilson, S. Yamanaki, H. Yang and R. U. Ehlers (2006) Status of entomopathogenic nematodes and their symbiotic bacteria from selected countries or regions of the world. Biological Control 38:134-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2005.11.004
- Kim, D. S., S. M. Lee, Y. J. Chung, K. S. Choi, Y. S. Moon and C. G. Park (2003) Emergence ecology of Japanese pine sawyer, Monochamus alternatus (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae), a vector of pinewood nematode, Bursaphelenchus xylophilus. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 42:307-313. (In Korean)
- Kishi, Y. (1995) The pinewood nematode and Japanese pine sawyer. Thomas, Tokyo, p302.
- Korea Forestry Research Institute (KFRI). (2007) Damage characteristics and control strategies of pine wood nematode, Bursaphelenchus xylophilus in Korean white pine forest. Korea Forest Research Institute, Seoul. pp 1-12. (In Korean)
- Kwon, T. S., J. H. Lim, S. J. Sim, Y. D. Kwon, S. K. Son, K. Y. Lee, Y. T. Kim, J. W. Park, C. H. Shin, S. B. Ryu, C. K. Lee, S. C. Shin, Y. J. Chung and Y. S. Park (2006) Distribution patterns of Monochamus alternatus and M. slatuarius (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in Korea. Jour. Korean For. Soc. 95:543-550.
- Lee, C. M., T. H. Lim, S. M. Lee, L. S. Mun, S. S. Han, and D. W. Lee (2015) Nematicidal and reproduction supression activity of actinomyces isolates against pine wood nematode, Bersaphelenchus xylophilus. Korea J. Pestic. Sci. 19:141-150. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2015.19.2.141
- Bergdahl, D. R. (1988) Impact of pine wood nematode in north America: present and future. J. Nematol. 20:260-265.
- Choi, W. G., P. J. Ha, S. M. Lee, H. Y. Choo and D. W. Lee (2006) Pathogenicity of Korean entomopathogenic nematodes on larva of Popillia quadriguttata, Ectinohoplia rufipes and Phyllopertha diversa (Coleoptera: Rutelidae) and persistence in golf courses. Korea J. Pestic. Sci. 10:107-116. (In Korean)
- Insecticidal Activity of Sakhalin Pine Sawyer (Monochamus saltuarius) using 5 Kinds of Insecticides vol.21, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2017.21.3.241