- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Isolation and Characterization of Bacillus Species Having Antifungal Activity Against Pathogens of Ginseng Damping Off
인삼모잘록병원균에 항균활성을 갖는 Bacillus 균의 분리 및 특성조사
- Park, Kyeong Hun (Department of Herbal Crop Research, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, RDA) ;
- Park, Hong Woo (Department of Herbal Crop Research, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Seong Woo (Department of Herbal Crop Research, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Seung Ho (Department of Herbal Crop Research, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, RDA) ;
- Myung, Kyung Sun (Department of Herbal Crop Research, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Sang Yeob (Agricultural microbiology division, National Institute of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Song, Jaekyeong (Agricultural microbiology division, National Institute of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Young Tak (Seed Certification Team, Quality Assurance Division, Nongwoo Bio CO., LTD.) ;
- Park, Kyoung Soo (Seed Certification Team, Quality Assurance Division, Nongwoo Bio CO., LTD.) ;
- Kim, Young Ock (Department of Herbal Crop Research, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, RDA)
- 박경훈 (국립원예특작과학원 인삼특작부) ;
- 박홍우 (국립원예특작과학원 인삼특작부) ;
- 이성우 (국립원예특작과학원 인삼특작부) ;
- 이승호 (국립원예특작과학원 인삼특작부) ;
- 명경선 (국립원예특작과학원 인삼특작부) ;
- 이상엽 (국립농업과학원 농업미생물과) ;
- 송재경 (국립농업과학원 농업미생물과) ;
- 김영탁 (농우바이오 종자검정팀) ;
- 박경수 (농우바이오 종자검정팀) ;
- 김영옥 (국립원예특작과학원 인삼특작부)
- Received : 2016.10.24
- Accepted : 2016.11.23
- Published : 2016.12.31
This study was performed to select potentially available biological control agent from soil bacteria for prevention of ginseng damping off. More than five hundred strains were isolated from ginseng rhizosphere soil. By testing antifungal activity, we have selected three soil bacteria strains and their ability to produce antibiotics and lytic enzymes such as cellulase, protease and pectate lyase was examined. Also, the presence of genes for biosynthesis of lipopeptide such as fengycin, bacillomycin D, surfactin, iturin A, and zwittermicin A was investigated in selected strains. All three strains produced cellulase, protease, and xylanase. Moreover, these strains had gene for biosynthesis of bacillomycin D, surfactin, and iturin A. ES1 and ES3 strains were identified Bacillus methylotrophucus and ES2 was confirmed Bacillus amyloliquefaciens using phylogenetic analysis on the basis of 16S rRNA gene sequences. In field test, control value of ES1, ES2 and ES3 treatment was 32.4%, 46.8% and 36.7%, respectively. This results indicate that antagonistic microbes with high ability of antifungal and lytic enzyme activity can be used as a useful biological control agent to control ginseng damping off.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Abbasi, P. A., K. L. Conn and G. Lazarovitis (2004) Suppression of Rhizoctonia and Phythium damping off of radish and cucumber seedlings by addition of fish emulsion to peat mix or soil. Canadian J. Plant Pathol. 26:177-187. https://doi.org/10.1080/07060660409507129
- Alvarez, F., M. Castro, A. Prncipe, G. Borioli, S. Fischer, G. Mori and F. Jofr (2012) The plant associated Bacillus amyloliquefaciens strains MEP218 and ARP23 capable of producing the cyclic lipopeptides iturin or surfactin and fengycin are effective in biocontrol of sclerotinia stem rot diseas. J. Appl. Microbiol. 112:159-174. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2011.05182.x
- Asaka, O. and M. Shoda (1996) Bioconrol of Rhizoctonia solani damping off of tomato with Bacillus subtilis RB14. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 62:4081-4085.
- Athukorala, S. N., W. G. D. Fernando and K. Y. Rashid (2009) Identification of antifungal antibiotics of Bacillus species isolated from different microhabitats using polymerase chain reaction and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometer. Can. J. Microbiol. 55:1021-1032. https://doi.org/10.1139/W09-067
- Bardin, S. D. and H. C. Huang (2001) Survey of damping off diseases of sugar beet in southern Albert in 2000. Can. Plant Dis. Surv. 81:136-137.
- Bae, Y. S., B. Y. Park, T. J. An, B. Y. Yeon, S. W. Lee and N. S. Seong (2006) Selection of potential fungicides for control ofginseng seedling damping off and research on fungicide application for disease control in farms. Treat. of Crop Sci. 7:679-698.
- Berendsen, R. L., C. M. Pieterse and P. A. Bakker (2012) The rhizosphere microbiome and plant health. Trends Plant Sci. 17:478-486. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tplants.2012.04.001
- Besson, F., F. Peypoux, G. Michel and L. Delcambe (1977) Structure of bacillomycin L, an antibiotic from Bacillus subtilis. Eur. J. Biochem. 77:61-67. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1977.tb11641.x
- Cawoy, H., W. Bettiol, P. Fickers and M. Ongena (2011) Pesticides in the Modern World-Pestcides use and management. Bacillus based biological control of plant disease. InTech, Croatia, pp. 273-302.
- Cheng, Z., J. Li, Y. Niu, X. Zhang, O. Z. Woody, Y. Xiong, S. Djonovic, Y. Millet, J. Bush, B. J. McConkey, J. Sheen, and F. Ausubel (2015) Pathogen screted proteases activate a novel plant immune pathway. Nature. 521:213-216. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature14243
- Chi, W. J., D. Y. Park, U. Temuujin, J. Y. Lee, Y. K. Chang and S. K. Hong (2011) Identification of a cellulase producing marine Bacillus sp. GC-1 and GC-4 isolated form coastal seawater of Jeju island. Korean J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 39:97-103.
- Cho, D. H., H. S. Cho, J. S. Shin and D. W. Park (2007) Control of damping-off and ginseng seedlings incited by Rhizoctonia solani. Korean J. Ginseng Res. 13:114-118.
- Fravel, D. R. (2005) Commercialization and implementation of biocontrol. Annual Review of Phytopathology. 43:337-359. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.phyto.43.032904.092924
- Gerhardt, P., R. G. E. Murray, R. N. Costilow, E. W. Nester, W. A. Wood, N. R. Krieg and G. B. Phillips (1981) General Characterization of Lipid Inclusions Using Sudan Black B. In: Manual of Methods for General Bacteriology, Smibert, R. M. and N. R. Krieg (Eds.). American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC., pp: 409-433.
- Haas, D. and G. Defago (2005) Biological control of soil borne pathology by fluorescent pseudomonas. Nature Reviews Microbiol. 3:307-319. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrmicro1129
- He, H., L. A. Silo-Suh and J. Handelsman (1994) Zwittermicin A, an antifungal and plant protection agent from Bacillus cereus. Tetrahedron Lett. 35:2499-2502. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-4039(00)77154-1
- Horowitz, S. and W. M. Griffin (1991) Structural analysis of Bacillus licheniformis 86 surfactant. J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 7:45-52.
- Hudelson, B. D. and J. L. Parke (1995) Etiology of a seedling root rot of American ginseng in Wisconsin. Simon Fraser University Press. pp. 133-140.
- Khabbaz, S. E., L. Zhang, L. A. Caceres, M. Sumarah, A. Wang and P. A. Abbasi (2015) Characterization of antagonistic Bacillus and Pseudomonas strains for biocontrol potential and suppression of damping off and root rot disease. Ann Appl. Biol. 166:456-471. https://doi.org/10.1111/aab.12196
- Kim, B. Y., T. D. Zucci, H. P. Fiedler and M. Goodfellow (2012) Streptomyces cocklensis sp. nov. dioxamycin producting actinomyces. Int. J. Sys. Evol. Microbiol. 62(2) : 279-283. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.029983-0
- Kim, B. Y., J. H. Ahn, H. Y. Weon, J. K. Song, S. I. Kim and W. G. Kim (2012) Isolation and characterization of Bacillus species possessing antifungal activity against Ginseng root rot pathogens. Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 16:357-363. https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2012.16.4.357
- Kim, P. I., H. Bai, D. Bai, H. Chae, S. Chung, Y. Kim, R. Park and Y. T. Chi (2004) Purification and characterization of a lipopeptide produced by Bacillus thuringiensis CMB26. J. Appl. Microbiol. 97:942-949. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2004.02356.x
- Kim, P. I., J. Rye, Y. H. Kim and Y. T. Chi (2010) Production of biosurfactant lipopeptide iturin A, fengycin and surfactin A from Bacillus subtilis CMB32 for control of Colletorichum gloeosporioides. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 20:138-145.
- Leisso, R., P. Miller and M. Burrows (2009) The influence of biological and fungicidal seed treatment on chickpea damping off. Canadian J. Plant Pathol. 31:38-46. https://doi.org/10.1080/07060660909507570
- Madhaiyan, M., S. Poonguzhali and T. M. Sa (2010) Bacillus methylotrophucus sp. nov., a methanol-utilizing, plant growth promoting baterium isolated from rice rhizosphere soil. Int J Syst Bacteriol. 60:2490-2495. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.015487-0
- Pant, G., A. Prakash, J. V. P. Pavani, S. Bera, G. V. N. S. Deviram, A. Kumar, M. Panchpuri and R. G. Prasuna (2015) Production, optimization and partial purification of protease from Bacillus subtilis. J Taibah Univ. Sci. 9:50-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtusci.2014.04.010
- Proctor, J. T. A. and W. G. Bailey (1987) Ginsen : industry, botany, and culture. Hortic. Rev. 9:188-236.
- Proctor, J. T. A. and D. Louttit (1995) Stratification of American ginseng seed. embryo growth and temperature. Korean J. Ginseng Sci. 19:171-174.
- Stephens, C. T., L. J. Herr and A. F. Schmitthenner (1982) Characterization of Rhizoctonia isolates associated with damping off of bedding plants. Plant Dis. 66:700-703. https://doi.org/10.1094/PD-66-700
- Tainyu, Z. and C. Weiqun (1992) A preliminary study of seed pathology of Panax quinquefolius. Korean J. Ginseng Sci. 16:244-245.
- Tamura, K., J. Dudley, M. Nei and S. Kumar (2007) MEGA4: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis(MEGA) software version4.0. Mol Bio Evol. 24:1596-1599. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msm092
- Yang, H. J., S. J. Jeong, S. Y. Jeong and D. Y. Jeong (2014) Screening of antagonistic bacteria having antifungal activity against various Phytopathogens. Kor. J. Mycol. 42:333-340. https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2014.42.4.333
- Yu, G. Y., J. B. Sinclair, G. L. Hartman and B. L. Bertagnolli (2002) Production of Iturin A by Bacillus amyloliquefaciens suppressing Rhizoctonia solani. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. 955-963.
- Yu, Y. H., D. H. Cho and S. H. Ohh (1989) Effect of tolcofosmethyl on damping-off ginseng seedlings incited by Rhizoctonia solani. Korean J. Ginseng Res. 13:114-118.
- Yu, Y. H., D. H. Cho, I. H. Lee and S. H. Ohh (1990) Effect of seedling depth on severity of damping-off ginseng seedling caused by Rhizoctonia solani. Korean J. Ginseng Res. 14:432-436.
- Xia, Y. (2004) Proteases in pathogenesis and plant defense. Celluar Microbio. 6:905-913. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1462-5822.2004.00438.x