- Volume 41 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Thin Layer Drying Model of Sorghum
- Kim, Hong-Sik (Research Group of Smart Food distribution system, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Oui-Woung (Research Group of Smart Food distribution system, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Hoon (Research Group of Smart Food distribution system, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Hyo-Jai (Research Group of Smart Food distribution system, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Han, Jae-Woong (Division of Bio-Industry Engineering, Koungju National University)
- Received : 2016.08.31
- Accepted : 2016.11.05
- Published : 2016.12.01
Purpose: This study was performed to define the drying characteristics of sorghum by developing thin layer drying equations and evaluating various grain drying equations. Thin layer drying equations lay the foundation characteristics to establish the thick layer drying equations, which can be adopted to determine the design conditions for an agricultural dryer. Methods: The drying rate of sorghum was measured under three levels of drying temperature (
Supported by : Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture,Forestry and Fisheries(IPET)
- ASAE Standards. 2004a. S352.2: Moisture measurement-Unground grain and seeds. St. Joseph, MI: ASAE.
- ASAE Standards. 2004b. S448.1: Thin-layer Dr'ying of Agricultural Crops. St. Joseph, MI: ASAE.
- Chae, K. Y. and J. S. Hong. 2006. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk with different mounts of waxy sorghum flour. Korean J. Food Cookery Sci 22:363-369 (In Korean, with English abstract).
- Food Balance Sheet. 2016. Korea Rural Economic Institute (In Korean, with English abstract).
- Han, J. W., D. H. Keum, H. Kim and S. E. Lee. 2006. Thin Layer Drying Model of Green Rice. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 31(5):410-415 (In Korean, with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2006.31.5.410
- Henderson, S. M. 1952. A basic concept of equilibrium moisture. Agricultural Engineering 33:29-32.
- Keum, D. H. and C. W. Park. 1997. Equilibrium Moisture Contents and Thin Layer Drying Equations of Cereal Grains and Mushrooms (I)-Thin Layer Drying Equations of Short Grain Rough Rice -. Journal of the Korean Society for Agricultural Machinery 22(1):11-20 (In Korean, with English abstract).
- Keum, D. H., H. Kim and S. J. Hong. 2002. Far-Infrared Ray Drying Characteristics of Rough Rice (I)-Thin layer drying equation-. Journal of the Korean Society for agricultural Machinery 27(1):45-50 (In Korean, with English abstract).
- Kim, H., D. H. Keum and O. W. Kim. 2004. Low Temperature Thin Layer Drying Model of Rough Rice. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 29(6):495-500 (In Korean, with English abstract). https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2004.29.6.495
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Statistics Yearbook. 2015. Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Republic of Korea (In Korean, with English abstract).
- Lewis, W. K. 1921. The rate of drying of solid materials. Industrial Engineering Chemistry 13:427-432. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie50137a021
- Page, G. 1949. Factors influencing the maximum rates of air drying shelled corn in thin layers. M. S. Thesis, Purdue University.
- Paulsen, M. and T. Thompson. 1973. Drying analysis of grain sorghum. Transactions of the ASAE 16(3):537540. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.37563
- Rural Development Administration. 2012. Development of cultivation techniques for enhancing productivity of cereal crop. (In Korean, with English summary).
- SAS. 2015. SAS User's Guide: Statistics ver 9.4, SAS institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Survey of Distribution of Minor Grains Produced in Korea. 2014. Korea Rural Economic institute (In Korean, with English abstract).
- Thompson, T. L. 1967. Predicted performances and optimal designs of convection grain dryers. University Microfilms.
- Investigation into thin layer drying rates and equilibrium moisture content of abattoir paunch waste 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2017.07.082