- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Design and Control Strategy for Autonomous and Seamless Mode Transition of High Efficiency Bidirectional DC-DC Converter for ISG Systems
ISG 시스템용 고효율 양방향 DC-DC 컨버터의 설계 및 자율적이며 끊김없는 모드전환을 위한 제어전략
Park, Jun-Sung;Kwon, Min-Ho;Choi, Se-Wan
- Received : 2015.07.31
- Accepted : 2015.11.24
- Published : 2016.02.20
In this study, a bidirectional DC-DC converter for idle stop and go (ISG) is developed to reduce fuel consumption. A three-phase non-isolated half-bridge converter is selected through a design method by considering efficiency and volume. According to the state of charge of the batteries at both the low-voltage and high-voltage sides, buck mode, which charges a low-voltage battery from the generated motor energy, and boost mode, which provides power to the motor from the low- and high-voltage battery sides, are required in the ISG system. Hence, an autonomous and seamless bidirectional control method using a variable current limiter is proposed for mode change. A 1.8 kW engineering sample of the proposed converter has been built and tested to verify the validity of the proposed concept. The maximum efficiencies, including gate driver and control circuit losses, are 96.4% in charging mode and 96.1% in discharging mode.
BDC(Bidirectional DC-DC Converter);Buck converter;Boost converter;Interleaved;ISG
- J. Wang and J. Zhang, "Design and analysis of DC/DC converter in 42V/14V automotive power system," Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 448-453, pp. 3109-3114, 2014.
- C. Hoff, C. Amsel, and A. Lorner, "The dual voltage power system with 48V architecture, potentials and components," Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, 2012.
- L. Chen, C. Young, N. Chu, and C. Liu, "Phase-locked bidirectional converter with pulse charge function for 42V/14V dual voltage powerNet," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 5, pp. 2045-2048, May, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2051930
- M. H. Son, J. H. Park, and S. W. Sohn, "The technology trend of stop-start system," Electronics and Telecommunications Research Inst., Deajeon, Kor., Oct. 2009.
- C. S. Kim, K. H. Park, H. T. Kim, and G. H. Lee, "48V power assist recuperation system (PARS) with a permanent magnet motor, inverter and DC-DC converter," IEEE International Future Energy Electronics, 2013.
- O. Garcia, P. Zumel, A. Castro, and J. A. Cobos, "Automotive DC-DC bidirectional converter made with many interleaved buck stages," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 578-586, May 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.872379
- A. Consoli, G. Scarcella, G. Giannetto, and A. Testa, "A multiphase DC/DC converter for automotive dual voltage power systems." IEEE Ind. Applicat. Mag., pp. 35-42, Nov./Dec. 2004.
- Daniel W. Hartm, Power electronics, Mc Graw Hill, 2011.
- H. J. Kim, J. S. Park, Y. W. Kim, S. W. Choi, T. H. Kim, G. P. Lee, and T. W. Lee, "Optimized topology and LCL filter design of utility-interactive PCS for MCFC generation," Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 405-414, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2011.16.4.405
- Y. C. Jung, "Input ripple current formula analysis of multu-stage interleaved boost converter," The Journal of Korea Information and Communications Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 865-871, Nov. 2011.
- Y. C. Jung, "A study on generalized output capacitor ripple current equation of interleaved boost converter," The Journal of Korea Information and Communications Society, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 1429-1435, Nov. 2012.
- Z. Chen, S. Liu, and F. Ji, "Power loss analysis and comparison of two full-bridge converters with auxiliary networks," IET Power Electron., Vol. 5, pp. 1934-1943, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0218
- H. Schneeweiss, "The 48V technology from a tier 1 perspective," International Conference Automotive 48V Power Supply Systems, 2013.
- S. W. Choi, J. S. Park, and M. H. Kwon, "System for controlling bidirectional converter," Korean Patent pending 10-2013-0092123, Aug. 2. 2013.
- J. S. Park and S. W. Choi, "Design and control of a bidirectional resonant DC-DC converter for automotive engine/battery hybrid power generators," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 3748-3757, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2281826
- J. S. Park, M. H. Kwon, D. O. Moon, S. W. Choi, C. S. Kim, G. H. Lee, M. S. Song, and Y. D. Son, "Bidirectional DC-DC converter with high efficiency and high power density for ISG system," in Annual Conference of the KIPE, pp. 17-18, Jul. 2013.