- Volume 21 Issue 1
This study investigates transformer losses caused by current harmonics. Electrical transformers are designed to work under sinusoidal voltage and current waves at a rated frequency. Recently, various nonlinear loads, such as power electronic converters, are connected to a power system; these converters generate current harmonics. Current harmonics increase power loss in transformers, which results in several problems, including temperature increase of the transformer and insulation damage. These problems will eventually shorten the operational life of the transformer. In this study, different types of losses caused by current harmonics in three-phase transformers are studied under linear and nonlinear load conditions. Linear loads are simulated and experimented on using pure resistance load, whereas nonlinear loads are simulated and experimented on using a three-phase twelve-pulse thyristor full-bridge rectifier. The different types of losses in three-phase transformers are evaluated analytically through the experimental result and simulation in PSiM.
Current harmonics;Non-linear load;Transformer losses
- D. M. Said and K. M. Nor, "Simulation of the impact of harmonics on distribution transformers," IEEE International Conf. on Power and Energy (PECon'08), pp. 335-340, 2008.
- Sumaryadi, H. Gumilang, and A. Susilo, "Effect of power system harmonic effects on degradation process of transformer insulation system," IEEE International Conf, on Properties and Applications of Dielectric Materials (ICPADM'2009), pp. 261-264, 2009.
- A. A. Elmoudi, Evaluation of power system harmonic effects on transformers: Hot spot calculation and loss of life estimation, Ph. D. Thesis, Helsinki University of Technology, pp. 8-9, 2006.
- G. R. Slemon, Electric Machines and Drives, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., 1992,
- S. V. Kulkarni and S. A. Khaparde, Transformer Engineering, Marcel Dekker, Inc., 2004.
- IEEE Std. C57.110-2008, "Recommended practice for establishing liquid-filled and dry-type power and distribution transformer capability when supplying nonsinusoidal load currents," 2008.
- A. Gupta and R. Singh, "Computation of transformer losses under the effects on nonsinusoidal currents," Int. Journal Advanced Computing, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 91-104, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5121/acij.2011.2609
Grant : 전류와 전압 고조파에 의한 배전용 변압기 손실 해석
Supported by : 국제전기(주)