- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Applicability of Temperature Correction Trans-membrane Pressure as a Fouling Index of Membrane Water Treatment Process
막여과 정수처리 공정에서 온도보정차압 식의 파울링 지표로서의 활용성 검토
Kim, Minjae;Lim, Jae-Lim;Lee, Kyung-Hyuk;Lee, Young-Joo;Kim, Suhan
- Received : 2015.11.13
- Accepted : 2016.01.05
- Published : 2016.02.28
Temperature correction trans-membrane pressure (TC-TMP) is frequently used as a fouling index in membrane water treatment plants. TC-TMP equation is derived based on an assumption that the total membrane resistance (i.e. the sum of the intrinsic membrane resistance and fouling resistance) is not affected by temperature. This work verified the validity of this assumption using microfiltration (MF) and ultrafiltration (UF) membranes with and without fouling. The foulants used in the work were kaolin (inorganic) and humic acid (organic). The intrinsic resistances of MF and UF membranes remains at constant values regardless of temperature change. When the same amount of foulants were accumulated on the membrane, inorganic fouling resistance with kaolin was constant regardless of temperature change while organic fouling resistance with humic acid decreased at higher temperatures, which means that TC-TMP cannot be used as a fouling index when organic fouling occurs in a real field application. Since TC-TMP underestimates the amount of fouling at higher temperatures, more attention should be necessary in the operation of membrane water treatment plant in a hotter season like summer.
temperature correction trans-membrane pressure;membrane water treatment process;fouling index;membrane resistance
- Belfort R., Robert H.D., and Andrew L.Z. (1994) Review:The behavior of suspensions and macromolecular solution in crossflow microfiltration, Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 96: 1-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/0376-7388(94)00119-7
- Carroll, D. (1970) Clay minerals: a guide to their X-ray identification, The Geological Society of America, INC, Colorado
- Cha, D., Park, H., Kim, S., Lim, J.L., Kang, S., and Kim, C.H. (2012) A statistical approach to analyze factors affecting silt density index, Desal. Water Treat., 45, 276-283. https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2012.692040
- Glater, J., Hong, S.K., and Elimelech, M. (1994) The search for a chlorine-resistant reverse osmosis membrane, Desalination, 95, 325-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/0011-9164(94)00068-9
- HF scientific webpage, http://www.hfscientific.com
- Jung, C.W., Han, S.W. and Kang, L.S. (2002) Charateristic of organic substances adsorption onto membrane materials, Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, Vol.24, No.8, 1339-1348.
- Jin, X., Jawor, A., Kim, S., and Hoek, Eric M.V. (2009) Effects of feed water temperature on separation performance and organic fouling of brackish water RO membranes, Desalination, 239, 346-359. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2008.03.026
- Kim, S., Kim, C.H., Kang, S.H. and Lim, J.L. (2010) Long term operation of microfiltration as a pretreatment for seawater reverse osmosis processes, Journal of Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, Vol. 24, No.6, 735-741.
- Kim, M., Kim, M., Park, B. and Kim, S. (2014) Changes in characteristics of polyamide reverse osmosis membrane due to chlorine attack, Desal. Water Treat., doi: 10.1080/19443994.2014.912161 https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2014.912161
- Potts, D.E., Ahlert R.C., and Wang S.S. (1981) A critical review of fouling of reverse osmosis membranes, Desalination, 36, 235-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(00)88642-7
- Sharma, R.R. (2005) Temperatue effects on transport of water, charged, and uncharged solutes across polymeric thin film composite nanofiltration membranes: an investigation into pore-transport mechanism s and electrokinetic properties, A Dissertation Presented to the Faculty of The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering University of Houston.
- Shimadzu webpage, http://www.shimadzu.com
- Toray chemical webpage, http://www.toray-tck.com
- YSI webpage, http://www.ysi.com
- Daejung chemicals & metals webpage, http://www.daejungchem.co.kr
Supported by : 부경대학교