- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Nutrients removal enhancement using a modified rotating activated bacillus contactor (RABC) process
수정 RABC 공정을 이용한 영양염류 제거능 제고에 관한 연구
Kim, Sunhee;Kim, Donghwan;Jang, Giung;Kim, Eung-Ho
- Received : 2015.11.09
- Accepted : 2016.02.05
- Published : 2016.02.28
This study was performed to develop a new process technology for advanced wastewater treatment using a modified Rotating Activated Bacillus Contactor (RABC) process that adopts anoxic-oxic suspended biomass tanks to enhance nutrients removal. A modified lab-scale RABC process was applied to examine its applicability and to obtain the design factors for the optimum operation of the system. The modified RABC process showed a little more stable and high nutrients removal efficiency than the prototype RABC process: about 70% of nitrogen and 55% of phosphorous removal when the low organic loading (influent COD 200mg/L). However, the processing efficiency of nutrients removal rates was enhanced to great extent when high organic loading: nitrogen 90% and phosphorous 85% (influent COD 500mg/L). High organic loading stimulated extremely good biomass attachment on the reticular carrier RABC stage and the excellent nutrients removal, nevertheless with almost no offensive odor.
Advanced wastewater treatment;Bacillus sp.;Nutrients removal;RABC
- Lee, E. Y., Cho, K. S., Ryu, H. W., and Bae, M. (1998). "Removal of Hydrogen Sulfide and Ammonia by the Biofilter Inoculated with a Sulfur-Oxidizing Bacterium", 1998 Korean Society of Environmental Engineers Fall Conference, Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, Korea.
- Kim, E. H. Cho, Y. J., Park, S. J., Shin, K. S., Yim, S. B., and Jung, J. K. (2004). "Advanced Wastewater Treatment Process using Rotating Activated Bacillus Contactor (RABC)", Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality, 20(2), pp. 190-195.
- Kim, E. H., Cho, Y. J., Park, S. J., Shin, K. S. Yim, S. B., and Park, H. J. (2005). "Removal Characteristics of Total Coliforms in a Rotating Activated Bacillus Contactor Process", Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 73-78.
- Kim, E. H. (2007) "Assessment of RABC Technology, Report for Global Water Institute Korea, its parent and group companies and their advisors", pp. 35-38.
- Nam, J. H., Bae, W. K., Lee, D. H. (2007), "Effects of Bacillus and Endospore Germination on Organic Matter Removal", Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 169-175.
- Murakami, K., Dio, Y., Aoki, M., and Iriye, R. (1995). "Dominant growth of Bacillus spp. in the aerobic night soil digestion tanks and their biochemical characteristics", Journal of Japan Water Environment Society, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 97-108. https://doi.org/10.2965/jswe.18.97
- Yoon, S. C. (2009). Characteristics of nutrients removal using a modified Rotating Activated Bacillus Contactor process, Master thesis, Hongik University, Seoul, Korea.
- Park, S. J., Yoon, J. C., Shin, K. S., Kim, E. H., Yim, S. B., Cho, Y. J., Sung, G. M., Lee, D. G., Kim, S. B., Lee, D. U., Woo, S. H., and Koopman, B. (2007). "Dominance of Endospore-forming Bacteria on a Rotating Activated Bacillus Contactor Biofilm for Advanced Wastewater Treatment", The Journal of Microbiology, Microbiological Society of Korea, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 113-121.
- Starr, M. P., Stolp, H., Stuper, H. G., Balows, A., and Schlegel, H. G. (1981). The prokaryotes, Vol. 1 and 2, Springer-Verlag. Berlin.
Supported by : 홍익대학교