- Volume 10 Issue 2
A parametric study on the nonlinear seismic response of isolated reinforced concrete structural frame is presented. Three prototype frames designed according to the 1954 Hellenic seismic code, with number of floor ranging from 1 to 3 were considered. These low rise frames are representative of many existing reinforced concrete buildings in Greece. The efficacy of the implementation of both lead rubber bearings (LRB) and friction pendulum isolators (FPI) base isolation systems were examined. The selection of the isolation devices was made according to the ratio
reinforced concrete frame assessment;base isolation;nonlinear analysis;pushover analysis
- Alhan, C. and Gavin, H.P. (2005), "Reliability of base isolation for the protection of critical equipment from earthquake hazards", Eng. Struct., 27(9), 1435-1449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.04.007
- Antonopoulos, T.A. and Anagnostopoulos, S.A. (2012), "Seismic evaluation and upgrading of RC buildings with weak open ground stories", Earthq. Struct., 3(3-4), 611-628. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.3_4.611
- Applied Technology Council (1996), Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Concrete Buildings (ATC-40), Redwood City, CA.
- Cardone, D., Flora, A. and Gesualdi, G. (2013), "Inelastic response of RC frame buildings with seismic isolation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(6), 871-889. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2250
- Constantinou, M., Mokha, A. and Reinhorn, A. (1990), "Teflon bearings in base isolation II: Modeling", J. Struct. Eng., 116(2), 455-474. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1990)116:2(455)
- European Committee for Standardization (2009), EN 15129:2009, Anti-seismic devices, Brussels, Belgium.
- European Committee for Standardization (2005), EN 1998-3-2005, Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance-Part 3: assessment and retrofitting of buildings, Brussels, Belgium.
- Favvata, M.J., Naoum, M.C. and Karayannis, C.G. (2013), "Limit states of RC structures with first floor irregularities", Struct. Eng. Mech., 47(6), 791-818 https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.47.6.791
- FEMA 310 (1998), Handbook for the seismic evaluation of buildings-A prestandard, ASCE.
- Kampas, G. and Makris, N. (2012), "Time and frequency domain identification of seismically isolated structures: advantages and limitations", Earthq. Struct., 3(3-4), 249-270. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.3_4.249
- KAN.EPE. (2012), Greek Retrofitting Code, Greek Organization for Seismic Planning and Protection (OASP), Greek Ministry for Environmental Planning and Public Works, Athens. (in Greek)
- Kelly, J.M. (1997), Earthquake-Resistant Design with Rubber (2nd Edition.), Springer-Verlag, London, UK.
- Kelly, J.M. (1998), "Seismic isolation of civil buildings in the USA", Pro. Struct. Eng. Mater., 1(3), 279-285. https://doi.org/10.1002/pse.2260010309
- Kelly, J.M. (1999), "Role of damping in seismic isolation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28(1), 3-20. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199901)28:1<3::AID-EQE801>3.0.CO;2-D
- Kelly, T.E. (2001), Base Isolation of Structures, Holmes, Cosulting Group Ltd, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Guide specifications for seismic isolation design (1991), American association of state highway and transportation officials, Washington, DC.
- Konstantinidis, D. and Makris, N. (2006), "Experimental and analytical studies on the seismic response of freestanding and restrained laboratory equipment", Proceedings of the 8th US national conference on earthquake engineering (CD).
- Kunnath, S.K., Hoffmann, G. and Reinhorn, A.M. (1995), "Gravity-load-designed reinforced concrete buildings-Part I: seismic evaluation of existing construction", ACI Struct. J., 92(3), 343-354.
- Makris, N. and Kampas, G. (2013), "The engineering merit of the "Effective Period" of bilinear isolation systems", Earthq. Struct., 4(4), 397-428. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.4.397
- Manoukas, G., Athanatopoulou, G. and Avramidis, I. (2011), "Static pushover analysis based on an energyequivalent SDOF system", Earthq. Spectra, 27(1), 89-105. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.3535597
- Manoukas, G., Athanatopoulou, G. and Avramidis, I. (2012), "Multimode pushover analysis for asymmetric buildings under biaxial seismic excitation based on a new concept of the equivalent single degree of freedom system", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 38, 88-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2012.01.018
- Mavronicola, E. and Komodromos, P. (2014),"On the response of base-isolated buildings using bilinear models for LRBs subjected to pulse-like ground motions: sharp vs. smooth behavior", Earthq. Struct., 7(6), 1223-1240. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.6.1223
- Mistakidis, E.S., De Matteis, G. and Formisano, A. (2006), "Low yield metal shear panels as an alternative for the seismic upgrading of concrete structures", Adv. Eng. Soft., 38(8-9), 626-636.
- Mokha, A.S., Amin, N., Constantinou, M.C. and Zayas, V. (1996), "Seismic isolation retrofit of large historic building", J. Struct. Eng., 122(3), 298-309. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:3(298)
- Naeim, F. and Kelly, J.M. (1999), Design of seismic isolated structures, Wiley, New York, USA.
- Nagarajaiah, S., Reinhorn, A.M. and Constantinou, M.C. (1991), 3D-Basis: Non-Linear Dynamic Analysis of Three-Dimensional Base Isolated Structures: Part II, Technical Report NCEER-91-0005, National Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, USA.
- Park, Y.J., Wen, Y.K. and Ang, A.H.S. (1986), "Random vibration of hysteretic systems under bi-directional ground motions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 14(4), 543-557. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290140405
- Providakis, C.P. (2008), "Effect of LRB isolators and supplemental viscous dampers on seismic isolated buildings under near-fault excitations", Eng. Struct., 30(5), 1187-1198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.07.020
- RD (1959), Earthquake design regulation of building works, Royal Decree (19/26.02.1959), Ministry of Public Works, Greece. (in Greek)
- Skinner, R.I., Robinson, W.H. and McVerry, G.H. (1993), An introduction to seismic isolation, John Wiley and Sons, London, UK.
- Su, L., Ahmadi, G. and Tadjbakhsh, J.G. (1989), "A comparative study of performances of various base isolation systems, part I: Shear beam structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 18(1), 11-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290180104
- Thermou, G.E. and Pantazopoulou, S.J. (2011), "Assessment indices for the seismic vulnerability of existing R.C. buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 40, 293-313. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1028
- Varnava, V. and Komodromos, P. (2013), "Assessing the effect of inherent nonlinearities in the analysis and design of a low-rise base isolated steel building", Earthq. Struct., 5(5), 499-526. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.5.499
- Wen, Y.K. (1976), "Method for random vibration of hysteretic systems", J. Eng. Mech. Div., 102(2), 249-263.
- Reliability-based design of semi-rigidly connected base-isolated buildings subjected to stochastic near-fault excitations vol.11, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.4.701
- Seismic Fragility Estimates of LRB Base Isolated Frames Using Performance-Based Design vol.2017, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/5184790