- Volume 10 Issue 2
Beam-column joints are recognized as one of the most critical and vulnerable zones of a Reinforced Concrete (RC) moment resisting structure subjected to seismic loads. The performance of the deficient beam-column joints can be improved by retrofitting these joints by jacketing them with varied materials like concrete, steel, FRP and ferrocement. In the present study strength behavior of RCC exterior beam-column joints, initially loaded to a prefixed percentage of the ultimate load, and retrofitted using ferrocement jacketing using two different wrapping schemes has been studied and presented. In retrofitting scheme, RS-I, wire mesh is provided in L shape at top and at bottom of the beam-column joint, whereas, in scheme RS-II along with wire mesh in L shape at top and bottom wire mesh is also provided diagonally to the joint. The results of these retrofitted beam-column joints have been compared with those of the controlled joint specimens. The results show an improvement in the ultimate load carrying capacity and yield load of the retrofitted specimens. However, no improvement in the ductility and energy absorption has been observed.
RCC beam-column joints;retrofitting;ferrocement;ductility;energy absorption;moment and rotation
- ACI committee 549 (1982), State-of-the-Art Report on Ferrocement, American Concrete Institute, Detroit, ACI 549R-82.
- Akguzel, U. and Pampanin, S. (2010), "Effect of axial load variation on the retrofit of exterior reinforced concrete beam-column joints", Proceedings of 2010 NZSEE Conference, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Alsayed, S.H., Al-Salloum, Y.A., Almusallam, T.H. and Siddiqui, N.A. (2010), "Seismic response of FRP-Upgraded exterior RC beam-column joints", J. Compos. Constr., ASCE, 14(2), 195-208. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000067
- Bo, Li, Eddie Siu-shu, Lam, Bo, Wu and Ya-yong, Wang (2015), "Seismic behavior of reinforced concrete exterior beam-column joints strengthened by ferrocement composites", Eartq. Struct., 9(1), 233-256. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.1.233
- Bousselham, A. (2010), "State of research on seismic retrofit of RC beam-column joints with externally bonded FRP", J. Compos. Constr., ASCE, 14(1), 49-61. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000049
- Chalioris, C.E., Favvata, M.J. and Karayannis, C.G. (2008), "Reinforced concrete beam-column joints with crossed inclined bars under cyclic deformations", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(6), 881-897. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.793
- Chalioris, C.E., Thermou, G.E. and Pantazopoulou, S.J. (2014), "Behaviour of rehabilitated RC beams with self-compacting concrete jacketing-Analytical model and test results", Constr. Build. Mater., 55, 257-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.01.031
- Hakuto, S., Park, R. and Tanaka, H. (2000), "Seismic load tests on interior and exterior beam-column joints with substandard reinforcing details", ACI Struct. J., 97(1), 11-25.
- IS 8112 (1989), Indian standard 43 grade Ordinary Portland Cement-Specifications, Bureau of Indian Standards.
- Kazemi, M.T. and Morshed, R. (2005), "Seismic shear strengthening of R/C columns with ferrocement jacket", Cement Concrete Compos., 27(7), 834-842. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2005.03.011
- Karayannis, C.G. and Chalioris, C.E. (2000), "Capacity of RC joints suffered early-age cyclic loading", J. Earthq. Eng., 4(4), 479-510.
- Karayannis, C.G. and Sirkelis G.M. (2008), "Strengthening and rehabilitation of RC beam-column joints using carbon-FRP jacketing and epoxy resin injection", J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(5), 769-790. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.785
- Karayannis, Chris G., Chalioris, Constatin E. and Sirkelis, George M. (2008), "Local retrofit of exterior RC beam-column joints using thin RC jackets-An experimental study", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(5), 727-746. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.783
- Li, B., Lam, E.S.-S., Wu, B. and Wang, Y.-Y. (2013), "Experimental investigation on reinforced concrete interior beam-column joints rehabilitated by ferrocement jackets", Eng. Struct, 56, 897-909. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.05.038
- Paramasivam, P. and Ravindrarajah, R.S. (1988), "Effect of arrangements of reinforcements on mechanical properties of ferrocement", ACI Struct. J., 85(1),17-25.
- Paulay, T. and Preistley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings, John Wiley Publications, New York.
- Ricardo, J.T. Costa, Fernando, C.T. Gomes, Paulo, M.M.P. Providencia and Alfredo, M.P.G. Dias (2013), "Influence of shear deformation of exterior beam-column joints on the quasi-static behavior of RC framed structures", Comput. Concrete, 12(4), 393-411. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2013.12.4.393
- Sasmal, S. (2009), "Performance evaluation and strengthening of deficient beam-column sub assemblages under cyclic loading", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart.
- Shannag, M.J. and Mourad, S.M. (2012), "Flowable high strength cementitious matrices for ferrocement applications", Constr. Build. Mater., 36, 933-939. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.06.051
- Tsonos, A.G., Tegos, I.A. and Penelis, G.G. (1992), "Seismic resistance of Type 2 exterior beam-column joints reinforced with inclined bars", ACI Struct. J., 89(1), 3-12.
- Tsonos, Alexander G. (2008), "Effectiveness of CFRP-jackets and RC-jackets in post-earthquake and pre earthquake retrofitting of beam-column subassemblages", Eng. Struct., 30(3), 777-793. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.05.008
- Investigation of shear strength models for exterior RC beam-column joint vol.58, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.58.3.475
- Nonlinear seismic analysis of a super 13-element reinforced concrete beam-column joint model vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.5.905
- Seismic Performance of Exterior RC Beam–Column Joints Retrofitted using Various Retrofit Solutions vol.11, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-017-0203-x