- Volume 10 Issue 2
The structural collapse of masonry structure under dynamic loading displays many possible failure mechanisms often related to interaction between structural components. Roof collapse is one of the major damage mechanisms observed in masonry structures during an earthquake. Better connection between the roof diaphragm and walls may be preventing roof collapse, but it can affect other failure mechanisms. In spite of this fact, less attention has been paid to the influence of the roof diaphragm effect on masonry structures and little research has been implemented in this field. In the present study, the roof diaphragm effect on the unreinforced masonry structure under dynamic loading has been experimentally investigated. Three one-quarter scale one-story adobe masonry house models with different roof conditions have been tested by subjecting them to sinusoid loading on a shaking table simulator. Phenomena such as failure pattern, dynamic performance of masonry structure were examined.
masonry;roof diaphragm;shaking table test;shear resistance;drift
- ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials) E 519-10. (2010), Standard test method for diagonal tension (shear) in masonry assemblages, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, ASTM International, West Conshohocken PA.
- Araujo, A.S., Oliveira, D.V. and Lourenco, P.B. (2014), "Numerical study on the performance of improved masonry-to-timber connections in traditional masonry buildings", Eng. Struct., 80, 501-513. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.09.027
- Benjamin, J.R. (1988), A criterion for determining exceedance of the operating basis earthquake, Report No. EPRI NP-5930, Electrical Power Research Institute, Palo Alto, California, USA.
- British Standards Institution (1999), BS EN 1052-1:1999, Methods of test for masonry-Part 1: Determination of compressive strength, BSI, London, UK.
- British Standards Institution (2002), BS EN 1052-3:2002, Methods of test for masonry-part 3: determination of initial shear strength, BSI, London, UK.
- International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO) (1997), Uniform Building Code, ICBO, Whittier, CA, USA.
- Lourenco, P.B., Mendes, N., Ramos, L.F. and Oliveira, D.V. (2011), "Analysis of masonry structures without box behavior", Int. J. Architec. Herit.: Conserv., Anal. Rest., 5(4-5), 369-382. https://doi.org/10.1080/15583058.2010.528824
- Magenes, G., Penna, A., Senaldi, I.E., Galasco, A. and Rota, M. (2013), "Experimental investigation on the effect of diaphragm in-plane stiffness on the seismic response of masonry buildings", 12th Canadian Masonry Symposium, Vancouver B.C., Canada.
- Magenes. G., Penna, A., Senaldi, I.E., Rota, M. and Galasco, A. (2014), "Shaking table test of a strengthened full scale stone masonry building with flexible diaphragms", Int. J. Architec. Herit., 8(3), 349-375. https://doi.org/10.1080/15583058.2013.826299
- Rota, M., Penna, A., Strobbia, C. and Magenes, G. (2011), "Typological seismic risk maps for Italy", Earthq. Spectra, 27(3), 907-926. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.3609850
- Sathiparan, N., Mayorca, P., Nesheli, N., Ramesh, G. and Meguro, K. (2005), "In-Plane and Out-of-Plane behavior of PP-band retrofitted masonry wallettes",4th International Symposium on New Technologies for Urban Safety of Mega Cities in Asia, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Sathiparan, N., Mayorca, P. and Meguro, K. (2012), "Shaking table test on one-quarter scale models of masonry houses retrofitted with PP-band mesh", Earthq. Spectra, 28(1), 277-299. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.3675357
- Sathiparan, N. and Meguro, K. (2012), "Seismic behavior of low earthquake-resistant arch-shaped roof masonry houses retrofitted by PP-band meshes", Practice Period. Struct. Des. Constr., 17(2), 54-64. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)SC.1943-5576.0000113
- Senaldi, I., Magenes, G., Penna, A., Galasco, A. and Rota, M. (2013), "The effect of stiffened floor and roof diaphragms on the experimental seismic response of a full scale unreinforced stone masonry building", J. Earthq. Eng., 18(3), 407-443.
- Simsir C.C., Aschheim, M.A. and Abrams, D.P. (2004), "Out-of-plane dynamic response of unreinforced masonry bearing walls attached to flexible diaphragms", 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver B.C., Canada.
- Tomazevic, M., Velechovsky, T. and Weiss, P. (1992), "The effect of interventions in the floor structural system on the seismic resistance of historic stone-masonry buildings: An experimental study", 10th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Madrid, Spain.
- Role of diaphragm flexibility modelling in seismic analysis of existing masonry structures vol.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.istruc.2017.04.001
Supported by : Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan