- Volume 28 Issue 1
This study was to describe and understand the experiences of the physical disabled adult attending in public welfare program. The interview data were collected from seven persons and analyzed by using descriptive phenomenology of Colazzi. The procedural steps were that described the phenomenon of interest, collected participants' descriptions of the phenomenon, extracted the meaning of significant statements, organized the meanings into them clusters, wrote exhaustive descriptions and then incorporated data into an exhaustive description. The finding in 129 re-statements, 63 constructed meanings, 35 themes, 13 theme clusters, and six categories were deduced. The six categories were 'Life patterns exclusive health', 'Powerlessness by physical disabilities', 'Social supports', 'Positive motivation', 'Seeking to be holistic health', and 'Sense of accomplishment'. The study identified that social welfare program for the disabled necessities for health, learning, economy and their future in success. Therefore, we suggest there may be a need for supplying professional program for their health and welfare.
Qualitative research;Health promotion;Disabled persons;Socialization
- Choi, Gyeong-Jin.Kim, Keon-Yeop.Lee, Duck-Hee.Han, Chang-Hyun & Choi, Se-Mook(2011). The rehabilitation services utilization of people with disabilities in a rural area, Journal of Agricultural Medicine Community Health, 36(4), 227-237. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2011.36.4.227
- Colaizzi, F. E.(1978). Psychological research as the phenomenologist views it. In R. Valle, M. King (Eds), Existential phenomenological alternatives for psychology(pp. 48-71). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Gretebeck, R. J..Ferraro, K. F..Black, D. R..Holland, K. & Gretebeck, K. A.(2012). Longitudinal change in physical activity and disability in adults. American Journal of Health Behavior, 36, 386-394.
- Kim, Kye-Ha.Kim, Ok-Soo(2005). Influencing factors on HRQOL of physically disabled persons, Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 35(3), 478-486. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.3.478
- Kim, Sang-Youp.Kang, Kyung-Sook.Kim, Seung-Hee.Lee, Jeong-Un & Chang, Mi-Young(2015). Utilization status of community-based rehabilitation services and depression by the persons with disabilities in community, Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics, 40(1), 101-116.
- Ko, Un & Hong, Suk(2013). A study on nondisabled people's sense of social distance from the disabled, Journal of Special Education & Rehabilitation Science, 52(4), 127-151.
- Lincoln, Y. S. & Guba, E. G.(1985). Naturalistic Inquiry. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Lee, Hea-Young(2006). Effects of a rehabilitation nursing program on muscle strength, flexibility, self efficacy and health related quality of life in disabilities, Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 36(3), 484-492. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.3.484
- Lee, Jee-soo(2011). The effect of experienced discrimination and self stigma on life satisfaction of people with disabilities, Social Science Research Review, 27(1), 277-299.
- Lee, Sung-Dae.Hong, Jung-A & Yeum, Dong-Moon (2012). The study on the current status and condition of internet addiction related to disabled person information technology education, Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of Korea, 6(2), 63-69.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare(2015). Survey on the current status of the disability. Daejeon: the Author.
- Pain, H. & Wiles, R.(2006). The experience of being disabled and obese. Disability and Rehabilitation, 28, 1211-1220. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638280600554561
- Shin, Kyong-Rim et al.(2005). Methodology of Qualitative Research. Seoul: Ewha Womans University.
- Verhoef, J. A..Roebroeck, M. E..Schaardenburgh, N. V..Floothuis, M. C. & Miedema, H. S.(2013). Improved occupational performance of young adults with a physical disability after a vocational rehabilitation intervention. Journal of Occupation and Rehabilitation, 24, 42-51.