- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Multiple Sources Evaluation for Practical Education in the Core Basic Nursing Skills in Nursing Students
핵심기본간호술 실습교육에 대한 다면평가 연구
Song, Hyo-Suk;Lim, So Hee
- Received : 2015.08.30
- Accepted : 2015.11.01
- Published : 2016.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to provide essential resources on various evaluation strategies by identifying relationships between professor-evaluation, peer-evaluation, and self-evaluation of the core basic nursing skills in nursing students. Methods: Forty third-year nursing students who participated in core basic nursing skills were given the same checklist that was used for assessment by the examiners. Then, the scores of the professor and the students were compared and analyzed with SPSS/WIN 18.0. Results: The scores of the student peer (178.54) and student self-evaluation(177.74) was significantly higher than the scores of professor-evaluation (172.05),(F=5.03, p=.008). There was a significant, positive correlation between the professor-evaluation and the student-peer-evaluation in skill-scores(r=.47, p=.002) and attitude-scores(r=.52, p<.001). In addition, the professor-evaluation and the self-evaluation each showed a significant, positive correlation in skill-scores(r=.61, p<.001) and attitude-scores(r=.36, p=.023). Conclusion: The study result indicates that in order to expand the evaluation method, the professor evaluation, as well as the student self and the peer evaluation, will contribute to improve the educational achievement of learners.
Nursing education;Self-evaluation;Nursing student
- Hur, H. K., Park, S. M., Shin, Y. H., Lim, Y. M., Kim, G. Y., Kim, K. K., et al. (2013). Development and applicability evaluation of an emergent care management simulation practicum for nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 19(2), 228-240. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.228 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.228
- Iikura, A. (2014). A comparison of teachers' and students' evaluations on OSCE performance among college nursing students. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Im, S. J., Yune, S. J., Kang, S. Y., Lee, S. Y., Kim, H. K., & Jeong, H. J. (2007). The effect of direct feedback in teaching endotracheal intubation. Korean Journal of Medical Education, 19, 325-333. http://dx.doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2007.19.4.325 https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2007.19.4.325
- Jho, M. Y. (2014). Effects of core fundamental nursing skills education on self-efficacy, clinical competence and practice satisfaction in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 21(3), 292-301. http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkanfn.2014.21.3.292 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.3.292
- Joo, K. S. (2002). A comparative study on washback effect of english speaking performance assessment in middle school. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kajita, E. (2010). 'Kyouiku hyouka dai 2han hotei 2ban (Education evaluation 2nd ed. 2nd Rev. ed.)'. Tokyo, Japan: YuhikakuSousho.
- Kim, J. Y. (2012). Development of a scenario of simulation and analysis of the effect of debriefing: focused on case of cerebral hemorrhage patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Eulji University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. Y., & Choi, E. Y. (2008). Learning element recognition and academic achievement of nursing student receiving PBL with simulation education. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 20(5), 731-742.
- Kim, M. J. (2005). The effects of the assessor and assessee's roles on preservice teachers' metacognitive awareness, performance, and attitude in a technology-related design task. Journal of Educational Technology, 21(4), 1-28.
- Kinoshita, Y., & Kawakami, C. (2007). Literature review on evaluation of goal achievement in clinical nursing practice. Memoirs Department of Health Science School of Medicine Kyushu University, 8, 49-58.
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. (2012). Core basic nursing skill items. Retrieved July 17, 2013, from the Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. Web site: http://www.kabone.or.kr/HyAdmin/upload/goodFile/120120319112302.pdf
- Mattheos, N., Nattestad, A., Falk-Nilsson, E., & Attstrom, R. (2004). The interactive examination: assessing students' self-assessment ability. Medical and Health Sciences Education Journal, 238, 378-389. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2004.01788.x
- McMillan, M., & Dwyer, J. (1990). Facilitating a match between teaching and learning styles. Nursing Education Today, 10, 186-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/0260-6917(90)90024-K
- Mittan, R. (1989). The peer review process: harnessing students' communicative power. In D. M. Johnson & D. H. Roen(Eds.), Richness in writing: Empowering ESL students. White Plains, NY:Longman.
- Ahn, J. Y. (2008). A case study on the application of peer assessment technique in the e-learning environment. Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, 2(1), 27-32. https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2008.06.2.1.27
- Baxter, P., & Norman, G. (2011). Self-assessment or self deception? A lack of association between nursing students' self-assessment and performance. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 67, 2406-2413. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05658.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05658.x
- Coutts, L., & Rogers, J. (1999). Predictors of student self-assessment accuracy during a clinical performance exam: comparisons between over-estimators and under-estimators of SP-evaluated performance. Journal of Academy of Medical Sciences, 74, S128-S130.
- Evans, A. W., Leeson, R. M., & Newton-John, T. R. (2002). The influence of self-deception and impression management on surgeons' self-assessment scores. Medical and Health Sciences Education Journal, 36, 1095. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2002.134612.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2002.134612.x
- Gordon, M. J. (1991). A review of the validity and accuracy of self-assessments in health professions training. Journal of Academy of Medical Sciences, 66, 762-769.
- Han, M. H., & Park, S. G. (2009). Differences between scores assessed by examiners and examines on objective structured clinical examination. Korean Journal of Medical Education, 21, 279-285. http://dx.doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2009.21.3.279 https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2009.21.3.279
- Han, M. H., & Park, S. G. (2011). Analysis of trends in self assessment of performance of clinical skills in nursing students after OSCE. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18, 210-216.
- Paik, H. J. (2004). Educational evaluation of competency in nursing skills through open laboratory self-directed practice. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals Nursing, 11(1), 13-20.
- Park, S. N., & Lee, S. K. (2008). Factors influencing basic nursing skill competency in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals Nursing, 15(1), 6-13.
- Regehr, G., Hodges, B., Tiberius, R., & Lofchy, J. (1996). Measuring self-assessment skills: an innovative relative ranking model. Journal of Academy of Medical Sciences, 71, S52-S54.
- Song, S. (2013). The effect of-self-evaluation method using video recording on competency in nursing skills, self-directed learning ability, problem solving ability, and academic self-efficacy. Unpublished master's thesis, Sungshin Women's University, Seoul.
- Suwan, N., Kasatpibal, N., & Sawasdisingha, P. (2013). Effects of student-centered teaching on knowledge, practice, and satisfaction of clean techniques among second year nursing students. Singapore Nursing Journal, 40(4), 30-37.
- Violato, C., & Lockyer, J. (2006). Self and peer assessment of pediatricians, psychiatrists and medicine specialists: implications for self-directed learning. Advances in Health Sciences Education, 11, 235-244. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10459-005-5639-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10459-005-5639-0
- Yoo, M. S., & Yoo, I. Y. (2011). The effectiveness of standardized patient managed instruction for a fundamentals of nursing course. Korean Journal of Nursing Query, 10(1), 89-109.
- Yoon, J., Kim, K. J., & Choi, M. S. (2013). The effects of OSCE application before clinical practice for nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, 19(2), 273-284. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.273 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.273