- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Health Status and Health Management on Activities of Daily Living among Urban-Dwelling Older Koreans
도시 재가노인의 건강상태, 건강관리형태 및 일상생활수행능력
- Received : 2015.10.28
- Accepted : 2016.02.08
- Published : 2016.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the effects of health status and health management on activities of daily living (ADL) in older, urban-dwelling Koreans. Methods: A total of 206 subjects were recruited from one senior welfare center, six senior citizen centers, and subjects' home in two cities. Data was collected with self-reported questionnaires in order to measure health management, health status, and ADL. Data was analyzed by t-test, ANOVA, and stepwise multiple linear regression using SPSS/WIN 22.0. Results: ADL in this subject were different depending on their age, education, marital status, type of family, and average monthly living expenses. Multivariate analysis showed that age (
Health status;Health care;Activities of daily living;Aged
- Bae, S. Y., Ko, D. S., Noh, J. S., Lee, B. H., Park, H. S., & Park, J. (2010). Relation of physical activity and health-related quality of life in korean elderly. The Korea Contents Society, 10(10), 255-266. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.10.10.255 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.10.10.255
- Brennan, F. H. (2002). Exercise prescriptions for active seniors: a team approach for maximizing adherence. The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 30(2), 19-29. http://dx.doi.org/10.3810/psm.2002.02.170 https://doi.org/10.3810/psm.2002.02.170
- Chang, M. S. & Park, K. S. (2012). Factors affecting life satisfaction for the aged : from the ecosystem perspective. Health and Social Welfare Review, 32(2), 232-266. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE01899744 https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2012.32.2.232
- Choi, H. S. & Ha, J. C. (2012). A study on the relations between the quality of life and the life satisfaction of the elderly. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 23(3), 559-568. http://dx.doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2012.23.3.559 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2012.23.3.559
- Chung, M. S. & Lim, K. C. (2015). Health status and complementary and alternative therapies in the community dwelling pre-elderly and elderly. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 18(1), 46-56. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE06384019 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2015.46
- Cline, M. E., Herman, J., Shaw, E. R., & Morton, R. D. (1992). Standardization of the visual analogue scale. Nursing Research, 41(6), 378-380.
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Buchner, A., & Lang, A. G. (2009). Statistical power analyses using G* Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analysis. Behavior Research Methods, 41(4), 1149-1160. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Han, J. J. (2002). Study on the welfare elderly and measures for improvement in rural community. Gwachon: The Agriculture Ministry.
- Han, Y. S., & Lee, S. J. (2008). Effects of combined exercise program for 8 weeks on physical fitness in elderly farmers. The Korean Journal of Growth and Development, 16(4), 313-318.
- Ho, H. K., Matsubayashi, K., Wada, T., Kimura, M., Kita, T., & Saijoh, K. (2002). Factors associated with ADL dependence: a comparative study of residential care home and community-dwelling elderly in Japan. Geriatrics & Gerontology International, 2(2), 80-86. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-1586.2002.00026x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-1586.2002.00026.x
- Hyun, K. J. (2004). An exploratory study of sources and themes of happiness among Koreans: a longitudinal approach. Mental Health & Social Work, 18(1), 60-100.
- Jeong, G. H., Lee, Y. K., Park, B. M., Lee, S. J., & Lee, Y. H. (2012). Analysis of the survey of living conditions and welfare needs of older Koreans. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs: Research Report 2012-47-14.
- Jung, J. Y., Kim, J. S., Choi, H. J., Lee, K. Y., & Park, T. J. (2009). Factors associated with ADL and IADL from the third Korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES III), 2005. Korean Journal of Family Medicine, 30(8), 598-609. http://dx.doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.8.598 https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.8.598
- Kim, E. H. & Lee, J. W. (2009). Factors influencing health-related quality of life in elderly who visited a senior center: with activity of daily living, quality of sleep and depression. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 29(2), 425-440.
- Kim, I. H. (2011). Age and gender differences in the relation of chronic diseases to activity of daily living (ADL) disability for elderly south koreans: based on representative data. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 44(1), 32-40. http://dx.doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2011.44.1.32 https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2011.44.1.32
- Kim, J. Y., Lee, S. G., & Lee, S. K. (2010). The relationship between health behaviors, health status, activities of daily living and health-related quality of life in the elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 30(2), 471-484.
- Lee, K. J., & Park, H. S. (2006). A study on the perceived health status, depression, and activities of daily living for elderly in urban areas. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 12(3), 221-230.
- Lim, N. G., Lee, M. S., Na, B. J., Kim, K. Y., Hong, J. Y., Kim, D. K., et al. (2004). Related factors of physical function in a rural aged people. Journal of Korean Geriatrics Society, 8(2), 69-81.
- Murtagh, K. N., & Hubert, H. B. (2004). Gender differences in physical disability among an elderly cohort. American Journal of Public Health, 94(8), 1406-1411. http://dx.doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.94.8.1406 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.94.8.1406
- Park, M. H., Choi, E. H., & Choi, K. S. (2015). A study on health knowledge, health promoting behavior and needs for healthcare service in the elderly in a rural area. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 21(1), 18-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2015.21.1.18 https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2015.21.1.18
- Park, Y. J. (2012). The senescence health management in well-being culture. Korean Society for Wellness, 7(1), 45-57. http://www.earticle.net/article.aspx?sn=170487
- Resnick, B., Klinedinst, N. J., Yerges-Armstrong, L., Choi, E. Y., & Dorsy, S. G. (2015). The impact of genetics on physical resilience and successful aging. Journal of Aging and Health, 27(6), 1084-1104. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0898264315577586 https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264315577586
- Rist, P. M., Marden, J. R., Capistrant, B. D., Wu, Q., & Glymour, M. M. (2015). Do physical activity, smoking, drinking, or depression modify transitions from cognitive impairment to functional disability? Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 44(4), 1171-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/JAD-141866 https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-141866
- Shin, K. R., Byeon, Y. S., Kang, Y. H., & Oak, J. W. (2008). A study on physical symptom, activity of daily living, and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in the community-dwelling older adults. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 38(3), 437-444. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.437 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.437
- Song, K. C., & Kim, D. K. (2002). Activities of daily living of elderly in a rural areas and study for related factors. Journal of Korean Geriatrics Society, 6(1), 29-40.
- Song, M. S. (2004). Self-management education model based on concept of health promotion for older adults with chronic illness. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Nursing, 6(2), 228-242.
- Sung, G. W. (2005). Scale development on health conservation of the institutionalized elderly. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 35(1), 113-124. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.1.113
- Sunwoo, D., Oh, Y. H., Lee, S. H., Oh, J. S., & Lee, S. G. (2009). The future policy issues for health of the eldery: construction of functional independence promotion system of everyday living activity. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs
- Strawbridge, W. J., Wallhagen, M. I., & Cohen, R. D. (2002). Successful aging & well being; self related compared with Rowe and Khan. The Gerontologist, 42(6), 727-733. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/42.6.727 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/42.6.727
- World Health Organization. (2002). Facts related to chronic diseases and the global strategy on diet, physical activity, and health. GENEVA
- The Effects of a Functional Game (Rejuvenescent Village) for Older Koreans’ Cognitive Function, Instrumental Activities of Daily Living, Depression, and Life Satisfaction vol.18, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2016.18.4.296
- Risk Factors for Suicidal Ideation among Middle Class Korean: Focusing on Psychosocial Comparison - An Analysis of a Nationwide Survey of the 8th Korea Health Panel Data vol.29, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2018.29.1.1
Supported by : 성신여자대학교