- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Numerical Analysis of Vortex Induced Vibration of Circular Cylinder in Lock-in Regime
Lock-in 영역에서 원형실린더의 와류유기진동 전산해석
Lee, Sungsu;Hwang, Kyu-Kwan;Son, Hyun-A;Jung, Dong-Ho
- Received : 2015.08.09
- Accepted : 2015.10.09
- Published : 2016.02.28
The slender structures such as high rise building or marine riser are highly susceptible to dynamic force exerted by fluid-structure interactions among which vortex-induced vibration(VIV) is the main cause of dynamic unstability of the structural system. If VIV occurs in natural frequency regime of the structure, fatigue failure likely happens by so-called lock-in phenomenon. This study presents the numerical analysis of dynamic behavior of both structure and fluid in the lock-in regimes and investigates the subjacent phenomena to hold the resonance frequency in spite of the change of flow condition. Unsteady and laminar flow was considered for a two-dimensional circular cylinder which was assumed to move freely in 1 degree of freedom in the direction orthogonal to the uniform inflow. Fluid-structure interaction was implemented by solving both unsteady flow and dynamic motion of the structure sequentially in each time step where the fluid domain was remeshed considering the movement of the body. The results show reasonable agreements with previous studies and reveal characteristic features of the lock-in phenomena. Not only the lift force but also drag force are drastically increasing during the lock-in regime, the vertical displacement of the cylinder reaches up to 20% of the diameter of the cylinder. The correlation analysis between lift and vertical displacement clearly show the dramatic change of the phase difference from in-phase to out-of-phase when the cylinder experiences lock-in. From the results, it can be postulated that the change of phase difference and flow condition is responsible for the resonating behavior of the structure during lock-in.
slender structure;riser;vortex-induced vibration(VIV);lock-in phenomenon
- Blackburns, H., Henderson, R. (1996) Lock-In Behavior in Simulated Vortex-Induced Vibration, Exp. Therm. & Fluid Sci., 12, pp.184-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/0894-1777(95)00093-3
- Blevins, R.D. (1974) Flow Induced Vibration of Vluff Structures, Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, California Institute of Technology, p.146.
- Dettmer, W., Peric, D. (2006) A Computational Framework for Fluid-Rigid Body Interaction: Finite Element Formulation and Applications, Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. & Eng., 195, pp.1633-1666. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2005.05.033
- Feng, C.C. (1963) The Measurement of Vortex Induced Effects in Flow Past Stationary and Oscillating and D-Sectioin Cylinders, Degree of Master, National Taiwan University, p.100.
- Gabbai, R.D., Benaroya, H. (2005) An Overview of Modeling and Experiments of Vortex-Induced Vibration of Circular Cylinders, Fluid of Sound & Vib., 282, pp.575-616, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2004.04.017
- Guilmineau, E., Queutey, P. (2004) Numerical Simulation of Vortex-Induced Vibration of a Circular Cylinder with Low Mass-Damping in a Turbulent Flow, J. Fluids & Struct., 19, pp.449-466. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2004.02.004
- Groncalves, R.A., Teixeira, P.R.F., Didier, E. (2012) Numerical Simulations of Low Reynolds Number Flows Past Elastically Mounted Cylinder, Therm. Eng., 11, pp.61-67.
- Lee, H.B., Rhee, S.H. (2010) Ananlysis of Two-Dimensional Flow Around an Oscillating Cylinder using Moving Mesh Techniques, Korean Soc. Comput. Fluids Eng., pp.542-547.
- Lee, J.S., Kim, J.D. (1994) An Analysis of Coupled Wind-Structure Interaction, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 24, pp.4-10.
- Anagnostopoulos, P., Bearman P.W. (1992) Response Characteristics of a Vortex-Excited Cylinder at Low Reynolds Numbers, J. Fluids & Struct., 14(6), pp.39-50.
- Lee, T.L., Jang, Y.S. (2013) A FSI Simulation Technique based on Immersed Finite Element Method, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 26, pp.43-47.
- Placzek, A., Sigrist, J., Hamdouni, A. (2009) Numerical Simulation of an Oscillating Cylinder in a Cross-Flow at Low Reynolds Number, Comput. & Fluids, 38, pp.80-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2008.01.007
- Prasanth, T.K., Mittal, S. (2008) Vortex-Induced Vibrations of a Circular Cylinder at Low Reynolds Number, J. Fluid Mech., 594, pp.463-491.
- Rockwell, D. (2001) Forced and Wake Modes of an Oscillating Cylinder, J. Fluid & Struct., 15, pp.523-532. https://doi.org/10.1006/jfls.2000.0363
- Sarpkaya, T. (2004) A Critical Review of the Intrinsic Nature of Vortex-induced Vibrations, J. Fluids & Struct., 19, pp.389-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2004.02.005
- Willianson, C.H.K. (1989) Oblique and Parallel Modes of Vortex Shedding in the Wake of a Circular Cylinder at low Reynolds Numbers, J. Fluids Mech., 206, pp.579-627. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112089002429
Grant : 해양 심층수의 에너지 이용기술 개발
Supported by : 선박해양플랜트연구소