- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Evaluations of Coagulation Process for Membrane Pre-treatment using Floc Growth Rate Analyzer
응집 플록 성장률 측정기를 이용한 멤브레인 공정의 전처리 응집공정 평가
- Son, Hee-Jong (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority) ;
- Kim, Sang-Goo (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority) ;
- Kim, Do-Hwan (Water Quality Institute, Busan Water Authority) ;
- Kang, So-Won (Department of Bio-chemical Engineering, Friedrich-Alexander University) ;
- Choi, Young-Ik (Department of Environmental Engineering, Dong-A University)
- 손희종 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 김상구 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 김도환 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 강소원 (프리드리히-알렉산더대학교 생명화학공학과) ;
- 최영익 (동아대학교 환경공학과)
- Received : 2015.08.13
- Accepted : 2016.02.11
- Published : 2016.02.29
In this study, we have investigated to find optimal pre-treatment flocculation condition by analyzing the floc growth rate with mixing conditions and the membrane permeation flux for pre-treatment step of the membrane process. The higher mixing intensity showed a constant floc size index (FSI) values, and lower mixing intensity increased the degree of dispersion of the FSI values. Results of comparing the distribution characteristics of the FSI value and the permeation flux were more effective in increasing flux when the FSI values were 0.2 or higher. The degree of dispersion of FSI was relatively large in 40 rpm mixing condition compared to 120 rpm. In 40 rpm mixing condition, it decreased the permeation flux compared to 120 rpm because various sizes of flocs were distributed. Coagulation-UF membrane process enhanced 30%~40% of the flux rate compare to UF alone process, and the coagulation-MF process increased up to 5% of the flux rate compare to MF alone process. Pre-treatment, that is, coagulation process, has been found to be less effects on relatively larger pore size for MF membrane. For UF membrane, the flux was a little bit same when applying only the rapid mixing process or rapid mixing with slow mixing processes together. In case of MF membrane, the flux was improved when rapid mixing process applied with slow mixing process together.
Membrane process;Coagulation;Flocculation intensity;Floc size index (FSI);Membrane pore size
Supported by : 동아대학교
- Aoustin, E., Schafer, A. I., Fane, A. G., Waite, T. D., 2001, Ultrafiltration of natural organic matter, Sep. Purif. Technol., 22(23), 63-78.
- Chang, H., Qu, F., Liu, B., Yu, H., Li, K., Shao, S., Li, G., Liang, H., 2015, Hydraulic irreversibility of ultrafiltration membrane fouling by humic acid: effects of membrane properties and backwash water composition, J. Membr. Sci., 493, 723-733. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2015.07.001
- Fan, L. H., Nguyen, T., Roddick, F. A., Harris, J. L., 2008, Low-pressure membrane filtration of secondary effluent in water reuse: pre-treatment for fouling reduction, J. Membr. Sci., 320, 135-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2008.03.058
- Fitzpatrick, C. S. B., Fradin, E., Gregory, J., 2004, Temperature effects on flocculation, using different coagulants, Water Sci. Technol., 50(12), 171-175.
- Gregory, J., 2004, Monitoring floc formation and breakage, Water Sci. Technol., 50(12), 163-170.
- Jung, C. W., Son, H. J., 2008, The evaluation of fouling mechanism on cross flow precoagulation-UF process, Kor. Chem. Eng. Res., 46(3), 639-645.
- Jung, C. W., Son, H. J., Kang, L. S., 2006, Effects of membrane material and pretreatment coagulation on membrane fouling: fouling mechanism and NOM removal, Desalination, 197, 154-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2005.12.022
- Jung, C. W., Kang, L. S., 2003, Application of combined coagulation-ultrafiltration membrane process for water treatment, Kor. J. Chem. Eng., 20(5), 855-866. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02697288
- Kwon, D. Y., Vigneswaran, S., Fane, A. G., Bem Aim, R., 2000, Experimental determination of critical flux in cross-flow microfiltration, Sep. Purif. Technol., 19, 169-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5866(99)00088-X
- Son, H. J., Hwang, Y. D., Roh, J. S., Ji, K. W., Sin, P. S., Jung, C. W., Kang, L. S., 2005, Application of MIEX pre-treatment for ultrafiltration membrane process for NOM removal and fouling reduction, Water Sci. Technol.: Water Suppl., 5(5), 15-24.
- Son, H. J., Yoom, H. S., Kim, S. G., Seo, C. D., Hwang, Y. D., 2014, Evaluation of coagulation characteristics of Fe(III) and Al(III) coagulant using on-line monitoring technique, J. Environ. Sci. Intl., 23(4), 715-722. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.4.715
- Yu, W., Graham, N. J. D., 2015, Performance of an intergrated granular media - ultrafiltration membrane process for drinking water treatment, J. Membr. Sci., 492, 164-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2015.05.032
- Gregory, J., Nelson, D. W., 1986, Monitoring of aggregates in flowing suspensions, Colloids Surf., 18, 175-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-6622(86)80312-2