- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Diurnal Variations in the Horizontal Temperature Distribution using the High Density Urban Climate Observation Network of Daegu in Summer
고밀도 도시기후관측 망 자료를 이용한 대구의 여름철 기온 수평 공간 분포의 일변화
- Kim, Sang-Hyun (Department of Global Environment, Keimyung University) ;
- Kim, Baek-Jo (Applied Meteorology Research Division, National Institute of Meteorological Research, KMA) ;
- Kim, Hae-Dong (Department of Global Environment, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2015.10.06
- Accepted : 2016.01.04
- Published : 2016.02.29
We analyzed diurnal variations in the surface air temperature using the high density urban climate observation network of Daegu in summer, 2013. We compared the time elements, which are characterized by the diurnal variation of surface air temperature. The warming and cooling rates in rural areas are faster than in urban areas. It is mainly due to the difference of surface heat capacity. In addition, local wind circulation also affects the discrepancy of thermal spatiotemporal distribution in Daegu. Namely, the valley and mountain breezes affect diurnal variation of horizontal distribution of air temperature. During daytimes, the air(valley breeze) flows up from urban located at lowlands to higher altitudes of rural areas. The temperature of valley breeze rises gradually as it flows from lowland to upland. Hence the difference of air temperature decreases between urban and rural areas. At nighttime, the mountains cool more rapidly than do low-lying areas, so the air(mountain breeze) becomes denser and sinks toward the valleys(lowlands). As the result, the air temperature becomes lower in rural areas than in urban areas.
Urban climate;Heat capacity;Mountain and valley breeze;Local wind circulation
Supported by : 국립기상과학원
- Do, W. G., Jung, W. S., 2012, An analysis on the variation trend of urban heat island in Busan area (2006-2010), Journal of Environmental Sciences, 21, 953-964. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2012.21.8.953
- Hujibe, T., 1993, Daily change of air temperature distribution in Kanto Plateau on Spring and Summer, Tenki, 40, 759-767.
- Mikami, T., 1999, Investigation of urban heat island based on the ground monitoring system, Monitoring and management of urban heat island interim report, Japan Science and Technology Corporation, 1-3.
- Kim, S. H., Cho, C. B., Kim, H. D., 2014, Investigation of urban high temperature phenomenon in summer using the high density ground monitoring system in Daegu metropolitan area, Journal of Environmental Science International, 23, 1619-1626. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.9.1619
- Kanou, M., Mikami, T., 2003, Interaction between the heat island phenomena and mountain breeze in an urban area located on a valley mouth, Tenki, 50, 3-10.
- Landsberg, H. E., 1981, The urban climate, Academic Press, Newyork, 275.
- Lee, S. H., Kim, H. D., 2008, Effects of regional warming due to urbanization on daytime local circulations in a complex basin of the Daegu metropolitan area, Korea, Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 47, 1427-1441. https://doi.org/10.1175/JAMC1504.1
- Moriyama, M. K., 2004, Countermeasure and technology against heat island, Kakugei Press, 88-131.
- Mizukoshi, M., Yamashita, S., 1993, Introduction to Climatology, Kokin Press, 90-95.
- Oke, T. R., 1973, City size and the urban heat island, Atmospheric Environment, 7, 769-779. https://doi.org/10.1016/0004-6981(73)90140-6
- Oke, T. R., Maxwell, G. B., 1975, Urban heat island dynamics in Montreal and Vancouver, Atmospheric Environment, 9, 191-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/0004-6981(75)90067-0
- Park, M. H., Lee, J. S., Ahn, J. S., Suh, Y. S., Han, I. S., Kim, H. D., 2012, Analysis of correlation between the cause of urbanization effect of Busan by using daily minimum temperature, Journal of Environmental Sciences, 21, 1477-1486. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2012.21.12.1477
- Sekine, R., 1960, Urban climatological study on the distribution of daily minimum air temperature in Tokyo Metropolitan area, Journal of Geography, 33, 564-572.
- Yamajoe, K., Ushiyama, T., Mikami, T., Kimura, K., 1999, An analysis of diurnal variations in the horizontal temperature distribution using the high density urban climate observation network in Tokyo Metropolitan area : A comparison of the summer case with the autumn case, Monitoring and management of urban heat island interm report, Japan Science and Technology Corporation, 16-22.