- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Improvement in Wind Vector from UHF Wind Profiler Radar through Removing Ground Echo
지형에코 제거를 통한 UHF 윈드프로파일러의 바람벡터 개선
- Kim, Kwang-Ho (Geo-Sciences Institute, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Park-Sa (Geo-Sciences Institute, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Min-Seong (Department of Environmental Atmospheric Sciences, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kang, Dong-Hwan (Geo-Sciences Institute, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kwon, Byung Hyuk (Department of Environmental Atmospheric Sciences, Pukyong National University)
- 김광호 (부경대학교 지구과학연구소) ;
- 김박사 (부경대학교 지구과학연구소) ;
- 김민성 (부경대학교 환경대기과학과) ;
- 강동환 (부경대학교 지구과학연구소) ;
- 권병혁 (부경대학교 환경대기과학과)
- Received : 2015.10.07
- Accepted : 2016.01.07
- Published : 2016.02.29
Ground echo is radar return from stationary targets such as buildings and trees. Wind vectors from the wind profile radar in Gangneung are affected by ground echoes due to the complex mountainous terrain located to the west and the south. These ground echoes make a spurious peak close to the direct current (DC) line signal in Doppler spectra. Wind vectors polluted by ground clutters were determined from spectra of oblique beams. After eliminated the terrain echoes, the accuracy of wind vector compared with radiosonde was improved about 68.4% and its relative coefficient was increased from 0.58 to 0.97.
Wind profiler radar;Doppler spectra;DC removal;Ground echo
Supported by : 기상청
- Park, O. R., Kim, Y. S., Cho, C. H., 2005, The observing system experiments with the wind profiler and autosonde at Haenam, Journal of Korean Meteorological Society, 41, 57-71.
- Park, S. Y., Lee, H. W., Lee, S. H., Kim, D. H. 2010, Impact of wind profiler data assimilation on wind field assessment over coastal areas, Asian Journal of Atmospheric Environment, 4, 198-210. https://doi.org/10.5572/ajae.2010.4.3.198
- Robert, E. Barbre Jr., 2012, Quality control algorithms for the Kennedy Space Center 50-MHz Doppler radar wind profiler winds database, J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 29, 1731-1743. https://doi.org/10.1175/JTECH-D-11-00205.1
- Skolnik, M. I., 1980, Introduction to Radar Systems. McGraw-Hill, 566.
- Strauch, R. G., Merritt, D. A., Moran, K. P., Earnshaw, K. B., van de Kamp, D., 1984, The colorado windprofiling network, J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 1, 37-49. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0426(1984)001<0037:TCWPN>2.0.CO;2
- Weber, B. L., Wuertz, D. B., Welsh, D. C., McPeek, R., 1993, Quality controls for profiler measurements of winds and RASS temperatures, J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 10, 452-464. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0426(1993)010<0452:QCFPMO>2.0.CO;2
- Wilczak, J. M., Coauthors, 1995, Contamination of wind profiler data by migrating birds: Characteristics of corrupt bird data and potential solutions, J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 12, 449-467. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0426(1995)012<0449:COWPDB>2.0.CO;2
- Won, H. Y., Cho, C. H., Baek, S. K., 2006, Classification of precipitation type using the wind profiler observations and analysis of the associated synoptic conditions: Years 2003-2005, Atmosphere, 16, 235-246.
- Hardy, K. R., Gage, K. S., 1990, The history of radar studies of the clear atmosphere, in D. Atlas (ed.), Radar in Meteorology, American Meteorological Society, Boston, Massachusetts, chap.17, 130-142.
- Holleman, I., van Gasteren, H., Bouten, W., 2008, Quality assessment of weather radar wind profiles during bird migration, J.Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 25, 2188-2198. https://doi.org/10.1175/2008JTECHA1067.1
- Ishihara, M., Kato, Y., Abo, T., Kobayashi, K., Izumikawa, Y., 2006, Characteristics and performance of the operational wind profiler network of the Japan Meteorological Agency, Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, 84, 1085-1096. https://doi.org/10.2151/jmsj.84.1085
- Jung, P. S., Lim, Y. K., Kim, K. H., Han, S. O., Kwon, T. Y., 2014, Characteristics of precipitation over the east coast of Korea based on the special observation during the winter season of 2012, Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 35, 41-53. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2014.35.1.41
- Maruri, M., Romo, J. A., Gomez, L., 2014, Aspects of quality control of wind profiler measurements, Atmos. Meas. Tech., 7, 135-148. https://doi.org/10.5194/amt-7-135-2014
- Monna, W. A., Chadwick, R. B., 1998, Remote- sensing of upper-air winds for weather forecasting, Windprofiler radar, Bull. WMO, 47, 124-132.