- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study on the Interface and Interaction for Manipulating 3D Virtual Objects in a Virtual Reality Environment
가상현실 환경에서 3D 가상객체 조작을 위한 인터페이스와 인터랙션 비교 연구
Park, Kyeong-Beom;Lee, Jae Yeol
- Received : 2015.09.22
- Accepted : 2015.12.16
- Published : 2016.03.01
Recently immersive virtual reality (VR) becomes popular due to the advanced development of I/O interfaces and related SWs for effectively constructing VR environments. In particular, natural and intuitive manipulation of 3D virtual objects is still considered as one of the most important user interaction issues. This paper presents a comparative study on the manipulation and interaction of 3D virtual objects using different interfaces and interactions in three VR environments. The comparative study includes both quantitative and qualitative aspects. Three different experimental setups are 1) typical desktop-based VR using mouse and keyboard, 2) hand gesture-supported desktop VR using a Leap Motion sensor, and 3) immersive VR by wearing an HMD with hand gesture interaction using a Leap Motion sensor. In the desktop VR with hand gestures, the Leap Motion sensor is put on the desk. On the other hand, in the immersive VR, the sensor is mounted on the HMD so that the user can manipulate virtual objects in the front of the HMD. For the quantitative analysis, a task completion time and success rate were measured. Experimental tasks require complex 3D transformation such as simultaneous 3D translation and 3D rotation. For the qualitative analysis, various factors relating to user experience such as ease of use, natural interaction, and stressfulness were evaluated. The qualitative and quantitative analyses show that the immersive VR with the natural hand gesture provides more intuitive and natural interactions, supports fast and effective performance on task completion, but causes stressful condition.
Virtual reality;Interface and interaction;User experience;Hand gesture;Leap Motion
- ANOVA, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_of_variance, 2012.
- Boud, A.C., Haniff, D.J., Baber, C., and Steiner, S.J., 1999, Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality as a Training Tool for Assembly Tasks, Proc. IEEE International Conf. on Information Visualization, pp.32-36.
- Bowman, D.A. and Hodges, L.F., 1997, An Evaluation of Techniques for Grabbing and Manipulating Remote Objects in Immersive Virtual Environment, Proc. I3D '97, pp.33-40.
- Fanini, B., 2014, A 3D Interface to Explore and Manipulate Multi-scale Virtual Scenes Using the Leap Motion Controller, 7th International Conf. on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions, pp.258-263.
- Gear VR, http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/gearvr/, 2015.
- Kim, A.-R., Park, B.-K., and Kim, J.-J., 2012, A Study of Gesture-driven Interaction for Efficient Product Validation in Virtual Environment, Proceedings of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers Conference.
- Kim, T. and Park, J., 2014, An Interface for Object Assembly in 3D Virtual Environment Using Two Hands Mid-air Interaction, Proc. HCI'14, pp.1069-1070.
- Kinect for Windows, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/, 2014.
- Leap Motion, https://www.leap-motion.com/, 2014.
- Lee, H.S. and Park, W.J., 2014, A Study on Method to Manipulate to Alleviate the Simulation Sickness of 3D HMD, Journal of Korean Society for Computer Game, 27(4), pp.85-91.
- Lu, G., Shark, L.-K., Hall, G., and Zeshan, U., 2012, Immersive Manipulation of Virtual Objects Through Glove-based Hand Gesture Interaction, Virtual Reality, 16(3), pp.243-252. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10055-011-0195-9
- Melax, S., Keselman, L., and Orsten, S., 2013, Dynamics Based 3D Skeletal Hand Tracking, Proc. GI'13, pp.63-70.
- Moehring, M. and Froehlich, B., 2011, Effective Manipulation of Virtual Objects Within Arm's Reach, Proc. VR'11, pp.131-138.
- MYO, https://www.thalmic.com/myo/, 2015.
- Oren, M., Carlson, P., Gilbert, S., and Vance, M., 2012, Puzzle Assembly Training: Real World vs. Virtual Environment, Proc. 2012 IEEE Virtual Reality Conf., pp.27-30.
- Oculus Rift DK2, https://www.oculus.com/en-us/dk2/, 2015.
- Poupyrev, I., Billinghurst, M., Weghorst, S., and Ichikawa, T., 1996, The go-go Interaction Technique: Non-linear Mapping for Direct Manipulation in VR, Proc. UIST'06, pp.79-80.
- Ren, G. and O'Neill, E., 2013, 3D Selection with Freehand Gesture, Computers & Graphics, 37(3), pp.101-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cag.2012.12.006
- Seth, A., Vance, J.M., and Oliver, J.H., 2011, Virtual Reality for Assembly Methods Prototyping: A Review, Virtual Reality, 15(1), pp.5-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10055-009-0153-y
- Unity3D, http://unity3d.com/, 2014.
- Virtual Reality, http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/, 2014.
- Wachs, J.P., Kolsch, M., Stern, H., and Edan, Y., 2011, Vision-based Hand-gesture Applications, Communications of the ACM, 54(2), pp.60-71.
- Wang, R.Y., Paris, S., and Popovic, J., 2011, 6D Hands: Markerless Hand Tracking for Computer Aided Design, Proc. UIST'11, pp.549-558.
- Yang, W., Lee, J.W., and Lee, S.-H., 2015, Development of Motion Recognition Dementia Prevention Program Utilizing Leap Motion, Proceedings of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers Conference.
Supported by : 미래창조과학부