- Volume 25 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Classification of Limonite and Saprolite from Nickel Laterite Ores
뉴칼레도니아산 니켈라테라이트광의 분급 연구
Seo, Joobeom;Kim, Kee-seok;Bae, In-kook;Lee, Jae-young;Kim, Hyung-seok
- Received : 2015.09.10
- Accepted : 2016.01.08
- Published : 2016.02.29
Nickel laterite ore is classified into two principal ore types: saprolite (silicate ore) and limonite (oxide ore). Saprolite-type ore characterized by high magnesia and silica contents is treated by pyrometallurgy process. On the other hand, limonite-type ore is subjected to hydrometallurgy process to produce nickel products. Hydrometallurgy process requires that a raw material to meet the demands that Si+Mg contents lower than 10% and Fe content over than 40%. It is therefore required that separation of saprilite-type ore to use nickel laterite ore as a raw material for hydrometallurgy process. In this study, separation of sparolite-type ore and limonite-type ore from nickel laterite ore from New Caledonia has been tried by dry classification. The results show that -5 mm size fraction and +5 mm size fraction of the nickel laterite ore contains mainly limonite-type ore and saprolite-type ore, respectively. To understand the moisture content of the raw ore on the dry classification, nickel laterite ore with different moisture contents of 23.0% and 9.1% were subjected to the dry classification. The results show that drying of the ore makes the separation more efficient as the amount of the fine product, that can be subjected to hydrometallurgy process without further separation or drying operations, was increased.
- Kim Wantae, Kim Sangbae, 2009 : Current status of laterite ore processing technology, The mineralogical society of Korea, Minerals and Industry ISSN: 1299-7496, 22(2), pp.71-83.
- Lu, J., Liu, S., Shangguan J., Du. W., Pan, F., and Yang, S. 2013 : The effect of sodium sulphate on the hydrogen reduction process of nickel laterite ore, Miner. Eng., 49, pp.154-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mineng.2013.05.023
- Harris, C.T., Peacey, J.G., and Pickles, C.A., 2011 : Selective sulphidation of a nickelferous lateritic ore, Miner. Eng., 24, pp.651-660. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mineng.2010.10.008
- Zhu, D.Q., Cui, Y., Vining, K., Hapugoda, S., Douglas, J. Pan, J., and Zheng, G. L., 2012, Upgrading low nickel content laterite ores using selective reduction followed by magnetic separation, Int. J. Miner. Process, 106-109, pp.1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.minpro.2012.01.003
- Norgate, T., and Jahanshahi, S., 2011 : Assessing the energy and greenhourse gas foortprints of nickel laterite processing, Miner. Eng., 23, pp.698-707.
- Cho, Hyen Goo, Kim, Soon-Oh, and Kim, Sang Bae, 2011 : Mineralogy of Garnierite from New Caledonian Ni Lateritic Ore, J. Miner. Soc. Korea, 24(4), pp.253-263. https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2011.24.4.253
- Wells, M.A., Ramanaidou, E.R., Verrall, M., and Tessarolo, C., 2009 : Mineralogy and crystal chemistry of "garnierites" in the Goro lateritic nickel deposit, New Caledonia, Eur. J. Mineral., 21, pp.467-483, https://doi.org/10.1127/0935-1221/2009/0021-1910
- Mudd, G., 2010 : Global trends and issues in nickel mining: sulfides versus laterites, Ore Geol. Rev., 38, pp9-26, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oregeorev.2010.05.003
- Kim, K., Seo, J., Bae, I., Bae, K., You, K., Lee, J., and Kim, H., 2014 : A Study on separation of limonite and saprolite from nickel laterite ores, J. of Korean Inst. of Resources Recycling, 23(6), pp.12-21.
- Tauler, E., Proenza, J.A., Gali, S., Lewis J.F., Labrador, M., Garcia-Romero, E., Suarez, M., Longo, F., and Bloise, D.G., 2009 : Ni-sepiolite-falcondoite in garnierite mineralization from the Falcono Ni-laterite deposit, Dominican Republic, Clay Minerals, 44, pp.435-454. https://doi.org/10.1180/claymin.2009.044.4.435
- Eckleman, M., 2010 : Facility-level energy and greenhouse gas life-cycle assessment of the global nickel industry, Resour. Conserv. Recycl., 54, pp.256-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2009.08.008
Grant : 선광 및 하이브리드 제련에 의한 해외 광권의 저품위 니켈산화광 유효자원 회수기술 개발
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원