- Volume 32 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Media Breakage on Infiltration Characteristics in Stormwater Management System
강우유출수 처리시설 침투특성에 대한 필터여재 파쇄의 영향
- Received : 2015.12.17
- Accepted : 2016.02.03
- Published : 2016.02.29
For sand and zeolite filter media in stormwater BMPs, media breakage effects on infiltration were investigated. Compaction effort and infiltration force were mainly examined for breakage sources. The 1-D column infiltration tests for un-compacted and compacted media filters were conducted to investigate the breakage effect on infiltration. As a result, the following findings were deduced: 1) particle breakage due to filtration forces was found to be relatively minimal; 2) un-compacted media had lesser amount of crushed particles and permeability fluctuations compared to compacted media; 3) even without the presence of suspended solids in the influent, reduction in permeability was found, which resulted from rearrangement and re-entrainment of media particle itself; 4) only media particle breakage resistance is considered, sand was revealed to have better performance compared to zeolite media.
Infiltration;Filter;Porous media;Clogging;Stormwater management
- Du, X., Wang, Z., and Ye, X. (2013), "Potential Clogging and Dissolution Effects During Artificial Recharge of Groundwater Using Potable Water", Water Resources Management, Vol.27, No.10, pp. 3573-3583. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-013-0365-5
- Du, X., Fang, Y., Wang, Z., Hou, J., and Ye, X. (2014), "The Prediction Methods for Potential Suspended Solids Clogging Types during Managed Aquifer Recharge", Water, Vol.6, No.4, pp.961-975. https://doi.org/10.3390/w6040961
- Hua, G. F., Li, L., Zhao, Y. Q., Zhu, W., and Shen (2013), "An Integrated Model of Substrate Clogging in Vertical Flow Constructed Wetlands", Journal of Environmental Management, Vol.119, pp.67-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2013.01.023
- Kadlec, R.H. and Wallace, S. (2008), Treatment Wetlands, CRC press.
- Kandra, H. S., Deletic, A., and Mccarthy, D. (2014), "Assessment of Impact of Filter Design Variables on Clogging in 6. Stormwater Filters", Water Resources Management, Vol.28, No.7, pp.1873-1885. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-014-0573-7
- Kandra, H. S., Mccarthy, D., Fletcher, T. D., and Deletic, A. (2014), "Assessment of Clogging Phenomena in Granular Filter Media Used for Stormwater Treatment", Journal of Hydrology, Vol.512, pp.518-527. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.03.009
- Le Coustumer, S., Fletcher, T. D., Deletic, A., Barraud, S., and Poelsma, P. (2012), "The Influence of Design Parameters on Clogging of Stormwater Biofilters: A Large-Scale Column Study", Water Research, Vol.46, No.20, pp.6743-6752. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2012.01.026
- Lee, B., Kim, L-H, Lee, K-H, Jeon, P-G, and Segismundo, E. (2014), "Modeling of Suspended Solid Clogging of Porous Media in Urban Stormwater Infiltration Facility", J. Korean Soc. Hazard Mitig., Vol.14, No.6, pp.427-437. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2014.14.6.427
- Mercado, J.M.R., Maniquiz-Redillas, M.C., and Kim, L-H (2014), "Laboratory Study on the Clogging Potential of a Hybrid Best Management Practice", Desalination and Water Treatment, Vol.53, No.11, pp.3126-3133.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (2014), Environmentally Low Impact Construction Techniques to Develop Waterfront and Coastal Area, Research Report, Infrastructure and transportation R&D project, KAIA (09 Regional Technology Renovation B-01), Kongju National University.
- Segismundo, E. (2016), Experimental Analysis of Particle Breakage and Clogging Potential for Granular Filter Media Used in Stormwater Management Systems, M.S. Thesis, Dept. of Civil & Env. Engrg, Kongju National University .
- Segismundo, E., Lee, B., Kim, L-H, and Koo, B-H (2015), "Evaluation of the Impact of Filter Media Depth in Filtration Performance and Clogging Formation of a Stormwater Sand Filter", Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, Vol.32, No.1, pp.36-45.
- Siriwardene, N. R., Deletic, A., and Fletcher, T. D. (2007), "Clogging of Stormwater Gravel Infiltration Systems and Filters: Insights from a Laboratory Study", Water Research, Vol.41, No.7, pp.1433-1440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2006.12.040
- Wang, Z., Du, X., Yang, Y., and Ye, X. (2012), "Surface Clogging Process Modeling of Suspended Solids during Urban Stormwater Aquifer Recharge", Journal of Environmental Sciences, Vol.24, No.8, pp.1418-1424. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(11)60961-3
- Clogging Characteristics of Stormwater Infiltration System According to Filter Media Conditions vol.18, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2018.18.3.391
Supported by : 국토교통부