- Volume 42 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Accumulation of Microcystins in Fish and Evaluation of Potential Human Health Risks: A Case Study on a Eutrophic Reservoir in Korea
마이크로시스틴의 어류내 축적성 및 인체 위해성 평가: 국내 저수지 사례연구
Yoon, Hyojung;Seo, Jungkwan;Kim, Taksoo;Jo, Areum;Kim, Jungkon;Lee, Doohee;Kim, Pilje;Choi, Kyunghee
- Received : 2015.10.25
- Accepted : 2016.02.01
- Published : 2016.02.29
Objectives: Microcystin (MC) produced during cyanobacterial blooms is a worldwide problem presenting a serious health threats to humans and ecosystems. During July through October of 2013, the Ilwol Reservoir experienced a high biomass of phytoplankton (maximum
Accumulation;cyanobacterial bloom;health risks;microcystin
- Barda I, Kankaanaaa H, Purina I, Balode M, Sjovall O, Meriluoto J. Bioaccumulation of hepatotoxins - a considerable risk in the Latvian environment. Environ. Pollut. 2015; 196: 313-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2014.10.024
- Chen J, Xie P. Tissue distributions and seasonal dynamics of the hepatotoxic microcystins-LR and - RR in two freshwater shrimps, Palaemonmodestus and Macrobrachiumnipponensis, from a large shallow, eutrophic lake of the subtropical China. Toxicon. 2005; 45: 615-625. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxicon.2005.01.003
- Chen J, Xie P, Li L, Xu J. First identification of the hepatotoxic microcystins in the serum of a chronically exposed human population together with indication of hepatocellular damage. Toxicol. Sci. 2009; 108(1): 81-89. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfp009
- Chorus I, Bartram J, eds. Toxic cyanobacteria in water: A guide to their public health consequences, monitoring and management. Published by E & FN Spon, London, on behalf of the World Health Organization, Geneva. 1999.
- Draper WM, Xu DD, Behniwal P. Optimizing LCMS-MS determination of microcystin toxins in natural water and drinking water supplies. Anal. Methods. 2013; 5: 6796-6806. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3ay41328d
- Duy TN, Lam P, Shaw G, Connell D, Toxicology and risk assessment of freshwater cyanobacterial (Blue-green algal) toxins in water. Rev. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 2000; 163: 113-186.
- Fawell JK, Mitchell RE, Everett DJ, Hill RE. The toxicity of cyanobacterial toxins in the mouse: I microcystin-LR. Hum. Exp. Toxicol. 1999; 18(3): 162-167. https://doi.org/10.1191/096032799678839842
- Ferrao-Filho AS, Herrera NA, Echeverri LF. Microcystin accumulation in cladocerans: first evidence of MC uptake from aqueous extracts of a natural bloom sample. Toxicon. 2014; 87: 26-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxicon.2014.05.015
- Gupta N, Pant SC, Vijayaraghavan R, Rao PV. Comparative toxicity evaluation of cyanobacterial cyclic peptide toxin microcystin congeners (LR, RR, YR) in mice. Toxicology. 2003; 188(2): 285-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-483X(03)00112-4
- Harada KI, Tsuji K, Watanabe MF, Kondo F. Stability of microcystins from cyanobacteria-III. Effect of pH and temperature. Phycologia. 1996; 35: 83-88.
- Hauser-Davis RA, Lavradas RT, Lavandier RC, Rojas EG, Guarino AW, Ziolli RL. Accumulation and toxic effects of microcystin in tilapia (Oreochromisniloticus) from an eutrophic Brazilian lagoon. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 2015; 112: 132-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2014.10.036
- Heinze R. Toxicity of the cyanobacterial toxin microcystin-LR to rats after 28 days intake with the drinking water. Environ. Toxicol. 1999; 14(1): 57-60. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1522-7278(199902)14:1<57::AID-TOX9>3.0.CO;2-J
- Ho L, Lambling P, Bustamante H. Application of powdered activated carbon for the adsorption of cylindrospermopsin and microcystin toxins from drinking water supplies. Water. Res. 2011; 45: 2954-2964. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2011.03.014
- Holmes WN, Donaldson EM. The body compartments and the distribution of electrolytes. Fish physiology, 1st ed. New York: Academic Press; 1969. p. 1-98.
- Ibelings BW, Bruning K, de Jonge J, Wolfstein K, Pires LM, Postma J, et al. Distribution of microcystins in a lake foodweb: no evidence for biomagnification. Microb. Ecol. 2005; 49(4): 487-500. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00248-004-0014-x
- Jia J, Luo W, Lu Y, Giesy JP. Bioaccumulation of microcystins (MCs) in four fish species from Lake Taihu, China: assessment of risks to humans. Sci Total Environ. 2014; 487: 224-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2014.04.037
- Kim SK, Kim JE, Park JW, Jo KA. Variances of environmental factors during water bloom by Microcystis aeruginosa (Kutzing) Kutzing Ilwol Reservoir, Suwon. Korean j. Environ. Ecol. 2013; 46(2): 265-275.
- Lee KL, Jheong WH, Kang YH, Kim HS. Evaluation of the potential human health risk associated with the microcystin bioaccumulation in the freshwater fish from Lake Yeongcheon and Lake Daecheong. Korean J. Limnol. 2009; 42(3): 331-339.
- Ni W, Zhang J, Luo Y. Microcystin accumulation in bighead carp (Aristichthys nobilis) during a Microcystis-dominated bloom and risk assessment of the dietary intake in a fish pond in China. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. Int. 2015. [Epub ahead of print]
- NIER. Ecological risk assessment on biogenic algal toxin [microcystin-LR]. National Institute of Environmental Research, Incheon, Korea. 2013. p. 22-23.
- MOE. Korean Exposure Factors Handbook. Ministry of Environment, Seoul, Korea. 2007. p.102-111
- MOE. Water quality official test method enacted by Korea ministry of Environment, Seoul, Korea. Public notice No. 2011-13. 2011.
- MOE. Operational guidelines on drinking water quality items required to be monitored. Ministry of Environment, Seoul, Korea. 2012. p. 94-106.
- Moreno IM, Molina R, Jos A, Pico Y, Camean AM. Determination of microcystins in fish by solvent extraction and liquid chromatography. J. Chromatogr. A. 2005; 1080(2): 199-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2005.05.029
- OECD. Eutrophication of waters. Monitoring, Assessment and Control. Final Report of the OECD Cooperative Programme on Monitoring of Inland Waters (Eutrophication Control), Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, Paris. 1982.
- Papadimitriou T, Kagalou I, Stalikas C, Pilidis G, Leonardos ID. Assessment of microcystin distribution and biomagnification in tissues of aquatic food web compartments from a shallow lake and evaluation of potential risks to public health. Ecotoxicology. 2012; 21(4): 1155-1166. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10646-012-0870-y
- Park JH, Moon BR, LeeOM. The Phytoplankton compositions and trophic states at several lakes of Suwon-si, Korea. Algae. 2006; 21: 217-228. https://doi.org/10.4490/ALGAE.2006.21.2.217
- Pearson MJ et al. Toxic blue-green algae. A report by the UK National Rivers Authority, Water Quality Series No. 2. 1990. p. 1-128.
- Preece EP, Moore BC, Hardy FJ. Transfer of microcystin from freshwater lakes to Puget Sound, WA and toxin accumulation in marine mussels (Mytilustrossulus). Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 2015; 122: 98-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2015.07.013
- Rinehart KL, Namikoshi M, Choi BW. Structure and biosynthesis of toxins from blue-green algae (cyanobacteria). J. Appl. Phycol. 1994; 6: 159-176. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02186070
- Romero-Oliva CS, Contardo-Jara V, Block T, Pflugmacher S. Accumulation of microcystin congeners in different aquatic plants and crops-a case study from lake Amatitlan, Guatemala. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 2014; 102: 121-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2014.01.031
- Shin HS, Ahn HS. The Assessment for the removal effect of odorous compounds due to algae in water treatment. Kor. J. Env. Hlth. 2003; 29(5); 27-33.
- US EPA. Health Effects Support Document for the cyanobacterial Toxin Microcystins. United States Environmental Protection Agency. 2015.
- WHO. Cyanobacterial toxins: Microcystin-LR in drinking-water. Background document for preparation of WHO Guidelines for drinking-water quality. Geneva, World Health Organization (WHO/SDE/WSH/03.04/57). 2003.
- Williams DE, Craig M, Dawe SC, Kent ML, Holmes CFB, Andersen RJ. Evidence for a covalently bound form of microcystin-LR in salmon liver and dungeness crab larvae. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 1997; 10: 463-469. https://doi.org/10.1021/tx9601519
- Xie L, Xie P, Guo L, Li L, Miyabara Y, Park HD. Organ distribution and bioaccumulation of microcystins in freshwater fish at different trophic levels from the eutrophic Lake Chaohu, China. Environ. Toxicol. 2005; 20(3): 293-300. https://doi.org/10.1002/tox.20120
- Yoshida T, Makita Y, Tsutsumi T, Yoshida F, Sekijima M, TamuraSI, et al. Acute oral toxicity of microcystin-LR, a cyanobacterial hepatotoxin, in mice. Nat. Toxins. 1997; 5: 91-95. https://doi.org/10.1002/nt.1
- Zastepa A, Pick FR, Blais JM. Fate and persistence of particulate and dissolved microcystin-LA from Microcystis blooms. Hum. Ecol. Risk Assess. 2014; 20: 1670-1686 https://doi.org/10.1080/10807039.2013.854138
- Zhang DW, Xie P, Liu YQ, Qiu T. Transfer, distribution and bioaccumulation of microcystins in the aquatic food web in Lake Taihu, China, with potential risks to human health. Sci. Total Environ. 2009; 407: 2191-2199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2008.12.039