- Volume 45 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical Properties and Antioxidant Activities of Fermented Mulberry by Lactic Acid Bacteria
오디 유산균 발효물의 이화학적 특성 및 항산화 활성
- Lee, Dae-Hoon (Department of Food Science and Technology, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Hong, Joo-Heon (Department of Food Science and Technology, Catholic University of Daegu)
- Received : 2015.10.14
- Accepted : 2015.12.14
- Published : 2016.02.29
The physicochemical properties and antioxidant activities of fermented mulberry by lactic acid bacteria were investigated. The viable cell counts of lactic acid bacteria slowly increased up to 8.31 log CFU/mL. The pH and titratable acidity were 3.90 and 0.15%, respectively, after 24 h of fermentation. Color in terms of L and a values decreased, whereas b and
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Fridovich I. 1989. Superoxide dismutases. An adaptation to a paramagnetic gas. J Biol Chem 264: 7761-7764.
- Ju MJ, Kwon JH, Kim HK. 2009. Physiological activities of mulberry leaf and fruit extracts with different extraction conditions. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 442-448.
- Lee HW, Shin DH, Lee WC. 1998. Morphological and chemical characteristics of mulberry (Morus) fruit with varieties. Korean J Seric Sci 40: 1-7.
- Lee EJ, Bae JH. 2011. Study on the alleviation of an alcohol induced hangover and the antioxidant activity by mulberry fruit. Korean J Food & Nutr 24: 204-209. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2011.24.2.204
- Kim YS, Jeong DY, Shin DH. 2008. Optimum fermentation conditions and fermentation characteristics of mulberry (Morus alba) wine. Korean J Food Sci Technol 40: 63-69.
- Kim E, Chang YH, Ko JY, Jeong Y. 2013. Physicochemical and microbial properties of Korean traditional rice wine, Makgeolli, supplemented with mulberry during fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 1682-1689. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.10.1682
- Sung JM, Choi HY. 2014. Effect of mulberry powder on antioxidant activities and quality characteristics of yogurt. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 43: 690-697. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.5.690
- Chae KS, Jung JH, Yoon HH, Son RH. 2014. Antioxidant activity and main volatile flavor components of mulberry wine fermented with Saccharomyces cerevisiae B-8. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 43: 1017-1024. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.7.1017
- Kwon HN. 2013. The effect of the antioxidant activities of fermented mulberry extracts as cosmetic materials. J Invest Cosmetol 9: 221-227. https://doi.org/10.15810/jic.2013.9.3.003
- Ha JH, Jeong MH, Seo YC, Yong CW, Kim JS, Kim HH, Ahn JH, Lee HY. 2010. Enhancement of antioxidant activities of bark of Berberis koreana Palibin by lactic acid fermentation. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 18: 421-428.
- Kim JH, Lee WJ, Cho YW, Kim KW. 2009. Storage-life and palatability extension of Betula platyphylla sap using lactic acid bacteria fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 787-794. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.6.787
- Park YS, Jang HK. 2003. Lactic acid fermentation and biological activities of Rubus coreanus. J Korean Soc Agric Chem Biotechnol 46: 367-375.
- Lee J, Durst RW, Wrolstad RE. 2005. Determination of total monomeric anthocyanin pigment content of fruit juices, beverages, natural colorants, and wines by the pH differential method: Collaborative Study. J AOAC Int 88: 1269-1278.
- Singleton VL, Rossi JL. 1965. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Viticult 16: 144-158.
- Davis WB. 1947. Determination of flavonones in citrus fruits. Anal Chem 19: 476-478. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60007a016
- Talcott ST, Lee JH. 2002. Ellagic acid and flavonoid antioxidant content of muscadine wine and juice. J Agric Food Chem 50: 3186-3192. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf011500u
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Nishikimi M, Appaji N, Yagi K. 1972. The occurrence of superoxide anion in the reaction of reduced phenazine methosulfate and molecular oxygen. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 46: 849-854. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(72)80218-3
- Benzie IF, Strain JJ. 1996. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": the FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 239: 70-76. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1996.0292
- Oyaizu M. 1986. Studies on products of browning reaction -antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Jpn J Nutr 44: 307-315. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.44.307
- Yang SJ, Hong JH. 2015. Quality characteristics of yanggaeng prepared with fermented blueberry by lactic acid bacteria. Korean J Food Cook Sci 31: 128-135. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.2.128
- Ahn CS, Yuh CS, Bang IS. 2009. Physicochemical characteristics of fermented milk containing mulberry leaf extract. Korean J Food & Nutr 22: 272-278.
- Kim JC, Lee SH, Min HL, Lee DS, Kim JK. 2009. Oenology enology. Baek-san publishing Co., Seoul, Korea. p 111-276.
- Lee JY, Chae SK. 2010. Studies on the changes in the extraction of phenolics and color characteristics by the enzyme treatment of red grape (Muscat Bailey A) wine during fermentation. Korean J Food & Nutr 3: 324-331.
- Lee YJ, Choi SW. 2013. Physicochemical characteristics and analysis of functional constituents of four different mulberry (Morus alba L.) fruit juices. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 23: 768-777.
- Ryu IH, Kwon TO. 2012. Sensory characteristics of granular tea and the components of mulberry fruit extracts by different extraction process. Korean J Medicinal Corp Sci 20: 331-338. https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2012.20.5.331
- Seo MJ, Kang BW, Park JU, Kim MJ, Lee HH, Kim NH, Kim KH, Rhu EJ, Jeong YK. 2013. Effect of fermented Cudrania tricuspidata fruit extracts on the generation of the cytokines in mouse spleen cells. J Life Sci 23: 682-688. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.5.682
- In MJ, Kim HM, Jin HJ, Kim DC, Oh NS, Chae HJ. 2010. Production of a fermented Korean pear puree using a new strain Leuconostoc mesenteroides KACC 91495P isolated from Kimchi. J Appl Biol Chem 53: 51-55. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2010.009
- Alarcon E, Campos AM, Edwards AM, Lissi E, Lopez-Alarcon C. 2008. Antioxidant capacity of herbal infusions and tea extracts: A comparison of ORAC-fluorescein and ORAC-pyrogallol red methodologies. Food Chem 107: 1114-1119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.09.035
- Park HM, Yang SJ, Kang EJ, Lee DH, Kim DI, Hong JH. 2012. Quality characteristics and granule manufacture of mulberry and blueberry fruit extracts. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 28: 375-382. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2012.28.4.375
- Song HS, Eom SH, Kang YM, Choi JD, Kim YM. 2011. Enhancement of the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity of Hizikia fusiforme water extract by lactic acid bacteria fermentation. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 44: 111-117.
- Chen JH, Ho CT. 1997. Antioxidant activities of caffeic acid and its related hydroxycinnamic acid compounds. J Agric Food Chem 45: 2374-2378. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf970055t
- Yamada T, Yamamoto M, Tanimar A. 1987. Studies on the formation of nitrosamines, 7: The effects of some polyphenols on nitrosation of diethylamine. J Food Hyg Soc Japan 19: 224-227.
- Sanchez-Gonzalez I, Jimenez-Escrig A, Saura-Calixto F. 2005. In vitro antioxidant activity of coffees brewed using different procedures (Italian, espresso and filter). Food Chem 90: 133-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.03.037
- Tosun M, Ercisli S, Karlidag H, Sengul M. 2009. Characterization of red raspberry (Rubus idaeus L.) genotypes for their physicochemical properties. J Food Sci 74: C575-579. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2009.01297.x
- Effect of Various Gluten-free Flours on Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activities of Cookies vol.33, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.2.127
- Quality Characteristics of Fermentation Gastrodia elata Blume by Saccharifying Methods vol.29, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.5.698
- Lactic fermentation enhances the antioxidant activity of gold kiwifruit vol.25, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2018.25.2.255