- Volume 45 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Enhancement of Kimchi by Pre-Treatment with Slightly Acidic Electrolyzed Water and Mild Heating during Storage
미산성 차아염소산수와 미가열 병용 처리를 통한 원료 전처리 및 김치 저장 중 품질 확보
- Park, Joong-Hyun (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Ha-Na (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Oh, Deog-Hwan (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2015.12.10
- Accepted : 2015.12.29
- Published : 2016.02.29
This study was conducted to determine the inactivation effects of slightly acidic electrolyzed water (SAEW) on microorganisms attached to salted Chinese cabbage and food materials of kimchi, such as slice radish and green onion. In addition, changes in microbial and physicochemical quality of manufactured kimchi during storage at
Supported by : 중소기업청
- Park KY. 1995. The nutritional evaluation, and antimutagenic and anticancer effects of Kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24: 169-182.
- Kim YH, Kim JU, Oh SJ, Kim YJ, Kim MH, Kim SH. 2008. Technical optimization of culture conditions for the production of exopolysaccharide (EPS) by Lactobacillus rhamnosus ATCC 9595. Food Sci Biotechnol 17: 587-593.
- Cho JI, Joo IS, Park KS, Han MK, Son NR, Jeong SJ, Heo J, Kim YJ, Oh MH, Kim SH, Lee SH. 2014. Characterization of pathogenic Escherichia coli strains linked to an outbreak associated with kimchi consumption in South Korea, 2012. Food Sci Biotechnol 23: 209-214. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-014-0028-1
- Lee KH, Cho CM. 2006. Effect of ozone and gamma irradiation for eliminating the contaminated microorganisms in food materials for kimchi manufacturing. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 35: 1070-1075. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.8.1070
- Lee KH, Byun MW. 2007. Quality changes of kimchi manufactured with sanitized materials by ozone and gamma irradiation during storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 216-221. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.2.216
- Cha BS, Kim WJ, Byun MW, Kwon JH, Cho HO. 1989. Evaluation of gamma irradiation for extending the shelf life of Kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 21: 109-119.
- Ko YD, Kim HJ, Chun SS, Sung NK. 1994. Development of control system for Kimchi fermentation and storage using refrigerator. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 199-203.
- Lee HJ, Baek JH, Yang M, Han HU, Ko YD, Kim HJ. 1993. Characteristics of lactic acid bacterial community during kimchi fermentation by temperature downshift. Kor J Microbiol 31: 346-353.
- Park KJ, Woo SJ. 1988. Effect of Na-acetate, Na-malate and K-sorbate on the pH, acidity and sourness during Kimchi fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 20: 40-44.
- Kim SD. 1985. Effect of pH adjuster on the fermentation kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 14: 259-264.
- Chung DK, Yu RN. 1995. Antimicrobial activity of bamboo leaves extract on microorganisms related to Kimchi fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 1035-1038.
- Ku KH, Kang KO, Chang YS, Kim WJ. 1991. Effect of combined salts addition on physical and sensory properties of kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 23: 123-128.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS). 2015. Korea food additives code (Notification No. 2015-5). Chungbuk, Korea. p 1687,1745.
- Park BK, Oh MH, Oh DH. 2004. Effect of electrolyzed water and organic acids on the growth inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes on lettuce. Korean J Food Preserv 11: 530-537.
- Rahman SM, Ding T, Oh DH. 2010. Effectiveness of low concentration electrolyzed water to inactivate foodborne pathogens under different environmental conditions. Int J Food Microbiol 139: 147-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2010.03.020
- Park MJ, Kim SD, Kim MK, Kim ID. 1997. Microbial contamination of materials, washing of Chinese cabbage by ozone treatment and fermentation of kimchi. J Food Sci Technol 9: 25-32.
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis. 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 920.
- Yang EJ, Chagn HC. 2008. Antifungal activity of Lactobacillus plantarum isolated from kimchi. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 36: 276-284.
- An SJ. 2009. Study on the determinants of trade pattern of Kimchi in South Korea, China, and Japan and influence of developing the Korean wave (Hallyu) on Kimchi export. Presented at 1st Oral Presentation of Korea Rural Econ. Inst., Naju, Korea.
- Kim MK, Kim SY, Woo CJ, Kim SD. 1994. Effect of air controlled fermentation on Kimchi quality. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 23: 268-273.
- Rahman SM, Jin YG, Oh DH. 2011. Combination treatment of alkaline electrolyzed water and citric acid with mild heat to ensure microbial safety, shelf-life and sensory quality of shredded carrots. Food Microbiol 28: 484-491. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2010.10.006
- Ciccio PD, Vergara A, Festino AR, Paludi D, Zanardi E, Ghidini S, Ianieri A. 2015. Biofilm formation by Staphylococcus aureus on food contact surfaces: Relationship with temperature and cell surface hydrophobicity. Food Control 50: 930-936. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2014.10.048
- van der Veen S, Abee T. 2011. Mixed species biofilms of Listeria monocytogenes and Lactobacillus plantarum show enhanced resistance to benzalkonium chloride and peracetic acid. Int J Food Microbiol 144: 421-431. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2010.10.029
- Kim MH, Park JG, Kim JH, Park JN, Lee HJ, Kim WG, Lee JW, Byun MW. 2006. Combined effect of heat treatment and gamma irradiation on the shelf-stability and quality of packaged kimchi during accelerated storage condition. Korean J Food Preserv 13: 531-537.
- Youn DH, Shin HT. 2012. The anti-bacterial effects and epidermal permeability barrier function of red onion juice produced in Jeon-Nam province in Korea. Kor J Oriental Preventive Medical Society 16: 43-56.
- Lee KH. 2008. Effect of ozone treatment for sanitation of Chinese cabbage and salted Chinese cabbage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 90-96. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.1.90
- Jung SW, Park KJ, Kim YH, Park BI, Jeong JW. 1996. Effect of electrolyzed acid-water on initial control of microorganisms in kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 25: 761-767.
- Park KJ, Jung SW, Park BI, Kim YH, Jeong JW. 1996. Initial control of microorganism in kimchi by the modified preparation method of seasoning mixture and the pretreatment of electrolyzed acid-water. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 1104-1110.
- Kim JM, Kim IS, Yang HC. 1987. Storage of salted Chinese cabbages for Kimchi-I. Physicochemical and microbial changes during salting of Chinese cabbages-. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 16: 75-82.
- Jeong JK, Park SE, Lee SM, Choi HS, Kim SH, Park KY. 2011. Quality changes of brined baechu cabbage prepared with low temperature stored baechu cabbages. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 475-479. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.3.475
- Kim YW, Jeong JK, Lee SM, Kang SA, Lee DS, Kim SH, Park KY. 2009. Effect of permeability-controlled polyethylene film on extension of shelf-life of brined Baechu cabbage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1767-1772. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1767
- Quality characteristics and kimchi processing ability of kimchi cabbage cultivars ‘Cheonjincheongmayeop’ and ‘Chunkwang’ vol.25, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2018.25.2.189