- Volume 45 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Combined Treatment of Aqueous Chlorine Dioxide, Organic Acid, and Blanching for Microbial Decontamination of Wild Vegetables after Harvest
수확 후 산채류의 미생물 제어를 위한 이산화염소수와 유기산 및 Blanching 병합 처리
- Kang, Ji Hoon (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Park, Shin Min (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Hyun Gyu (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Son, Hyun Jung (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Ka Yeon (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kang, Kil-Nam (Chungcheongnam-do Forest Environment Research Institute) ;
- Park, Jong Tae (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Song, Kyung Bin (Department of Food Science and Technology, Chungnam National University)
- 강지훈 (충남대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 박신민 (충남대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 김현규 (충남대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 손현정 (충남대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 이가연 (충남대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 강길남 (충청남도산림환경연구소) ;
- 박종태 (충남대학교 식품공학과) ;
- 송경빈 (충남대학교 식품공학과)
- Received : 2015.10.01
- Accepted : 2015.11.26
- Published : 2016.02.29
To improve the microbiological safety of wild vegetables after harvest, Aster scaber and Cirsium setidens Nakai were treated with combinations of 50 ppm aqueous chlorine dioxide (
Supported by : 충청남도산림환경연구소
- Cho JY, Yang SY, Yu SO, Kim BW, Jang HG, Chon SU, Park YJ, Heo BG. 2005. The actual distributing states of the fresh wild vegetables at five-day traditional markets in Jeonnam district. Kor J Hort Sci Technol 23: 396-401.
- Rural Development Administration. 2013. The cultivation of wild vegetables. Rural Development Administration, Jeonbuk, Korea. p 17-27.
- You JK, Chung MJ, Kim DJ, Choe M. 2009. Change of antioxidant activities in preparing freeze dried wild vegetable block for the long-term storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1649-1655. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1649
- Lee OH, Kim JH, Kim YH, Lee YJ, Lee JS, Jo JH, Kim BG, Lim JK, Lee BY. 2014. Nutritional components and physiological activities of Cirsium setidens Nakai. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 43: 791-798. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.6.791
- Lyu HN, Park MH, Hong SG, Lee DY, Han KM, Yoon JS, Kim SY, Rho YD, Baek NI. 2007. Development of biologically active compounds from edible plant sources-XXV. Immunostimulating effect of edible plant extracts. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 708-714.
- Lee IS, Moon HY. 2012. Antimicrobial activity on respiration diseases inducing bacteria and antioxidant activity of water extracts from wild edible vegetables. Korean Soc Biotechnol Bioeng J 27: 114-120.
- Kim HK, Lee HT, Kim JH, Lee SS. 2008. Analysis of microbiological contamination in ready-to-eat foods. J Fd Hyg Safety 23: 285-290.
- Kim HJ, Song HJ, Song KB. 2011. Effect of combined treatment of aqueous chlorine dioxide with ultraviolet-C on the quality of red chicory and pak choi during storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 245-252. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.2.245
- Kang JH, Chun HH, Song NB, Kim MS, Park J, Oh DH, Song KB. 2013. Effects of electron beam and ultraviolet-C irradiation on quality and microbial populations of leafy vegetables during storage. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 56: 301-307. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13765-013-3007-y
- Kim MH, Jnag HL, Yoon KY. 2012. Changes in physicochemical properties of Haetsun vegetables by blanching. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 647-654. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.5.647
- Lee HO, Kim JY, Kim GH, Kim BS. 2012. Quality characteristics of frozen Aster scaber according to various blanching treatment conditions. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 246-253. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.2.246
- Selma MV, Beltran D, Allende A, Chacon-Vera E, Gil MI. 2007. Elimination by ozone of Shigella sonnei in shredded lettuce and water. Food Microbiol 24: 492-499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2006.09.005
- Kim YJ, Kim MH, Song KB. 2009. Efficacy of aqueous chlorine dioxide and fumaric acid for inactivating pre-existing microorganisms and Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella typhimurium, and Listeria monocytogenes on broccoli sprouts. Food Control 20: 1002-1005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2008.12.005
- Kang JH, Park J, Oh DH, Song KB. 2012. Effects of combined treatment of aqueous chlorine dioxide and UV-C or electron beam irradiation on microbial growth and quality in chicon during storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 1632-1638. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.11.1632
- Mansur AR, Oh DH. 2015. Combined effects of thermosonication and slightly acidic electrolyzed water on the microbial quality and shelf life extension of fresh-cut kale during refrigeration storage. Food Microbiol 51: 154-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2015.05.008
- Beuchat LR, Adler BB, Lang MM. 2004. Efficacy of chlorine and a peroxyacetic acid sanitizer in killing Listeria monocytogenes on iceberg and romaine lettuce using simulated commercial processing conditions. J Food Prot 67: 1238-1242. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-67.6.1238
- Vandekinderen I, Devlieghere F, Van Camp J, Kerkaert B, Cucu T, Ragaert P, De Bruyne J, De Meulenaer B. 2009. Effects of food composition on the inactivation of foodborne microorganisms by chlorine dioxide. Int J Food Microbiol 131: 138-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2009.02.004
- Akbas MY, Olmez H. 2007. Inactivation of Escherichia coli and Listeria monocytogenes on iceberg lettuce by dip wash treatments with organic acids. Lett Appl Microbiol 44: 619-624. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2007.02127.x
- Kang JH, Song KB. 2015. Non-thermal treatment of postharvest strawberry and establishment of its optimal freezing condition. J Appl Biol Chem 58: 55-60. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2015.010
- Godburn C, Wallace CA. 2013. The microbiological efficacy of decontamination methodologies for fresh produce: A review. Food Control 32: 418-427. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2012.12.012
- Lee K, Kim KH, Kim HK. 2002. Thermal inactivation parameters of peroxidase in Flammulina velutipes and Lyophyllum ulmarium. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 1067-1072.
- Vina SZ, Olivera DF, Marani CM, Ferreyra RM, Mugridge A, Chaves AR, Mascheronia RH. 2007. Quality of brussels sprouts (Brassica oleracea L. gemmifera DC) as affected by blanching method. J Food Eng 80: 218-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2006.02.049
- Kwak SJ, Kim SJ, Lkhagvasarnai E, Yoon KS. 2012. Analysis of microbiological hazards of preprocessed Namuls in school food service and processing plant. J Fd Hyg Safety 27: 117-126. https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2012.27.2.117
- American Public Health Association. 1995. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. 19th ed. American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, USA. Method 4-54.
- Chun HH, Kang JH, Song KB. 2013. Effects of aqueous chlorine dioxide treatment and cold storage on microbial growth and quality of blueberries. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 56: 309-315. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13765-013-3017-9
- Kim YJ, Kim MH, Song KB. 2009. Combined treatment of fumaric acid with aqueous chlorine dioxide or UV-C irradiation to inactivate Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium, and Listeria monocytogenes inoculated on alfalfa and clover sprouts. LWT-Food Sci Technol 42: 1654-1658. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2009.05.022
- Park SH, Choi MR, Park JW, Park KH, Chung MS, Ryu S, Kang DH. 2011. Use of organic acids to inactivate Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella Typhimurium, and Listeria monocytogenes on organic fresh apples and lettuce. J Food Sci 76: 293-298.
- Kim JY, Kim HJ, Lim GO, Jang SA, Song KB. 2010. The effects of aqueous chlorine dioxide or fumaric acid treatment combined with UV-C on postharvest quality of 'Maehyang' strawberries. Postharvest Biol Technol 56: 254-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2010.01.013
- Rahman SM, Jin YG, Oh DH. 2010. Combined effects of alkaline electrolyzed water and citric acid with mild heat to control microorganisms on cabbage. J Food Sci 75: 111-115. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2009.01507.x
- Seong KH, Kang JH, Song KB. 2014. Effects of combined acetic acid and UV-C irradiation treatment on the microbial growth and the quality of sedum during its storage. Korean J Food Preserv 21: 581-586. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2014.21.4.581
- Sagong HG, Lee SY, Chang PS, Heu S, Ryu S, Choi YJ, Kang DH. 2011. Combined effect of ultrasound and organic acids to reduce Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella Typhimurium, and Listeria monocytogenes on organic fresh lettuce. Int J Food Microbiol 145: 287-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2011.01.010
- Smigic N, Rajkovic A, Nielsen DS, Arneborg N, Siegumfeldt H, Devlieghere F. 2010. Survival of lactic acid and chlorine dioxide treated Campylobacter jejuni under suboptimal conditions of pH, temperature and modified atmosphere. Int J Food Microbiol 141: S140-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2010.01.026
- Chun HH, Song KB. 2014. Optimisation of the combined treatments of aqueous chlorine dioxide, fumaric acid and ultraviolet-C for improving the microbial quality and maintaining sensory quality of common buckwheat sprout. Int J Food Sci Technol 49: 121-127. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.12283
- Huang Y, Chen H. 2011. Effect of organic acids, hydrogen peroxide and mild heat on inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 on baby spinach. Food Control 22: 1178-1183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2011.01.012
- Rahman SM, Jin YG, Oh DH. 2011. Combination treatment of alkaline electrolyzed water and citric acid with mild heat to ensure microbial safety, shelf-life and sensory quality of shredded carrots. Food Microbiol 28: 484-491. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2010.10.006
- Kroupitski Y, Pinto R, Belausov E, Sela S. 2011. Distribution of Salmonella typhimurium in romaine lettuce leaves. Food Microbiol 28: 990-997. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2011.01.007
- Keskinen LA, Annous BA. 2011. Efficacy of adding detergents to sanitizer solutions for inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 on Romaine lettuce. Int J Food Microbiol 147: 157-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2011.04.002
- Antimicrobial Effects of Chlorine Dioxide Against Microorganisms on Dried Red Chili Peppers vol.27, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5934/kjhe.2018.27.1.55