- Volume 45 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Changes in Taste Compounds during Onion Vinegar Fermentation
양파초 발효과정 중의 정미성분 변화
- Jeong, Eun-Jeong (Department of Food and Nutrition, Changshin University) ;
- Cha, Yong-Jun (Department of Food and Nutrition, Changwon National University)
- Received : 2015.12.14
- Accepted : 2016.02.12
- Published : 2016.02.29
Prior research has attempted to develop a method for fermentation of onion vinegar to satisfy customer quality standard. Onion wine (OW) and onion vinegar (OV) were produced by alcoholic and acetic fermentation of onion extracts (OE) using Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Acetobacter pasteurianus, and their taste compounds (non-volatile organic acids, non-protein N compounds, and free sugars) were determined. Main components of non-volatile organic acids were malic acid (50.1%) and citric acid (26.9%) in OE, whereas malic acid (28.1%), acetic acid (20.8%), lactic acid (20.1%), citric acid (13.3%), and succinic acid (12.0%) were detected in OW. Total concentrations of non-volatile organic acids in OV were 4,612.0 mg/100 g, which was 3.9 and 2.3 times higher than those of OE and OW, respectively. Non-volatile organic acids except malonic acid and acetic acid were reduced during acetic fermentation. Non-protein N compounds increased 4.23-fold (
- Park YK. 1995. Source and processing techniques and study trends of vegetable juice. Bull Food Technol 8: 59-68.
- Jin SK, Kim IS, Hah KH, Lyou HJ, Park KH, Lee JI. 2005. Changes of quality characteristics of spicy fermented pork with atmosphere packaging during storage. J Anim Sci & Technol 47: 813-824. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2005.47.5.813
- Industry-Academia-Research Institute of Ajou University. 2006. Identification of onion components having beneficial effects on cardiovascular diseases. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Gwacheon, Korea. p 20.
- Kang NS, Kim JH, Kim JK. 2008. Quality characteristics of onion Jangaji during aging. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 796-803.
- Kim JH, Kim JK. 2008. Effect of maturation solution composition on the physicochemical properties of onion Jangaji. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 816-823.
- Lee JI, Cho YS, Shon MY, Kang KS, Seo KI. 2000. Changes in physicochemical components and bacterial count during the fermentation of onion Kimchi. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 10: 419-424.
- Cho WD, Yoo KW. 1997. Preparation of onion hydrolysate for usage of sauce. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 1147-1151.
- Kee HJ, Ryu GH, Park YK. 2001. Physical properties of extruded snack made of dried onion and onion pomace. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 64-69.
- Kee HJ, Park YK. 2000. Preparation and quality properties of extruded snack using onion pomace and onion. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 578-583.
- Suh HJ, Chung SH, Son JY, Son HS, Cho WD, Ma SJ. 1996. Preparation of onion hydrolysates with enzyme. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 25: 786-790.
- Kee HJ, Park YK. 1999. Effect of seaweeds and adsorbents on volatile flavor components of onion juice. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 1447-1483.
- Kim SW, Park JH, Jun HK. 2008. Analysis of optimum condition for production of an onionic vinegar by two-step fermentations. J Life Sci 18: 1410-1414. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.10.1410
- Kim SW, Oh EH, Jun HK. 2008. Analysis of optimum condition for alcoholic drink production using onion extract. J Life Sci 18: 871-877. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.6.871
- Kim SW, Oh EH, Jun HK. 2008. Development of an alcoholic drink using onion extract. J Life Sci 18: 980-985. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.7.980
- Hou WN, Go EK. 2004. Extractive optimization of functional components for processing of onion health promotion drink. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36: 403-409.
- Choi YJ, Kim SW, Jang JK, Choi YJ, Park YS, Park H, Shim KS, Lee HS, Chung MS. 2009. Development of fermented functional onion juice using lactic acid bacteria. Food Eng Prog 13: 1-7.
- Bae JH, Woo HS, Choi HJ, Choi C. 2003. Physicochemical properties of onion powder added wheat flour dough. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 436-441.
- Bae JH, Woo HS, Choi HJ, Choi C. 2003. Quality characteristics of the white bread added with onion powder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 1124-1128.
- Chun SS. 2003. Development of functional sponge cakes with onion powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 62-66. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.1.062
- Sung CR, Kim CS. 2007. The development of pizza with Chungkukjang and onion: Optimization of pizza crust preparation using response surface methodology. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 481-491.
- Sung CR, Kim CS. 2007. The development of pizza with Chungkukjang and onion: Formulation and assessments of nutrients and sensory quality for Chungkukjang.onion pizza. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 492-501.
- Agilent Technologies, Inc. 2009. Analysis of organic acids in aqueous samples. Available from https://www.agilent.com/cs/library/applications/5989-1265EN_low.pdf (accessed Jun 2009).
- Lee HY. 2006. Comparison of quality and functional properties of domestic onions during storage. MS Thesis. Changwon National University, Changwon, Korea. p 16-18.
Benkeblia N, Varoquaux P. 2003. Effect of nitrous oxide (
$N_2O$) on respiration rate, soluble sugars and quality attributes of onion bulbs Allium cepa cv. Rouge Amposta during storage. Postharvest Biol Technol 30: 161-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-5214(03)00101-7
- Jayaram VB, Cuyvers S, Verstrepen KJ, Delcour JA, Courtin CM. 2014. Succinic acid in levels produced by yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) during fermentation strongly impacts wheat bread dough properties. Food Chem 151: 421-428. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.11.025
- Shin JS, Lee OS, Jeong YJ. 2002. Changes in the components of onion vinegars by two stages fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 1079-1084.
- Jeong YJ, Seo JH, Lee GD, Park NY, Choi TH. 1999. The quality comparison of apple vinegar by two stages fermentation with commercial apple vinegar. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 353-358.
- Seo JH, Kim YJ, Lee KS. 2003. Comparison of physicochemical characteristics of fruit vinegars produced from two-stage fermentation. Food Industry and Nutrition 8(3): 40-44.
- Moon HS. 2011. Development of vinegar using cucumber and its functional activity. MS Thesis. Sunchon National University, Sunchon, Korea. p 18.
- Ko EJ, Hur SS, Choi YH. 1998. The establishment of optimum cultural conditions for manufacturing garlic vinegar. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 102-108.
- Lee MK, Choi SR, Lee J, Choi YH, Lee JH, Park KU, Kwon SH, Seo KI. 2012. Quality characteristics and anti-diabetic effect of yacon vinegar. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 79-86. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.1.079
- Kim HS. 2011. Development of vinegar using saltwort (Salicornia heracea L.) and its antioxidant effect. MS Thesis. Sunchon National University, Suncheon, Korea. p 22.
- Na HS, Choi GC, Yang SI, Lee JH, Cho JY, Ma SJ, Kim JY. 2013. Comparison of characteristics in commercial fermented vinegars made with different ingredients. Korean J Food Preserv 20: 482-487. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.4.482
- Koizumi Y, Uehara Y, Yanagida F. 1987. The general composition, inorganic cations, free amino acids and organic acids of special vinegars. Nippon Shokuhin Korgyo Gakkaishi 34: 592-598. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk1962.34.9_592
- Fuke S. 1994. Taste. In Science of Taste. Yamano Y, Yamaguchi S, eds. Asakura-Shoten, Tokyo, Japan. p 46-61.
- Kato H, Rhue MR, Nishimura T. 1989. Role of acids and peptides in food taste. In Flavor Chemistry. American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, USA. p 158-174.
- Jeong CH, Kim JH, Shim KH. 2006. Chemical components of yellow and red onion. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 35: 708-712. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.6.708
- Terry LA, Law KA, Hipwood KJ, Bellamy PH. 2005. Nonstructural carbohydrate profiles in onion bulbs influence taste preference. In Frutic 05: Information and Technology for Sustainable Fruit and Vegetable Production. 12-16 September 2005, Montpellier, France.
- Jeong YJ, Seo JH, Park NY, Shin SR, Kim KS. 1999. Changes in the components of persimmon vinegars by two stages fermentation. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 6: 228-232.