- Volume 34 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Structural Analysis of Factors Influencing University Students' Happiness
대학생의 행복에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 구조분석
- Choi, Min-soo (Department of Early Childhood Education, Gwangju University) ;
- Cho, Seung-hyun (Gwangju Metropolitan Government Building Kkochcholong Child Care Center)
- Received : 2015.12.10
- Accepted : 2016.02.02
- Published : 2016.02.29
This study was conducted to investigate a correlation of factors that have an influence on the happiness of college students, and to investigate the effect of factors on happiness of college students by analyzing the structure of influencing factors of happiness. To this end, 430 freshmen in college were selected and tested on character, self-esteem, self-leadership, and happiness. The measurement tools used in this study were the 30 questions of Character Scale that Choi Min-Soo and Im Eun-Young(2013) developed and modified by Im Eun-Young(2015), a Self-Leadership Scale of Manz(1998) classified into behavioral strategy and cognitive strategy that Wang Ji-Seon(2011) translated and modified. a Self-Esteem Scale(SES) of Rosenberg(1986) that the researcher modified and used, and The Oxford Happiness Questionnaire of Hills and Argyle(2002) that Choi Yo-Won(2002) translated and the researcher modified. According to the research result, for correlation with happiness, self-esteem was .86, self-leadership was .74, and character was .66, and for correlation with self-leadership, character was .70, self-esteem was .66, and correlation between character and self-esteem was .57. Secondly, for direct effect on happiness, self-esteem was .62, character as .20, self-leadership was .19, and for direct effect on self-leadership, character was .49 and self-esteem was .38. Thirdly, indirect effect of character on happiness through self-leadership was .94 and indirect effect of self-esteem on happiness through self-leadership was .73. Through these research results, it was identified that character, self-esteem, and self-leadership of college students are the influencing factors on happiness, and that self-esteem is the biggest influencing factor on happiness of college students among the three variables. The results of this study suggested that university students' personality had a positive relationship with self-esteem and that university students' personality, self-esteem, and self-leadership altogether had a direct influence on happiness. Moreover, both personality and self-esteem of university students had an indirect influence on happiness through their self-leadership.
Supported by : 광주대학교
- Barker, C., & Martin, B. (2009). Dilemmas in teaching happiness. Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice, 6(2), 1-14.
- Byeon, G. A. (2008). Comparison of perception towards desirable qualifications of early childhood education teachers and kindergarten teachers. Unpublished master's thesis. Kyunghee University, Seoul, Korea.
- Cha, G. H. (1999). Relationship between university students' subjective feeling of security and individualism-collectivism. Korea Youth Research. 10(2), 193-21.
- Cheng, H., & Furnham, A. (2002). Personality, peer relations, and self-confidence as predictors of happiness and loneliness. Journal of Adolescence, 25, 327-39. https://doi.org/10.1006/jado.2002.0475
- Choi, M. S., & Im, E. Y. (2013). Measures for personality education for young children for reinforcement of substances of nuri-curriculum targeting young children aged 3 To 5. Journal of Future Early Childhood Education, 20(1), 56-75.
- Choi, O. J. (2011). A study on factors influencing early childhood teachers' self-leadership. Unpublished master's thesis. Konkuk Univeristy, Seoul, Korea.
- Choi, Y. W. (2002). Effect of emotional perception on the sense of happiness. Unpublished master's thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea.
- Diener, E. (1984). Subjective well-being. Psychological Bulletin, 95. 542-575. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542
- Diener, E., Nickerson, C., Lucas, R. E., & Sandvik, E. (2002). Dispositional affect and job out comes. Social Indicators Research, 59(3), 229-259. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1019672513984
- Diener, E., Oishi, S., & Lucas, R. E. (2003). Personality, culture and subjective well-being: Emotional and cognitive valuations of life. Annual Review of Psychology, 54, 403-425. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.54.101601.145056
- Diener, S. E., Oishi, S., & Triandis, H. C. (1998). The shifting basis of life satisfaction judgments across cultures: Emotions ersusnorms. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74(2), 482-493. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2062
- Dolbier, C. L., Soderstrom, M., & Steinhardt, M. A. (2001). The relationships between self-leadership and enhanced psychological, health, and work outcomes. The Journal of Psychology, 135(5), 469-485. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980109603713
- Gang, W. J. (2015). Relationship of organizational climate of early childhood education institutes with teachers' self-development desire and sense of happiness. Unpublished master's thesis. Chungang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Gwon, H. S. (2011). Effect of psychomotoric education on personality of university students. Unpublished master's thesis. Hanshin University, Gyeonggido, Korea.
- Gwon, J. S. (2002). Early childhood education teachers' reflexive thinking, level of reflexive thinking, and teaching ability. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Seoul Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Ha, S. E.., Kim, S. H. (2013). Personality and subjective well-being evidence from South Korea. Social Indicators Research, 111(1), 341-359. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-012-0009-9
- Han, I. J. (2005). A study on self-esteem and job stress of early childhood education teachers. Unpublished master's thesis. Pai Chai University, Daejeon, Korea.
- Havinghurst, R. J. (1953). Human development and education. New York: Longmans.
- Heo, M. A. (1999). Effect of critical thinking-based teacher- young children linguistic interaction on creativity and interpersonal problem resolution thinking ability of young children. Unpublished master's thesis. Chungang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Hills, P., & Argyle, M. (2001). Happiness, introversion extraversion and happy introverts. Personality and Individual Differences, 30, 595-608. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(00)00058-1
- Im, E. Y. (2015). Development & application of programs for personality education of young children based on value clarification. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Gwangju University, Gwangju, Korea.
- Im, H. J. (2015). Consideration of structural relationship among variables influencing the creativity and personality of university students. Unpublished master's thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Jang, J. U., & Lee, U. J. (2009). The effects and development of promote happiness group counseling program. Youth Counseling Studies, 17(2), 121-138.
- Jeon, J. S. (2011). A study on development and validation of personality self-evaluation tool for early childhood education teachers. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul, Korea.
- Jeong, H. R. (2005). Relationship between job stress and job satisfaction of public and private kindergarten teachers: Focusing on Gyeongin Region. Unpublished master's thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Jung, M. J., & Choe, H. S. (2014). A study on the child-care teacher's ethics and happiness. The Korea Association of Child Care and Education, 88, 21-39.
- Kim, C. H. (1995). The study of adjustment and self-esteem among adolescents who returned from abroad to Korea. Unpublished master's thesis. Seoul Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, G. S. (2003). University students & leadership. Seoul: Hakjisa Publishing.
- Kim, G., & Kim, O. N. (1996). Consideration of psychological welfare of single parent family. consideration of psychological welfare of single mother family. Living Science Research Institute, 6, 122-142.
- Kim, H. R. (2014). Exploration of variables influencing early childhood education teachers' sense of happiness. Unpublished master's thesis. Chungang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, J. E. (2010). Relationship of preliminary early childhood education teachers' self-esteem with subjective sense of happiness and education beliefs. Unpublished master's thesis. Yeungnam University, Gyeonbuk, Korea.
- Kim, M. J. (2007). Mothers' sense of happiness, attachment stability of young children & relationship with peer competency. Unpublished master's thesis. Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, Y. H., & Lee, Y. J. (2013). Validation of model on social anxiety, empathy, social skill, anger expression mode, and interpersonal relationship satisfaction influencing university students' sense of happiness. Korean Journal of Counseling, 14(3), 1687-1604.
- Kline, P. (1993). The handbook of psychological testing. London and New York; Routledge.
- Kline, P. (2011). The handbook of psychological testing London: Routledge.
- Lee, G. H. (2010). Relationship among self-leadership, job satisfaction and organization commitment. Unpublished master's thesis.Pusan National University, Pusan, Korea.
- Lee, H. J. (2001). A study on factors behind maladjustment of elementary school students to school life & measures of intervention in social projects of schools. Unpublished master's thesis, Sungkyul University, Gyeonggido, Korea.
- Lee, H. N., Jeong, H. J., Lee, G. H., & Lee, H. J. (2006). Relationship among self-resilience, sense of happiness, and perception and response to stress in University Students. Korean Journal of Counseling, 7(3), 701-713.
- Lee, H. W., & Im, S. J. (2007). A study on teacher variables influencing teaching knowledge of early childhood education teachers (reflexive thinking, emotional adaptability, motivation). Journal of Early Childhood Education, 27(4), 126-146.
- Lee, J. W. (2014). Effect of day care teachers' personality, emotional quotient and teaching efficacy on job stress. Unpublished master's thesis. Suwon University, Gyeonggido, Korea.
- Lee, N. Y. (2012). Mediating effect of self-esteem in subjective sense of security and life meaning of university students. Unpublished master's thesis. Hongik University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, W. Y., Park, C. W., & Roh, Y. H. (1993). A study on development of sociality development program for young children. Journal of Early Childhood Education, 13, 113-125.
- Lee, Y. H., Choi B. A., & Chi, Y. S. (2005). Guidelines of happiness from the cases in the "happy family sroty contest". Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 23(1), 41-51.
- Lee, Y. J. (2013). Effect of day care teachers' aptitude and sense of happiness on job stress. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lyubomirsky, S., King, L., & Diener, E. (2005). The benefit of frequent positive affect: Does happiness lead to success? Psychological Bulletin, 131(6), 803-855. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.131.6.803
- Manz, C. C. (1998). Mastering self-leadership: Empowering yourself for personal excellence. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Ministry of Education (1997). The 6th Kindergarten Curriculum. Seoul: Ministry of Education.
- Ministry of Education (2014). Nuri-Curriculum. Seoul: Ministry of Education.
- Department of Health and Human Services (2014). Standard Curriculum. Seoul: Department of Health and Human Services.
- Moon, S. B. (2003). Reality of research methodology for preparation of thesis & dissertations. Seoul: Hakjisa Publishing.
- Moon, S. B. (2013). Understanding & application of structural equation modeling. Seoul: Hakjisa Publishing.
- O'Donnell S. L., Chang, K. B., & Miller, K. S. (2013). Relation among autonomy, attribution style, and happiness in college students. College Student Journal, 47(1), 228-235.
- Onen, A. S., & Ulusoy, F. M. (2015). The relationship between pre-service teacher's self-esteem and emotional intelligence levels. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 186, 1163-1168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.04.195
- Park, H. S., & Moon, S. E. (2014). Effect of university students' self-esteem and social support on happiness. The mediating effects of school adjustment. The Korean Journal of Local Government & Administration Studies, 22(3), 197-218.
- Park, S. H. (2015). Relationship between early childhood education teachers' teaching aptitude and sense of teaching efficacy. Journal of Early Childhood Education, 19(2), 211-142.
- Rosenberg, M. (1979). Conceiving the self. NY: Basic Books.
- Seligman, M. E. P. (2004). Complete happiness(Authentic happiness: using the new positive psychology to realize your potential for lasting fulfillment). (Gwag. M. D. translation). Anyang: Moolpoore.
- Seligman, M. E. P., & Csikszentmihalyi, M. (2000). Positive psychology: an introduction. American Psychology, 55, 5-14. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.5
- Seong, E. J. (2010). Effect of University Students' Transformative Leadership on Psychological Feeling of Security. Unpublished master's thesis. Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Shin, H. Y. (2014). A study on perception of teachers and parents towards qualifications of early childhood education teachers. Unpublished master's thesis. Chungang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Shin, Y. S. (2011). Effect of self-leadership education program on interpersonal relationship and self-esteem of participants. Unpublished master's thesis. Chungang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Simsek, O. F. (2013). Structural relations of personal and collective self-esteem to subjective well-being: Attachment as moderator. Social Indicarors Research, 110(1), 219-236. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-011-9927-1
- Steel, P., Schmidt, J., & Shultz, J. (2008). Refining the Relationship Between Personality and Subjective Well-Being. Psychological Bulletin, 134(1), 138-161. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.134.1.138
- Tak, J. H., & Gang, H. M. (2014). Effect of Day Care Teachers Self-esteem and Recovery Resilience on Their Sense of Happiness. Journal of Early Childhood Education, 34(5), 107-128. https://doi.org/10.18023/kjece.2014.34.5.005
- Wang, J. S. (2011). Relationship Between Self-leadership and Teachers' Sense of Efficacy. Unpublished master's thesis, Myongji University, Seoul, Korea.
- Yeom, J. S., Lee, M. S., Jo, H. S., & Kim, H. J. (2011). Theory of early childhood teacher. Paju: Jeongjin Publishing.