- Volume 20 Issue 2
Currently, with the rapid development of the digital age, multimedia-related image devices become popular. However image deterioration is generated by multiple causes during the transmission process, with typical example of salt and pepper noise. When the noise of high density is added, existing methods are deteriorated in the characteristics of removal noise. After judging the noise condition to remove the salt and pepper noise, if the center pixel is the non-noise pixel, it is replaced with the original pixel. On the other hand, if it is the noise pixel, algorithm is suggested by the study, where the histogram of the corrupted image and the median filters are used. And for objective judgment, the proposed algorithm was compared with existing methods and PSNR(peak signal to noise ratio) was used as judgment standard. As the result of the simulation, The proposed algorithm shows a high PSNR of 32.57[dB] for Lena images that had been damaged of a high density salt and pepper noise(P=60%), Compared to the existing CWMF, A-TMF and AWMF there were improvements by 21.67[dB], 18.07[dB], and 20.13[dB], respectively.
Salt and Pepper Noise;Histogram;Median Filter
- R. C. Gonzalez and R.E. woods, Eds., Digital Image Processing, Prentice Hall, 2007.
- K. K. V. Toh, H. Ibrahim, and M. N. Mahyuddin, "Salt-and-pepper noise detection and reduction using fuzzy switching median filter," IEEE trans. Consumer Electron., vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 1956-1961, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2008.4711258
- Xu Long and Nam-Ho Kim, "A Study on the Spatial Weighted Filter in AWGN Environments," JICCE, vol. 17, no. 3, Mar. 2013.
- Se-Ik Kwon and Nam-Ho Kim, "A Study on Modified Spatial Weighted Filter in Mixed Noise Environments," JICCE, vol. 19, no. 1, Jan. 2015.
- Oten, Remzi and De Figueiredo, Rlui J P, "Adaptive Alpha-Trimmed Mean Filters Under Deviations From Assumed Noise Model," IEEE Trans, Image Processing, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 627-639, May 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2003.821115
- Xu Long and Nam-Ho Kim, "An Improved Weighted Filter for AWGN Removal," JKIICE, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1227-1232, May. 2013.
- Jiahui Wang and Jingxing Hong, "a New Selt-Adaptive Weighted Filter for Removing Noise in Infrared images," IEEE Information Engineering and Computer Science, ICIECS International Conference, pp. 1-4, Dec. 2009.