- Volume 20 Issue 2
Because GPS signals are weak, system jamming is a real and present danger. This can happen when the receiver is subjected to intentional or unintentional interference by a transmitter. If the jamming signal is strong enough, the receiver can be operated to take corrective action automatically. Current methods to protect GPS receiver from jamming condition are based on spatial filtering. In this paper, the beamforming as referred to in signal processing technique used in arrays for directional signal reception was suggested and analyzed for anti-jamming. In order to change the directionality of the array when receiving a jamming signal, a beamformer can control the signal at each sensor. Therefore, cutoff angle
GPS;jamming signal;spatial filtering;beamforming;anti-jamming.
- David Adamy, EW 101: A First Course in Electronic Warfare, Artech House, 2001.
- David Adamy, Introduction to Electronic Warfare modeling and Simulation, Artech House, 2003.
- John A. Volpe, Vulnerability assessment of the transportation infrastructure relying on the Global Positioning System, Tech. Report, Nation Transportation Systems Center, 2001.
- US Coast Guard Navigation Center, ICD-GPS-200, Oct. 1993.
- E. Kaplan, Understanding GPS: Principles and Applications, Artech House, 1996.
- Zdravko M. Ponos and Miroslav L. Dukic, "Analysis of GPS Receiver Anti-Jamming Characteristics," IEICE Trans. Commun., vol. E83-B, no. 10, pp. 2411-2418, Oct. 2000.
- James H. Doty, "Revolution in GPS," GPS world, Sep. 2004.
- John Nielsen, Ali Broumandan, and Gerard Lachappelle, "Spoofing Detection and Mitigation With a Moving Handheld Receiver," GPS world, Sep. 2010.
- Rana Liaqat Ali, Anum Ali, and Anis-ur-Rehman, "Adaptive Beamforming Algorithms for Anti-Jamming," Inter. J. Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 95-105, March 2011.
- B. Allen and M. Ghavami, Adaptive Array System: Fundamentals and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- J. Litva and T. K. Lo, Digital beamforming in wireless communications, Artech House, 1996.
- Lei Wang, "Array Signal Processing Algorithms for Beamforming and Direction Finding," Ph. D. dissertation, University of York, York, 1996.
- Amara Prakasa Rao, N.V.S.N. Sarma, "Adaptive Beamforming Algorithms for Smart Antenna Systems," WSEAS Trans. on Communications, vol. 13, pp. 44-50, 2014.
- Barry D. Van Veen and Kevin M. Buckley, "Beamforming: A Versatile Approach to Spatial Filtering," IEEE ASSP Magazine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 4-24, April 1988.