- Volume 16 Issue 2
The whole design process drawing outputs from design planning is based on designers' intuitive ideas and differences in technical ability. However, every design professional agrees to the fact that such design process is filled with individuals' implicit acts or inherent intuition rather than following directions in a certain defined frame. If the design process based on such intuition and experience can start from the rational and scientific process, it would be possible to move more systematic design process to the next step. This study aims to examine what system of thinking are used by designers to conduct the design information process, by using the protocol analysis which is the representative qualitative study method of cognitive science, on designers' cognitive behaviors like the contents of the design sketch process which is the initial step of the kitchenware development process, in order to understand professionals' and non-professionals' design application direction. Thus, the scope of this paper would be limited to "the initial protocol analysis on kitchenware" and "encoding of the analysis on thinking" in the qualitative study that can be the most basic to understand the design cognitive science. As a procedure to solve this study question, it aimed to seek for the product development flow and the educational effect by considering the preceding researches and also re-interpreting cognitive thinking in systematic methods.
Cognitive Analysis;Product Design;Design Process;Protocol Analysis
- 네이버 지식백과 [cognitive science, 認知科學], http://terms.naver.com/
- 최대석, 디지털시대의 산업디자인학, 홍익대학교출판부, pp.42-44, 2002.
- 이규성, 건축디자인 착상인지모델에 관한연구, 동국대 석사청구논문, 1995.
- M. Suwa, T. Purcell, and J. Gero, " Macroscopic Analysis of Design Processes Based on a Scheme for Coding Designers' Cognitive Action," Design Studies, Vol.19, pp.455-483, 1998(4). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-694X(98)00016-7
- 김기수, 제품디자이너의 인지적 사고과정 분석, 홍익대학교대학원 박사학위논문, 2006.
- 이서규, "하이데그와 사르트르의 타자개념에 대한 고찰," 동서철학연구, 제69호, pp.357-382, 2013(9).
- 전진근, 使用者 中心의 디자인 프로세스에 관한 硏究, 연세대학교 박사청구논문, 1980.
- C. S. Chan, "Cognitive Processes in Architectural Design Problem Solving," Design Studies, Vol.2, pp.60-80, 1990.
- 김규성, 건축디자인 착상인지모델에 관한 연구, 동국대학교 석사학위 논문, 1995.
- C. M. Eastman, "Problem Solving Strategies in Design," In Proceedings of the 1st Annual Environmental Design Research Association Conference edited by H. Sanoff and S. Cohn, pp.138-153, 1970.
- 이정모, 인지과학, 학지사, p.31, 2001.