- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Color Overlay on Reading Comprehension Depending on Emotional State
감정 상태에 따라 색 오버레이가 언어 인지 기능에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.07.29
- Accepted : 2015.09.16
- Published : 2016.02.28
With the advance of digital technology, new methods which acquire color information and combine it with various contents are emerging. Color has some effect on emotion while it gives some information as component of an image. In addition, change in emotion and sensation from color stimulus makes some change in cognition. This research investigate the effect of color overlay on cognition depending on emotional state. With this goal, subjects consisting of 10 men and 10 women solved some problems with color overlay of red, orange, and green after watching short video clips which intend to induce target emotion. Experimental results show that red color overlay under positive emotion significantly reduces the average score of solving problems, while green overlay under negative emotion significantly increases it. It is also analyzed that there is not statistically significant difference in cognitive function with color overlay while it is significantly better under positive emotion than negative emotion without color overlay.
- C. E. Shannon, "A Mathematical Theory of Communication," The Bell System Technical Journal, Vol.27, pp.379-423, pp.623-656, 1948. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1948.tb01338.x
- 최훈일, 홍성웅, 연재용, 장영건, "난독증 학습장애인을 위한 S/W 색 오버레이 연구," 제1회 한국재활복지공학회 추계학술대회 논문집, pp.103-106, 2007.
- 김하나, 이지호, 이지영, "색각이상자를 위한 색채변환기술의 배색모델 연구," 한국색채학회논문집, 제28권, 제2호, pp.49-58, 2014.
- M. A. Maier, A. J. Elliot, and Lichtenfeld, " Mediation of the negative effect of red on intellectual performance," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.34, No.11, pp.1530-1540, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167208323104
- 정서란, 이진호, "색의 감정언어의 생리학적 관계," 한국디자인학회 춘계학술대회, pp.106-107, 2001.
- B. Berlin and P. Kay, Basic Color Terms: Their Universality and Evolution, University of California Press, Berkeley, 1969.
- N. Stone, "Environmental view and color for a simulated telemarketing task," Journal of Environmental Psychology, Vol.23, No.1, pp.63-78, 2003(3). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-4944(02)00107-X
- R. Mehta and R. Zhu, "Blue or Red? Exploring the Effect of Color on Cognitive Task Performances," Science, Vol.323, pp.1226-1229, 2009(2). https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1169144
- N. Kaya and H. H. EEPS, "Color-emotion associations: Past experience and personal preference," AIC 2004 Color and Paints, Interim Meeting of the International Color Association, pp.31-34, 2004.
- P. Valdez and A. Mehrabian, "Effects of Color on Emotions," Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, Vol.123, No. 4, pp.394-409, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-34188.8.131.524
- J. P. Guilford and P. C. Smith, "A system of color preferences," American Journal of Psychology, Vol.72, pp.487-502, 1959. https://doi.org/10.2307/1419491
- L. B. Wexner, "The degree to which colors (hues) are associated with mood-tones," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.38, pp.432-435, 1954. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0062181
- L. Weller and R. Livingston, "Effects of color of questionnaire on emotional responses," Journal of General Psychology, Vol.115, pp.433-440, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221309.1988.9710580
- M. L. Damhorst and J. A. P. Reed, "Clothing color value and facial expression: Effects on evaluations of female job applicants," Social Behavior and Personality, Vol.14, pp.89-98, 1986. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.19184.108.40.206
- 문정필, "단청색의 정서 관점에서 본 한국 현대건축의 사회적 표현," 사회사상과 문화, 제18권, 제1호, pp.187-216, 2015.
- 배하나, 선호색 분석을 통한 한국인의 색채감성 연구, 서울대학교 석사학위 논문, 2004.
- H. Ahn and R. W. Picard, "Affective cognitive learning and decision making: The role of emotions," The 18th European Meeting on Cybernetics and Systems Research, 2006.
- R. W. Picard, Affective Computing, The MIT Press, 2000.
- A. Damasio, Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain, Penguin Books, 2005.
- 이수정, "의식되지 않는 정서 점화자극이 대상의 호감도에 미치는 영향," 인지과학, 제10권, 제4호, pp.11-25, 1999.
- E. Eich and J. Metcalfe, "Mood dependent memory for internal versus external events," Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, Vol.15, No.3, pp.443-455, 1989(5). https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-73220.127.116.113
- B. L. Fredrickson and C. Branigan, "Positive emotions broaden the scope of attention and thought-action repertoires," Cognition and Emotion, Vol.19, pp.313-332, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/02699930441000238
- J. P. Forgas, S. M. Laham, and P. T. Vargas, "Mood effects on eyewitness memory: on susceptibility to misinformation," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.41, No.6, pp.574-588, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2004.11.005
- J. P. Forgas, "Affect and cognition," Perspectives on Psychological Science, Vol.3, No.2, pp.94-101, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6916.2008.00067.x
- Y. G. Jang, "Mobile Colored Overlays for People with Visual Stress," International Journal of Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering, Vol.9, No.6, pp.25-30, 2014.
- A. Wilkins, E. Lewis, F. Smith, E. Rowland, and W. Tweedie, "Coloured overlays and their benefit for reading," Journal of Research in Reading, Vol.24, No.1, pp.41-64, 2001(2). https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9817.00132
- A. K. Ludlowa, A. J. Wilkinsb, and P. Heatonc, "Colored overlays enhance visual perceptual performance in children with autism spectrum disorders," Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, Vol.2, No.3, pp.498-515, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2007.10.001
- A. Uccula1, M. Enna1, and C. Mulatti, "Colors, colored overlays, and reading skills," Frontiers in psychology, Vol.5, pp.1-4, 2014(7).
- A. J. Wilkins, "Coloured overlays and their effects on reading speed: a review," Ophthalmic Physiol Opt, Vol.22, No.5, pp.448-454, 2002(9). https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1475-1313.2002.00079.x
- A. J. Elliot, M. A. Maier, A. C. Moller, R. Friedman, and J. Meinhardt, "Color and Psychological Functioning: The Effect of Red on Performance Attainment," Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, Vol.136, No.1, pp.154-168, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-3418.104.22.168
- A. M. Dupont, An examination of chain restaurants exterior colors and logo colors, University of New Hampshire Scholars' Repository, Spring 2014.
- A. S. Soldat, R. C. Sinclair, and M. M. Mark, "Color as an environmental processing cue: External affective cues can directly affect processing strategy without affecting mood," Social Cognition, Vol.15, No.1, pp.55-71, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1521/soco.1922.214.171.124
- A. J. Elliot, "Color and psychological functioning: a review of theoretical and empirical work," Frontier in psychology, Vol.6, pp.1-8, 2015(4).
- J. R. Russell, "A Circumplex Model of Affect," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.39, No.6, pp.1161-1178, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077714
- Y. Baveye, E. Dellandrea, C. Chamaret, and L. Chen, "LIRIS-ACCEDE: A Video Database for Affective Content Analysis," IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing, Vol.6, No.1, pp.43-55, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAFFC.2015.2396531