- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Appearance of 'the other' and 'I' to Positive Attitude and Sense of Community on Social Video Platform - Based on Social Impact Theory and Self-Monitoring Theory
소셜 비디오 플랫폼 상에서 '나'의 개성과 '다른 사람'의 개성이 사용자의 긍정성과 소속감에 미치는 영향 - 사회적 영향이론과 자기 점검 이론 관점
- 김보명 (연세대학교 HCI Lab) ;
- 김현영 (연세대학교 HCI Lab) ;
- 김진욱 (연세대학교 HCI Lab) ;
- 신현식 (연세대학교 HCI Lab) ;
- 김진우 (연세대학교 HCI Lab)
- Received : 2015.07.15
- Accepted : 2015.12.07
- Published : 2016.02.28
Recently, the method of social interaction is transforming into a method that utilizes videos. We are suggesting a new social video platform that contains a video of 'I' and 'the other'. We studied how the appearance of 'the other' and 'I' affected the user. So we applied the Social Impact Theory and Self-Monitoring Theory. The platforms were then used to investigate how the user's positive attitude and sense of community were affected by having the user view his/her and 'the other's appearance watching the same video. As the result, users felt more positive attitude when their own appearance was shown on the screen. However, the positive attitude decreased when there were more femininity in the surrounding videos along with their own appearance. Also, when there were more masculinity in the surrounding video, the users felt a stronger sense of community. We believe this research will provide implications for developing the structure and organization of a new social video platform.
Social Video Platform;Social Impact theory;Self-Monitoring Theory;Sense of Community;Positive Attitude
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Chaiken, Shelly and Alice H. Eagly, "Communication Modality as a Determinant of Persuasion: The Role of Communicator Salience," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.45, pp.241-256, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.168
- R. E. Mayer, "Research-based guidelines for multimedia instruction," Reviews of Human Factors and Ergonomics, Vol.3, No.1, pp.127-147, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1518/155723408X299861
- Adobe. Social Intelligence Report. 2014.
- P. Ekman, R. J. Davidson, and W. V. Friesen, "The Duchenne smile: Emotional expression and brain physiology: II," J. of personality and social psychology, Vol.58, No.2, pp.342-353, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1242
- C. D. Batson and L. L. Shaw, "Evidence for altruism: Toward a pluralism of prosocial motives," Psychological Inquiry, Vol.2, No.2, pp.107-122, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327965pli0202_1
- 김진우, Human Computer Interaction 개론, 안그라픽스, 2012.
- B. Latane, "The psychology of social impact," American psychologist, Vol.36, No.4, pp.343-356, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.36.4.343
- Chesney Thomas, "The effect of communication medium on research participation decisions," J. of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol.11, No.3, pp.877-883, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2006.00040.x
- Burke, Kelly, and Laku Chidambaram. "Developmental differences between distributed and face-to-face groups in electronically supported meeting environments: An exploratory investigation," Group Decision and Negotiation, Vol.4, No.3, pp.213-233, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01384689
- T. Postmes, R. Spears, K. Sakhel, and D. De Groot, "Social influence in computer-mediated communication: The effects of anonymity on group behavior," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.27, No.10, pp.1243-1254, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/01461672012710001
- E. Bradner and G. Mark, "Why distance matters: effects on cooperation, persuasion and deception," In: Proceedings of the 2002 ACM conference on Computer supported cooperative work, ACM, pp.226-235, 2002.
- Helen C. Harton and Melinda Bullock, "Dynamic social impact: A theory of the origins and evolution of culture," Social and Personality Psychology Compass, Vol.1, No.1, pp.521-540, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-9004.2007.00022.x
- Michael D. Miller and C. Cryss Brunner, "Social impact in technologically-mediated communication: An examination of online influence," Computers in Human Behavior Vol.24, No.6, pp.2972-2991, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2008.05.004
- K. B. Williams and K. D. Williams, "Social inhibition and asking for help: The effects of number, strength, and immediacy of potential help givers," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.44, pp.67-77, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.199
- D. I. Perrett, K. J. Lee, I. Penton-Voak, D. Rowland, S. Yoshikawa, D. M. Burt, and S. Akamatsu, "Effects of sexual dimorphism on facial attractiveness," Nature, Vol.394, No.6696, pp.884-887, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1038/29772
- FinkBernhard, and Ian Penton-Voak, "Evolutionary psychology of facial attractiveness," Current Directions in Psychological Science, Vol.11, No.5, pp.154-158, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.00190
- Joanna E. Scheib, Steven W. Gangestad, and Randy Thornhill, "Facial attractiveness, symmetry and cues of good genes," Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences, Vol.266, No.1431, pp.1913-1917, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.1999.0866
- Thornhill, Randy, and Steven W. Gangestad,. "Facial attractiveness," Trends in cognitive sciences, Vol.3, No.12, pp.452-460, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1364-6613(99)01403-5
- Mark Snyder, "Self-monitoring of expressive behavior," J. of personality and social psychology, Vol.30, No.4, pp.526-537, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0037039
- Mark Snyder, Mark, and Nancy Cantor, "Thinking about ourselves and others: Self-monitoring and social knowledge," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.39, No.2, pp.222-234, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.52
- 전혜성, "자기평가 적용에 따른 원격교육의 학습효과 증진," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제2호, pp.487-494, 2011.
- P. Ekman, W. V. Friesen, M. O'Sullivan, A. Chan, I. Diacoyanni-Tarlatzis, K. Heider, and A. Tzavaras, "Universals and cultural differences in the judgments of facial expressions of emotion," J. of personality and social psychology, Vol.53, No.4, pp.712-717, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2062
- Mehrabian Albert, "Significance of posture and position in the communication of attitude and status relationships," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.71, No.5, pp.359-372, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0027349
- James A. Russell and Lisa Feldman Barrett, "Core affect, prototypical emotional episodes, and other things called emotion: dissecting the elephant," J. of personality and social psychology, Vol.76, No.5, pp.805-819, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.115
- David W. McMillan and David M. Chavis, "Sense of community: A definition and theory," J. of community psychology, Vol.14, No.1, pp.6-23, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1002/1520-6629(198601)14:1<6::AID-JCOP2290140103>3.0.CO;2-I
- Matthijs L. Van Leeuwen and C. Neil Macrae, "Is beautiful always good? Implicit benefits of facial attractiveness," Social cognition, Vol.22, No.6, pp.637-649, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1521/soco.22.6.637.54819
- Zuckerman Mr Miron, "On the meaning and implications of facial prominence," J. of Nonverbal Behavior, Vol.10, No.4, pp.215-229, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00987481
- J. I. M. D. Groot and L. Steg, "Morality and prosocial behavior: The role of awareness, responsibility, and norms in the norm activation model," J. of Social Psychology, Vol.149, No.4, pp.425-449, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3200/SOCP.149.4.425-449
- Klick, Jonathan, and Francesco Parisi, "Social networks, self-denial, and median preferences: Conformity as an evolutionary strategy," The J. of Socio-Economics, Vol.37, No.4, pp.1319-1327, 2008.
- Kaiser, Susanne, and Thomas Wehrle, "The role of facial expression in intra-individual and inter-individual emotion regulation," Emotional and intelligent II: The tangled knot of cognition, pp.61-66, 2001.
- L. Schilbach, S. B. Eickhoff, A. Mojzisch, and K. Vogeley, "What's in a smile? Neural correlates of facial embodiment during social interaction," Social neuroscience, Vol.3, No.1, pp.37-50, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/17470910701563228
- Kipling D. Williams, "Ostracism," Psychology, Vol.58, No.1, pp.425-452, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.58.110405.085641
- Jessica L. Lakin, Tanya L. Chartrand, and Robert M. Arkin, "I am too just like you nonconscious mimicry as an automatic behavioral response to social exclusion," Psychological science, Vol.19, No.8, pp.816-822, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.2008.02162.x
- Karlijn Massar and Abraham P. Buunk, "Rivals in the mind's eye: Jealous responses after subliminal exposure to body shapes," Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.46, No.2, pp.129-134, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2008.09.016
- Richard Russell, "A sex difference in facial contrast and its exaggeration by cosmetics," Perception, Vol.38, No.8, pp.1211-1219, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1068/p6331
- J. R. Jardina, M. Phan, D. Nguyen, and B. S. Chaparro, "Gender Differences in First Impressions of Web Pages: The Role of Attractiveness, Complexity, and Brightness on Perceived Design Quality," In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, Vol.56, No.1, pp.1604-1608, 2012.
- K. J. Baek and Y. I. Kim, "Makeup color combination according to facetypes of Korean women," ACA2013Thanyaburi: Blooming Color for Life December, pp.11-14, 2013.
- G. R. Semin and T. A. Palma, "Why the bride wears white-Grounding gender with brightness," J. of Consumer Psychology, Vol.24, No.2, pp.217-225, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2013.09.003
- D. Archer, B. Iritani, D. D. Kimes, and M. Barrios, "Face-ism: Five studies of sex differences in facial prominence," J. of Personality and social Psychology, Vol.45, No.4, pp.725-735, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1685
- Ekman Paul, "Facial expressions of emotion: New findings, new questions," Psychological science, Vol.3, No.1, pp.34-38, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.1992.tb00253.x
- Paul Ekman and Erika L. Rosenberg, eds. What the face reveals: Basic and applied studies of spontaneous expression using the Facial Action Coding System (FACS)., Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Margaret M. Bradley and Peter J. Lang, "Measuring emotion: the self-assessment manikin and the semantic differential," J. of behavior therapy and experimental psychiatry, Vol.25, No.1, pp.49-59, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7916(94)90063-9
- Peterson, N. Andrew, Paul W. Speer, and David W. McMillan, "Validation of a brief sense of community scale: Confirmation of the principal theory of sense of community," J. of community psychology, Vol.36, No.1, pp.61-73, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcop.20217
- 차종석, 김영배, "평가자간 신뢰도 및 동의도에 관한 분석적 고찰," 한국경영학회, Vol.23, pp.75-102, 1994.
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, and B. J. Babin, R. E. Anderson, and R. L. Tatham, Multivariate data analysis, Vol.6, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006.
- 박종관, "지역공동체 형성전략연구," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제12권, 제7호, pp.183-193, 2012.