- Volume 56 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of echocardiographic markers in dogs with patent ductus arteriosus after ductal closure
- Park, Jong-In (Section of Small Animal Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University) ;
- Suh, Sang-IL (Section of Small Animal Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University) ;
- Hyun, Changbaig (Section of Small Animal Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2016.04.05
- Accepted : 2016.08.26
- Published : 2016.12.31
This study evaluated several known echocardiographic markers related to the assessment of severity in dogs with patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) after the closure of ductus arteriosus (DA). Forty-two dogs with patent ductus arteriosus were enrolled in this study. Evaluated echocardiographic markers were left atrial to aortic root ratio, left ventricular end-diastolic dimension to aortic root ratio, indexed left ventricular end-diastolic and end-systolic dimensions, end-diastolic and end systolic volume index, pulmonic flow to systemic flow (Qp/Qs) ratio, velocities of pulmonary regurgitant and systolic jets, pulmonary flow profiles and the presence of mitral regurgitation. Those markers were evaluated before, 1 day, and 30 days after the closure of DA. Statistically significant changes in some echocardiographic markers (i.e., Qp/Qs) were observed. Although several studies in human and dogs have evaluated the clinical outcome of PDA occlusion using several echocardiographic markers, this study has firstly evaluated all echocardiographic markers known to be useful for assessing the clinical outcome of PDA occlusion in human, and has demonstrated that those markers including the Qp/Qs and pulmonary flow profiles were useful in evaluating of clinical outcome of PDA in dogs and the reduction of LA and LV preload after ductal closure could dramatically reduce after successful ductal occlusion of PDA in dogs.
- Broaddus K, Tillson M. Patent ductus arteriosus in dogs. Compend Contin Educ Vet 2010, 32, E3.
- Boon JA. The M-mode and Doppler examination. In: Boon JA (ed.). Veterinary Echocardiography. 2nd ed. pp. 101-112, Chichester, Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- Cornell CC, Kittleson MD, Della Torre P, Haggstrom J, Lombard CW, Pedersen HD, Vollmar A, Wey A. Allometric scaling of M-mode cardiac measurements in normal adult dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2004, 18, 311-321. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2004.tb02551.x
- Gupta SK, Krishnamoorthy K, Tharakan JA, Sivasankaran S, Sanjay G, Bijulal S, Anees T. Percutaneous closure of patent ductus arteriosus in children: immediate and short-term changes in left ventricular systolic and diastolic function. Ann Pediatr Cardiol 2011, 4, 139-144. https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2069.84652
- Hemcke F, Nanda NC, Hsiung MC, Soto B, Adey CK, Goyal RG, Gatewood RP Jr. Color Doppler assessment of mitral regurgitation with orthogonal planes. Circulation 1987, 75, 175-183. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.75.1.175
- Hyun C, Park IC. Congenital heart diseases in small animals: Part II. Potential genetic aetiologies based on human genetic studies. Vet J 2006, 171, 256-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tvjl.2005.02.007
- Jeong YH, Yun TJ, Song JM, Park JJ, Seo DM, Koh JK, Lee SW, Kim MJ, Kang DH, Song JK. Left ventricular remodeling and change of systolic function after closure of patent ductus arteriosus in adults: device and surgical closure. Am Heart J 2007, 154, 436-440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2007.04.045
- Miller MW, Gordon SG, Saunders AB, Arsenault WG, Meurs KM, Lehmkuhl LB, Bonagura JD, Fox PR. Angiographic classification of patent ductus arteriosus morphology in the dog. J Vet Cardiol 2006, 8, 109-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvc.2006.07.001
- Nguyenba TP, Tobias AH. Minimally invasive per-catheter patent ductus arteriosus occlusin in dogs using a prototyp duct occluder. J Vet Intern Med 2008, 22, 129-134. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2007.0009.x
- Park JI, Choi R, Lee SG, Hyun C. Retrospective study of patent ductus arteriosus in 37 dogs: clinical presentations and interventional therapy. J Vet Clin 2013, 30, 87-94.
- Rishniw M, Erb HN. Evaluation of four 2-dimensional echocardiographic methods of assessing left atrial size in dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2000, 14, 429-435. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2000.tb02252.x
- Sahn DJ, DeMaria A, Kisslo J, Weyman A. Recommendations regarding quantitation in M-mode echocardiography: results of a survey of echocardiographic measurements. Circulation 1978, 58, 1072-1083. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.58.6.1072
- Sanders SP, Yeager S, Williams RG. Measurement of systemic and pulmonary blood flow and QP/QS ratio using Doppler and two-dimensional echocardiography. Am J Cardiol 1983, 51, 952-956. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9149(83)80172-6
- Schiller NB, Shah PM, Crawford M, DeMaria A, Devereux R, Feigenbaum H, Gutgesell H, Reichek N, Sahn D, Schnittger I, Silverman NH, Tajik AJ. Recommendations for quantitation of the left ventricle by twodimensional echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 1989, 2, 358-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0894-7317(89)80014-8
- Serres F, Chetboul V, Tissier R, Poujol L, Gouni V, Carlos Sampedrano C, Pouchelon JL. Comparison of 3 ultrasound methods for quantifying left ventricular systolic function: correlation with disease severity and prognostic value in dogs with mitral valve disease. J Vet Intern Med 2008, 22, 566-577. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2008.0097.x
- Stokhof AA, Sreeram N, Wolvekamp WTC. Transcatheter closure of patent ductus arteriosus using occluding spring coils. J Vet Intern Med 2000, 14, 452-455. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2000.tb02255.x
- Su BH, Watanabe T, Shimizu M, Yanagisawa M. Echocardiographic assessment of patent ductus arteriosus shunt flow pattern in premature infants. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 1997, 77, F36-40. https://doi.org/10.1136/fn.77.1.F36
- Takahashi Y, Harada K, Ishida A, Tamura M, Tanaka T, Takada G. Changes in left ventricular volume and systolic function before and after the closure of ductus arteriosus in full-term infants. Early Hum Dev 1996, 44, 77-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3782(95)01695-3
- Van Israel N, Dukes-McEwan J, French AT. Long-term follow-up of dogs with patent ductus arteriosus. J Small Anim Pract 2003, 44, 480-490. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2003.tb00108.x