- Volume 56 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of plasma N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide and troponin I concentrations in dogs with congenital ventricular outflow tract stenosis
- Kim, Gye-Dong (Sections of Small Animal Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University) ;
- Suh, Sang-IL (Sections of Small Animal Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University) ;
- Park, In-Chul (Sections of Diagnostic Imaging, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University) ;
- Hyun, Changbaig (Sections of Small Animal Internal Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2016.03.19
- Accepted : 2016.11.08
- Published : 2016.12.31
This study evaluated the levels of cardiac biomarkers in dogs with either pulmonic stenosis or aortic stenosis and the correlation between biomarkers and the severity of stenosis assessed by the echocardiography. To achieve this study goal, 38 dogs (10 healthy control dogs, 15 dogs with pulmonic stenosis and 13 dogs with aortic stenosis) were examined. The jet velocity and pressure gradient in this study population were measured by echocardiographic estimation, after which the study group was subdivided by the severity of stenosis. The plasma cardiac troponin I (cTnI) and N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) were measured in this study group. The median concentrations of cTnI and NT-proBNP of the disease group were significantly higher than those of the control group, and these increased gradually as stenosis worsened. The severity of stenosis and the concentrations of cTnI and NT-porBNP were also found to be significantly correlated. Finally, the plasma cTnI and NT-proBNP tests were found to beneficial for differentiating clinical patients, predicting the progression of disease, and monitoring the outcome of interventional therapy for stenosis.
- Adams JE 3rd, Bodor GS, Davila-Roman VG, Delmez JA, Apple FS, Ladenson JH, Jaffe AS. Cardiac troponin I. A marker with high specificity for cardiac injury. Circulation 1993, 88, 101-106. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.88.1.101
- Atisha D, Bhalla MA, Morrison LK, Felicio L, Clopton P, Gardetto N, Kazanegra R, Chiu A, Maisel AS. A prospective study in search of an optimal B-natriuretic peptide level to screen patients for cardiac dysfunction. Am Heart J 2004, 148, 518-523. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2004.03.014
- Baumgartner H, Hung J, Bermejo J, Chambers JB, Evangelista A, Griffin BP, Iung B, Otto CM, Pellikka PA, Quinones M. Echocardiographic assessment of valve stenosis: EAE/ASE recommendations for clinical practice. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2009, 22, 1-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2008.11.029
- Bhalla V, Willis S, Maisel AS. B-type natriuretic peptide: the level and the drug-partners in the diagnosis of congestive heart failure. Congest Heart Fail 2004, 10 (1 Suppl 1), 3-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1527-5299.2004.03310.x
- Boswood A, Dukes-McEwan J, Loureiro J, James RA, Martin M, Stafford-Johnson M, Smith P, Little C, Attree S. The diagnostic accuracy of different natriuretic peptides in the investigation of canine cardiac disease. J Small Anim Pract 2008, 49, 26-32.
- Cemri M, Arslan U, Kocaman SA, Cengel A. Relationship between N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide and extensive echocardiographic parameters in mild to moderate aortic stenosis. J Postgrad Med 2008, 54, 12-16. https://doi.org/10.4103/0022-3859.39183
- Chin CWL, Djohan AH, Lang CC. The role of cardiac biochemical markers in aortic stenosis. Biomarkers 2016, 21, 316-327. https://doi.org/10.3109/1354750X.2016.1141993
- DeFrancesco TC, Rush JE, Rozanski, EA, Hansen BD, Keene BW, Moore DT, Atkins CE. Prospective clinical evaluation of an ELISA B-type natriuretic peptide assay in the diagnosis of congestive heart failure in dogs presenting with cough or dyspnea. J Vet Intern Med 2007, 21, 243-250. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2007.tb02956.x
- Fishbein MC, Wang T, Matijasevic M, Hong L, Apple FS. Myocardial tissue troponins T and I. An immunohistochemical study in experimental models of myocardial ischemia. Cardiovasc Pathol 2003, 12, 65-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-8807(02)00188-6
- Hezzell MJ, Boswood A, Chang YM, Moonarmart W, Souttar K, Elliott J. The combined prognostic potential of serum high-sensitivity cardiac troponin I and N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide concentrations in dogs with degenerative mitral valve disease. J Vet Intern Med 2012, 26, 302-311. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2012.00894.x
- Johnson MS, Martin M, Edwards D, French A, Henley W. Pulmonic stenosis in dogs: balloon dilation improves clinical outcome. J Vet Intern Med 2004, 18, 656-662. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2004.tb02602.x
- Kim HN, Januzzi JL Jr. Natriuretic peptide testing in heart failure. Circulation 2011, 123, 2015-2019 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.110.979500
- Kobayashi K, Hori Y, Chimura S. Plasma N-terminal pro B-type natriuretic peptide concentrations in dogs with pulmonic stenosis. J Vet Med Sci 2014, 76, 827-831. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.13-0554
- Ljungvall I, Hoglund K, Tidholm A, Olsen LH, Borgarelli M, Venge P, Häggstrom J. Cardiac troponin I is associated with severity of myxomatous mitral valve disease, age, and C-reactive protein in dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2010, 24, 153-159. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2009.0428.x
- Matsuo T, Carabello BA, Nagatomo Y, Koide M, Hamawaki M, Zile MR, McDermott PJ. Mechanisms of cardiac hypertrophy in canine volume overload. Am J Physiol 1998, 275, H65-74.
- Moonarmart W, Boswood A, Luis Fuentes V, Brodbelt D, Souttar K, Elliott J. N-terminal pro B-type natriuretic peptide and left ventricular diameter independently predict mortality in dogs with mitral valve disease. J Small Anim Pract 2010, 51, 84-96. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2009.00889.x
- Morrow DA. Troponins in patients with acute coronary syndromes: biologic, diagnostic, and therapeutic implications. Cardiovasc Toxicol 2001, 1, 105-110. https://doi.org/10.1385/CT:1:2:105
- Nakamura T, Sakamoto K, Yamano T, Kikkawa M, Zen K, Hikosaka T, Kubota T, Azuma A, Nishimura T. Increased plasma brain natriuretic peptide level as a guide for silent myocardial ischemia in patients with nonobstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002, 39, 1657-1663. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0735-1097(02)01813-2
- Oliveira P, Domenech O, Silva J, Vannini S, Bussadori R, Bussadori C. Retrospective review of congenital heart disease in 976 dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2011, 25, 477-483. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2011.0711.x
- Oyama MA, Sisson DD. Cardiac troponin-I concentration in dogs with cardiac disease. J Vet Intern Med 2004, 18, 831-839. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-1676.2004.tb02629.x
- Oyama MA, Solter PF. Validation of a commercially available human immunoassay (AccuTnI, Beckman Coulter, Inc.) for the measurement of canine cardiac troponin-I. J Vet Intern Med 2003, 17, 437-438.
- Richards KL. Assessment of aortic and pulmonic stenosis by echocardiography. Circulation 1991, 84 (Suppl I), I182-187.
- Silvilairat S, Cabalka AK, Cetta F, Hagler DJ, O'Leary PW. Echocardiographic assessment of isolated pulmonary valve stenosis: which outpatient Doppler gradient has the most clinical validity? J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2005, 18, 1137-1142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2005.03.041
- Tulevski II, Groenink M, van Der Wall EE, van Veldhuisen DJ, Boomsma F, Stoker J, Hirsch A, Lemkes JS, Mulder BJ. Increased brain and atrial natriuretic peptides in patients with chronic right ventricular pressure overload: correlation between plasma neurohormones and right ventricular dysfunction. Heart 2001, 86, 27-30. https://doi.org/10.1136/heart.86.1.27
- Valdes-Cruz LM, Horowitz S, Sahn DJ, Larson D, Oliveira Lima C, Mesel E. Validation of a Doppler echocardiographic method for calculating severity of discrete stenotic obstructions in a canine preparation with a pulmonary arterial band. Circulation 1984, 69, 1177-1181. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.69.6.1177
- Yoshimura M, Yasue H, Okumura K, Ogawa H, Jougasaki M, Mukoyama M, Nakao K, Imura H. Different secretion patterns of atrial natriuretic peptide and brain natriuretic peptide in patients with congestive heart failure. Circulation. 1993, 87, 464-469. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.87.2.464