- Volume 56 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Sudden death caused by diaphragmatic rupture following rib fracture in a female sika deer (Cervus nippon) at a zoo
- Kim, Kyoo-Tae (Animal Health Center, Zoo Land, Daejeon O-World Theme Park) ;
- Lee, Seung-Hun (College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kwak, Dongmi (College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2016.07.11
- Accepted : 2016.11.15
- Published : 2016.12.31
A one-year-old female sika deer died suddenly with no preliminary signs during exhibition at a zoo. At necropsy, the carcass was emaciated and had dried fur. Examination of the thoracic cavity revealed a diaphragmatic rupture measuring 2 cm in diameter and a fracture in the middle of the right eighth rib. The liver and lungs had irregular circular discolorations caused by diaphragmatic rupture and subsequent herniation. Dark-brown-colored ascitic fluid, hydrothorax, and yellowish hydropericardium were also observed. The cause of death was determined to be diaphragmatic rupture caused by a rib fracture, which led to respiratory imbalance and circulatory disorders.
- Agrusa A, Romano G, Chianetta D, De Vita G, Frazzetta G, Di Buono G, Sorce V, Gulotta G. Right diaphragmatic injury and lacerated liver during a penetrating abdominal trauma: case report and brief literature review. World J Emerg Surg 2014, 9, 33. https://doi.org/10.1186/1749-7922-9-33
- Ampatzidou FC, Koutsogiannidis CPC, Madesis AA, Sileli MN, Drossos GE. Delayed presentation of diaphragmatic rupture: an unusual case of dyspnea. Respir Care 2015, 60, e38-40. https://doi.org/10.4187/respcare.03286
- Archie EA. Wound healing in the wild: stress, sociality and energetic costs affect wound healing in natural populations. Parasite Immunol 2013, 35, 374-385.
- Arik MK, Tas S, Ozkul F, Sahin H, Karatag O, Karaayvaz M. Laparoscopic repair of combined right diaphragm and liver injuries with a sharp object: a case report. Case Rep Surg 2013, 2013, 209494.
- Canfield PJ. A survey of koala road kills in New South Wales. J Wildl Dis 1991, 27, 657-660. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-27.4.657
- Hwang SW, Kim HY, Byun JH. Management of patients with traumatic rupture of the diaphragm. Korean J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011, 44, 348-354. https://doi.org/10.5090/kjtcs.2011.44.5.348
- Kim KT, Lee SH, Kwak D. Postmortem identification of jejunal volvulus in a captive striped hyena (Hyaena hyaena). J Vet Clin 2015, 32, 389-391. https://doi.org/10.17555/jvc.2015.08.32.4.389
- Li ZP, Liu HL, Li GY, Bao K, Wang KY, Xu C, Yang YF, Yang FH, Wright AG. Molecular diversity of rumen bacterial communities from tannin-rich and fiber-rich forage fed domestic Sika deer (Cervus nippon) in China. BMC Microbiol 2013, 13, 151. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2180-13-151
- Munk BA, Garrison E, Clemons B, Keel MK. Antleroma in a free-ranging white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus). Vet Pathol 2015, 52, 213-216. https://doi.org/10.1177/0300985814528216
- Nain PS, Singh K, Matta H, Parmar A, Gupta PK, Batta N. Review of 9 cases of diaphragmatic injury following blunt trauma chest; 3 years experience. Indian J Surg 2014, 76, 261-264. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12262-012-0602-9
- Pearson H, Pinsent PJN, Polley LR, Waterman A. Rupture of the diaphragm in the horse. Equine Vet J 1977, 9, 32-36. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-3306.1977.tb03971.x
- Schambourg MA, Laverty S, Mullim S, Fogarty UM, Halley J. Thoracic trauma in foals: post mortem findings. Equine Vet J 2003, 35, 78-81.
- Schwarz T, Crawford PE, Owen MR, Stork CK, Thompson H. Fatal pulmonary fat embolism during humeral fracture repair in a cat. J Small Anim Pract 2001, 42, 195-198. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2001.tb01802.x
- Shah R, Sabanathan S, Mearns AJ, Choudhury AK. Traumatic rupture of diaphragm. Ann Thorac Surg 1995, 60, 1444-1449. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-4975(95)00629-Y
- Souza DB, Mariano CM, Andrade PS Jr, Coelho GC, Abilio EJ. Laparoscopic correction of experimentally induced diaphragmatic rupture in dogs. Acta Cir Bras 2015, 30, 537-541. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-865020150080000004
- Turhan K, Makay O, Cakan A, Samancilar O, Firat O, Icoz G, Cagirici U. Traumatic diaphragmatic rupture: look to see. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008, 33, 1082-1085. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcts.2008.01.029