- Volume 36 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Teachers' Understanding and Application by Implementing 2009 Revised Curriculum Elementary Science Achievement Standards
2009 개정 초등 과학과 성취기준에 대한 교사들의 이해와 활용
- Kim, Eun Ju (Busan Education Research & Information Center) ;
- Lee, Jin Suk (Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Xuan (Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Dae Hyun (Pusan National University)
- Received : 2016.09.19
- Accepted : 2016.11.10
- Published : 2016.12.31
The purpose of this study is to figure out the quality of understanding and implementation for teachers implementing the 2009 revised elementary science curriculum achievement standards. To achieve this purpose, in-depth interviews were conducted with 12 participants, and the qualitative contents method was used to analyze interview contents. According to the interview contents, the results of this study can be described as a phenomenon that teachers implementing achievement standards regarded achievement standards as usual, while focusing on evaluation in school. To make clear of this phenomenon, we classified it into two main dimensions. One is the understanding of teachers by implementing the 2009 Revised National Curriculum achievement standards for elementary school science curriculum, the other is its application. Teachers regarded achievement standards as a criterion, but did not have much attention to it during class time. Furthermore, teachers point out the problems caused by lacking available support materials and the material about core achievement standards. When teachers implemented achievement standards, they prefer to give class to students based on textbooks rather than achievement standards, and they usually use it as evaluation criterion. Based on the results of this study, there were three suggestions and they are as follows: First, it is necessary to improve teachers' professionalism on curriculum and it is a must for teachers to have more concerns about achievement standards; Second, to develop accessible support materials for teachers; Third, to improve curriculum implementation systems.
2009 Revised National Currirulum;In-Depth Interview;Understanding and Application on Achievement Standards of Science Curriculum;Curriculum Implementation
- Na, J. Y., & Song, J. W. (2015). Directions and Issues of 2015 National Science Curriculum and their Implications to Science Classroom Culture. School Science Journal, 9(2), 72-84.
- Norris, S. P., & Phillips, L. M. (2003). How literacy in its fundamental sense is central to scientific literacy. Science Education, 87, 224-240. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.10066
- Ohn, J. D. (2014). Implications for Standards-based Curriculum in Korea Through the Comparative Analysis of Korean and the US Social Studies Curriculum Documents. The Journal of Elementary Education, 27(2), 53-72.
- Paik, N. J. (2007). A Comparative Study on the Form of Presentation of Educational Contents in the Subject Curriculum - With Focus on Korean and American Science Curriculum(Life Science) -. The Journal of Curriculum Studies, 25(1), 129-159. https://doi.org/10.15708/kscs.25.1.200703.006
- Paik, N. J. (2014). Review of statements of achievement standards in subject curriculum: Focusing on the national science curriculum of Republic of Korea and the U. S.. The Journal of Curriculum Studies, 32(2), 101-131. https://doi.org/10.15708/kscs.32.2.201406.005
- Paik, N. J. (2015). A Review of Scientific Literacy-Based Science Standards: Focusing on Science Curriculum of Canada, Australia, and Singapore. Journal of Educational Studies, 46(2), 1-29.
- Park, J. K. (2014). Analysis for the Duplication of Achievement Standards between Science and Other Subjects in the 2009 Revised National Curriculum. Journal of Science Education, 38(2), 231-243. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2014.38.2.231
- Park, M. J. (2012). Teachers' narrative of implementing national curriculum. The Journal of Curriculum Studies, 30(3), 247-270. https://doi.org/10.15708/kscs.30.3.201209.011
- Schuman, D. (1982). Policy analysis, education, and everyday life. Lexington. MA: Health.
- Seo, Y. J. (2013). A Critical Review on Statement Form of Content Achievement Standards in the Korean Language Curriculum. Korean Language Education Research, 46, 415-450.
- Sung, Y. K. (2005). Trends and Evaluation of Curriculum Debates on Standards Movement in the US. The Korea educational review, 11(1), 215-235.
- Sung, Y. K., Baek, B. B., & Yun, S. T. (2008). Policy borrowing and transformation of curriculum standards: An analysis on the decision-making process. The Journal of Curriculum Studies, 26(3), 1-22.
- Yu, G. U., Chung, C. W., Kim, Y. S., & Kim, H. B. (2012). Qualitative research methods. Seoul: Pakyoung Press.
- Yun, H. J., Park, S. H., & Lee, K. H. (2008). Achievement Standards in the National Curriculum(RRC 2008-2). Korea Institute of Curriculum and Evaluation.
- Lee, E. K. (2004). A study on the relevance of elementary English based on the 7th National Curriculum: Amount, level, and degree of interest. Primary English Education, 10(2), 55-95.
- Lee, E. S., & Choe, Y. J. (2004). Study on the Operational Status of the In-Depth and Supplementary Class of the 7th National Science Curriculum. Journal of the Korean association for science education, 24(2), 298-306.
- Lee, G. H., Lee, B. C., Lee, J. Y., & Kim, H. S. (2015). Research on the ways to improve the National Curriculum implementation system through international comparative studies. Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation. CRC 2015-6.
- Lee, K. E., Jang, G. J., & Park, J. H. (2012). Suggestions for Content and Improvement of Achievement Standards in Music Education. Korean Journal of Research in Music Education, 41(1), 113-135.
- Lee, M. G., Shim, J. H., Kim, D. Y., Gu, J. O., Kim, H. J., Choi, B. S., Kim, J. U., Min, G. N., Bae, Y. H., & Kim, Y. G.(2013). A Study on developing core standard achievement for elementary and middle school on 2009 revised curriculum. Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation. CRC 2013-9.
- Lee, M. J. (2014). Characteristics and Trends in the Classifications of Scientific Literacy Definitions. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 34(2), 55-62. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.2.0055
- Lee, S. M., & Park, S. K. (2014). A Critical Review on the Achievement Standards in the Subject Curriculum. Korean Journal of Educational Research, 52(2), 53-79.
- Lee, Y. S., & Kim, S. S. (2014). The effects of learning strategies unit time based core achievement standard of science. Journal of the Korean Society of Earth Sciences Education, 7(2), 169-179. https://doi.org/10.15523/JKSESE.2014.7.2.169
- Lee, Y. S., & Kim, H. Y. (2009). A comparative study of the achievement standards between the Revised Korean National Curriculum of English and Common European Framework of References(CEFR). Modern English Education, 10(2), 108-132.
- Leem, Y. W., & Kim, Y. S. (2013). A Historical Study on the Korean Science Curriculum for the Elementary and Secondary Schools. Biology Education, 41(3), 483-503. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2013.41.3.483
- Lim, Y. N., Cho, E. Y., & Hong, H. J. (2015). Analysis of the Demonstration Unit of Science Textbooks Developed according to Core Achievement Standards. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 15(6), 389-412.
- Lim, Y. N., & Jang, S. Y. (2015). A Study on the Reduction of Educational Contents in the 2015 Revised National Science Curriculum : Focusing on the Common Curriculum. Journal of Learner- Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 15(12), 437-460.
- Loucks-Horsley, S., Hewson, P. W., Love, N., & Stiles, K. E.(1998). Designing professional development for teachers of science and mathematics. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Merriam, S. B. (2009). Qualitative research: A guide to design and implementation. San Francisco: Jossy-Bass.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology(2011). Advancing Measures for Academic Affairs of Middle School.
- Choi, J. I., Paik, S. H. (2015). A Comparative Analysis of Achievement Standards of the 2007 & 2009 Revised Elementary Science Curriculum with Next Generation Science Standards in US based on Bloom's Revised Taxonomy. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 35(2), 277-288. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2015.35.2.0277
- Chung, H. S. (2007). A Critical Review of Standards-based Curriculum for Korean Language. The Society of Korean Language Edcuation, 123, 183-212.
- Creswell. J. W. (1998). Qualitative inquiry and research design: choosing among five traditions. Sage Publications, Inc.
- Creswell. J. W. (2012). Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design, Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Approach. (Cho, H. S., Jeong, S. O., Kim, J. S., & Kwon, J. S. Trans.). Seoul: Hakjisa. (original work published 2007)
- Forman, J. & Damschroder, L. (2008). Qualitative Content Analysis In Jacoby, L. & Siminoff, L. A. (2008). Empirical Methods for Bioethics: A Primer. CA: Elsevier Ltd.
- Gu, W. H. (2013). Exploring the Meaning of the Appropriateness of Curriculum Coverage and Depth based on the Analysis of Conflicting Issues. Journal of Learner- Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 13(20), 285-305.
- Hall, G., Hord, S. M. (2001). Implementing Change Patterns, Principles, and Potholes. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Hall, G., Wallace, R. & Dossett, W. (1973). A developmental conceptualization of the adoption process within educational institutions (Report No. 3006). Austin: Research and Development Center for Teacher Education, University of Texas at Austin. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 095 126).
- Ben-Peretz(2012). The teacher curriculum encounter: freeing teachers from the tyranny of text. Albany: State Universtiy of New York Press. (Jeong, K. S. & Kim, S. Y. Trans.) Seoul: KangHyeon Press. (original work published 1990)
- Bondan, R., & Biklen, S. K. (2015). Qualitative research for education: An introduction to theory and methods(5th ed.). Allyn & Bacon. (Cho, J. S. Trans,). Seoul: KyoungMoon Press. (original work published 2007)
- Han, S. H. (2004). A Disscusion on Relevance of Educational contents: Issue and Direction. Korean Society for Curriculum Studies Spring Seasonal Seminar in 2004.
- Hong, H, J., Lee, S. M., Min, B. J., & Kim, Y. S. (2010). A Study on Alignment and Relevance of Subject Curriculum. Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.
- Hong, M. Y., Park, S. K., Baek, K. S. S., Byun, H. H., Yang, Y. J., Yang, J. S., Lee, K. E., Lee, M. K., & Han, H. C. (2012). Research and development of achievement standards and achievement levels based on the national curriculum revised in 2009- An analysis of the national curriculum and development achievement standards. Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation. CRC 2012-1.
- Jeong, Y. K., & Park, S. K. (2006). A Study on the Relevance(jukjunghwa) of Contents in National Curriculum. The Journal of Educational Idea, 19, 1-15.
- Jo, K, H. (2013). The Characteristics Verbs in Physics Achievement Standards in the 2009 Revised National Curriculum. Journal of Research in Curriculum Instruction, 17(4), 1405-1420. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2013.17.4.1405
- Jo, K. H. (2015). Comparison of Verbs in the Contents of the National Curriculum for Elementary and Middle School Science: Focused on the 7th, 2007, and 2009 Revision. Journal of Science Education, 39(2), 239-254. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2015.39.2.239
- Jo, S. Y. (2015). A study on the aspects of using achievement standards in national subject curriculum of elementary teachers. Journal of Learner- Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 15(8), 587-641.
- Kim, C. C. (1997). "Curriculum Differentiation on the Basis of Students' Academic Capability" Reconsidered. The Journal of Curriculum Studies, 15(2), 19-50.
- Kim, C. C. (2003). A Comparative Study on the Reduction Discourses of Educational Content in the 4th to 7th National Curriculum R & D Reports. The Journal of Curriculum Studies, 21(2), 105-122.
- Kim, D. H. (2015). The Utilization and Prospects of Textbooks in Instruction and Evaluation in Korean Education. Journal of Educational Innovation Research, 25(3), 21-44.
- Kim, D. H., & Kim, H. N. (2014). Two Different Perspectives on Principal Autonomy. The Journal of Educational Research, 12(1), 71-97.
- Kim, E. J. (2015). Teachers' Understanding and Application to theme textbooks on 2009 revision of national elementary. Dissertation of Pusan National University.
- Kim, E. J., & Kim, D. H. (2014). Teachers' Understanding about Theme Textbooks on the Integrated Curriculum Revised in the 2009. Journal of Curriculum Integration, 8(3), 73-92.
- Kim, E. J., Kwon, Y. J., & Lee, Y. J. (2013). The Direction for Revising the Achievement Standards in Korean Home Economics Education: Focussing on the Comparison with the U.S. National Standards. Korean Home Economics Education Association, 21(5), 37-54.
- Kim, E. J., Yang, M. Y., & Kim, D. H. (2010). An Analysis on Elementary Teachers' Stages of Concern to Integrated Units of Revised National Elementary Integrated Curriculum in 2007. The Journal of Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, 22(2), 287-302.
- Kim, J. S. (1999). A Comparative Study of the Curriculum-based Assessment Standards Development in Korea and Standards Movement in America. The Journal of Curriculum Studies, 17(2), 339-362.
- Kim, K. H. (2009). The Conceptual Confusion of Achievement Standards and Direction for Developing Achievement Standards and Evaluation Standards in Moral Education. The Journal of Curriculum and Evaluation, 12(3), 125-151.
- Kwak, Y. S. (2004). An Evaluative Study on the 7th National Elementary-school Science Curriculum Implementation. Elementary Sceience Education, 24(5), 1028-1038.
- Kwon, N. W., Park, S. R., & Chu, K. J. (2006). An inquiry into the meaning and the acquisition of teaching skills as a personal practical knowledge. The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, 23(3), 187-207.