- Volume 54 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Optimization and Evaluation of Organic Acid Recovery from Kraft Black Liquor Using Liquid-Liquid Extraction
- Kwon, Hee Sun (Department of Chemical Engineering and Interagency Convergence Energy on New Biomass Industry, Hankyong National University) ;
- Um, Byung Hwan (Department of Chemical Engineering and Interagency Convergence Energy on New Biomass Industry, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2016.07.28
- Accepted : 2016.08.30
- Published : 2016.12.01
Liquid-liquid extraction (LLE) can be used for the recovery of acetic acid from black liquor prior to bioethanol fermentation. Recovery of value-added chemicals such as acetic-, formic- and lactic acid using LLE from Kraft black liquor was studied. Acetic acid and formic acid have been reported to be strong inhibitors in fermentation. The study elucidates the effect of three reaction parameters: pH (0.5~3.5), temperature (
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Luoma, P., Vanhanen, J., Tommila, P., Distributed Bio-Based Economy: Driving Growth, SITRA: Helsinki, Finland (2011).
- Aresta, M., Dibenedetto, A. and Dumeignil, F., "Biorefinery: From Biomass to Chemicals and Fuels," Green Process Synth, 2, 87-88(2013).
- Um, B. H. and Hanley, T. R., "A CFD Model for Predicting the Flow Patterns of Viscous Fluids in a Bioreactor Under Various Operating Conditions," Korean J. Chem. Eng., 25(5), 1094-1102 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-008-0179-y
- Zhang, Y. H. P., "Reviving the Carbohydrate Economy via Multi-Product Lignocellulose Biorefineries," J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 35, 367-375(2008). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10295-007-0293-6
- Himmel, M. E., Biomass Recalcitrance. Deconstructing the Plant Cell Wall for Bioenergy. Blackwell, Oxford (2008).
- Rodrigues, J. A. R., "From the Mill to a Biorefinery: The Sugar Factory as an Industrial Enterprise for the Generation of Biochemicals and Biof Uels," Quim. Nova, 34, 1242-1254(2011). https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-40422011000700024
- Dewulf, J. and Van Langenhoven, H., Renewables-Based Technology. Sustainability Assessment. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester(2006).
- Um, B. H. and Bae, S. H., "Statistical Methodology for Optimizing the Dilute Acid Hydrolysis of Sugarcane Bagasse," Korean J. Chem. Eng., 28(5), 1172-1176(2011). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-011-0058-9
- Xu, J., Cheng, J. J., Sharma-Shivappa, R. R. and Burns, J. C., "Sodium Hydroxide Pretreatment of Switchgrass for Ethanol Production," Energy Fuels 24(3), 2113-2119(2010). https://doi.org/10.1021/ef9014718
- Fengcl, D. and Wegener, G., Wood - Chemistry, Ultrastructure, Reactions. Walter de Gruyter, Berlin (1989).
- Klinke, H. B., Thomsen, A. B. and Ahring, B. K., "Inhibition of Ethanol-producing Yeast and Bacteria by Degradation Products Produced During Pre-treatment of Biomass," Appl. Microbiol., 66, 10-26(2004).
- Anasthas, H. M. and Gaikar, V. G., "Removal of Acetic Acid Impurities from Ethyl Acetate by Adsorption on Ion Exchange Resins, Sep. Sci. Technol., 36, 2623-2646(2001). https://doi.org/10.1081/SS-100107216
- Wasewar, K. L., Yawalkar, A. A.., Moulijn, J. A. and Pangarkar, V. G., "Fermentation of Glucose to Lactic Acid with Reactive Extraction, a Review," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 43, 5969-5982 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie049963n
- Um, B. H., Friedman, B. and van Walsum, G. P., "Conditioning Hardwood-derived Pre-pulping Extracts for Use in Fermentation Through Removal and Recovery of Acetic Acid Using Trioctylphosphine Oxide (TOPO)," Holzforschung., 65, 51-58(2011).
- Rickcr, N. L., Michaels, J. N. and King, C. L., "Solvent Properties of Organic Bases for Extraction of Acetic Acid from water," J. Sep. Proc. Technol., 1, 36-41(1979).
- Senol, A., "Extraction Equilibria of Formic Acid, Levulinic Acid, and Ace Tic Acids Using (alamine 3361 diluent) and Conversional Solvent Sys Tems: Modeling Consideration. 1," Chem. Eng. Jpn. 32, 717-731(1999). https://doi.org/10.1252/jcej.32.717
- Sabolova, E., Schlosser, S. and Martak, J., "Liquid-liquid Equilibria of Butyric Acid in Water+solvent Systems with Trioctylamine as Extractant," J. Chem. Eng. Data., 46, 735-745(2001). https://doi.org/10.1021/je000323a
- Heisel, R. W., "Removing Carboxylic Acid from Aqueous Wastes," Chem. Eng. Prog., 73, 55-59(1977).
- Niitsu, M. and Sekine, T., "Solvent Extraction Equilibria of Acids. VI. The Extraction of Scveral Mono and Dicarboxylic Acids with Trioctylphosphine Oxide in Hexane," Bull. Chern. Soc. Jpn. 51, 705-709(1978). https://doi.org/10.1246/bcsj.51.705
- Wardell, J. M. and King, C. J., "Solvent Equilibriums for Extraction of Carboxylic Acids From Water," J. Chern. Eng. Data., 23, 144-148(1978). https://doi.org/10.1021/je60077a009
- Hano, T., Matsumoto, M., Ohtake, T., Sasaki, K. and Kawano, Y., "Extraction Equilibria of Organic Acids with Tri-n-octylphosphineoxide," J. Chem. Eng. Jpn., 23, 260-264(1990).
- Reisinger, H. and King, C. J., "Extraction and Sorption or Acetic Acid at pH Above pKa to form Calcium Magnesium Acetate," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 34, 845-852(1995). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie00042a016
- Juang, R. S. and Wu, R. T., "Extraction of Acetate From Simulated Waste Solutions in Chloromycetin Production," Sep. Purif. Technol., 17, 225-233(1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5866(99)00044-1
- Al-Mudhaf, H. E., Hegazi, M. E. and Abu-Shady, A. I., "Partition Data of Acetic Acid Between Aqueous NaCI Solutions and Trioctylphosphine Oxide in Cyclohexane Diluents," Sep. Purif. Technol., 27, 41-50(2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5866(01)00192-7
- Wisniewski, M. and Pierzchalska, M., "Recovery of Carboxylic Acids C1-C3 with Organophosphine Oxide Solvating Extractant," J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol., 80, 1425-1430(2005). https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.1348
- Sluiter, A., Hames, B., Ruiz, R., Scarlata, C., Sluiter, J. and empleton, D., Determination of Sugars, Byproducts, and Degradation Products in Liquid Fraction Process Samples. In: Laboratory Analytical Procedure (LAP), NREL/TP-510-42623, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO, USA (2006).
- Du, B., Sharma, N., Becker, C., Chen, S. F., Mowery, R. A., van Walsum, G. P. and Chambliss, C. K., "Effect of Varying Feedstock- Pretreatment chemistry Combinations on the Formation and Accumulation of Potentially Inhibitory Degradation Products in Biomass Hydrolysates," Biotechnol. Bioeng., 107(3), 430-440(2010). https://doi.org/10.1002/bit.22829
- Chen, W. H., Pen, B. L., Yu, C. T. and Hwang, W. S., "Pretreatment Efficiency and Structural Characterization of Rice Straw by An Integrated Process of Dilute-acid and Steam Explosion for Bioethanol Production," Bioresour. Technol., 102, 2916-2924(2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.11.052
- Kabel, M. A., Bos, G., Zeevalking, J., Voragen, A. G. J. and Schols, H. A., "Effect of Pretreatment Severity on Xylan Solubility and e30.nzymatic Breakdown of the Remaining Cellulose from Wheat Straw," Bioresour. Technol., 98, 2034-2042(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.08.006
- Larsson, S., Palmqvist, E., Hahn-Hägerdal, B., Tengborg, C., Stenberg, K., Zacchi, G. and Nilvebrant, N.-O., "The Generation of Fermentation Inhibitors During Dilute Acid Hydrolysis of Softwood," Enzyme Microb. Technol., 24, 151-159(1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0229(98)00101-X
- Hsu, T. C., Guo, G. L., Chen, W. H. and Hwang, W. S., "Effect of Dilute Acid Pretreatment of Rice Straw on Structural Properties and Enzymatic Hydrolysis," Bioresour. Technol., 101, 4907-4913(2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2009.10.009
- Panagiotopoulos, I. A., Lignos, G. D., Bakker, R. R. and Koukios, E. G., "Effect of Low Severity Dilute-acid Pretreatment of Barley Straw and Decreased Enzyme Loading Hydrolysis on the Production of Fermentable Substrates and the Release of Inhibitory Compounds," J. Cleaner Prod., 32, 45-51(2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2012.03.019