- Volume 26 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Climatic Features of Extratropical Cyclones During the Spring-time Yellow Dust Events in Korea
한반도 봄철 황사 발생시 동아시아 온대저기압의 기후학적 특징
- Lee, Jaeyeon (School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Junsu (National Institute of Meteorological Sciences) ;
- Son, Seok-Woo (School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2016.06.21
- Accepted : 2016.09.22
- Published : 2016.12.31
The yellow dust events in Korea are often associated with extratropical cyclones (ETCs) that travel across the source regions of yellow dusts. Although such synoptic patterns are well documented, climatic features of ETCs themselves during the yellow dust events are not well understood. The present study reports climatic features of spring-time ETCs, which accompany the yellow dust events in Korea, by tracking individual ETCs with an automated tracking algorithm. By analyzing Lagrangian tracks of ETCs from 1979 to 2014, it is found that, during yellow dust events, ETCs are located around Vladivostok, Russia. They are typically originated from the leeside of Altai-Sayan mountains about three days before the onset of the yellow dust events, and travel either eastward or southeastward in time. While their tracks are not unusual, they grow faster over the source regions of the yellow dusts, possibly lifting desert dusts above the planetary boundary layer, and further develop slowly as they travel eastward.
Grant : 동아시아 이동성 저기압의 종관-기후학적 특성 분석 및 예측성 평가
Supported by : 한국기상산업진흥원
- Adachi, S., and F. Kimura, 2007: A 36-year climatology of surface cyclogenesis in East Asia using high-resolution reanalysis data. Sci. Online Lett. Atmos., 3, 113-116.
- Bergstrom, R. W., 1998: Modeling the radiative characteristics of airborne mineral aerosols at infrared wavelengths. J. Geophys. Res., 103, 8813-8826. https://doi.org/10.1029/98JD00049
- Chun, Y.-S., 1996: Long-range transport of Yellow Sand with special emphasis on the dust rise conditions in the source regions. Ph. D. Dissertation, Seoul National University, 129 pp.
- Chun, Y.-S., K.-O. Boo, J. Kim, S.-U. Park, and M. Lee, 2001:Synopsis, transport, and physical characteristics of Asian dust in Korea. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos., 106, 18067-18074. https://doi.org/10.1029/2001JD900090
- Chung, K., and S. Park, 1995: Characteristic synoptic features associated with the transport of yellow sand to Korea. J. Korean Meteor. Soc., 31, 45-63 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Chung, Y.-S., and T. K. Kim, 1991: On long range transport of air pollutants-sources and observations of yellow sand, TSP and sulphate in Korea. J. Korean Meteor. Soc., 7, 197-202 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Dee, D., and Coauthors, 2011: The ERA-Interim reanalysis:configuration and performance of the data assimilation system. Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 137, 553-597. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.828
- Grise, K. M., S.-W. Son, and J. R. Gyakum, 2013: Intraseasonal and interannual variability in North American storm tracks and its relationship to equatorial Pacific variability. Mon. Wea. Rev., 141, 3610-3625. https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-12-00322.1
- Hodges, K., 1994: A general-method for tracking analysis and its application to meteorological data. Mon. Wea. Rev., 122, 2573-2586. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1994)122<2573:AGMFTA>2.0.CO;2
- Hodges, K., 1995: Feature tracking on the unit sphere. Mon. Wea. Rev., 123, 3458-3465. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1995)123<3458:FTOTUS>2.0.CO;2
- Hodges, K., 1999: Adaptive constraints for feature tracking. Mon. Wea. Rev., 127, 1362-1373. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1999)127<1362:ACFFT>2.0.CO;2
- Hoskins, B. J., and K. I. Hodges, 2002: New perspectives on the Northern Hemisphere winter storm tracks. J. Atmos. Sci., 59, 1041-1061. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0469(2002)059<1041:NPOTNH>2.0.CO;2
- Lee, J.-J., and C.-H. Kim, 2008: Characteristics of recent occurrence frequency of asian dust over the source regions-analysis of the dust occurrences since 2002. Atmosphere, 18, 493-506 (in Korean with English abstract).
- Lim, J.-Y., and Y. Chun, 2006: The characteristics of asian dust events in Northeast Asia during the springtime from 1993 to 2004. Global Planet. Change, 52, 231-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloplacha.2006.02.010
- Mao, R., C.-H. Ho, S. Feng, D.-Y. Gong, and Y. Shao, 2013: The influence of vegetation variation on Northeast Asian dust activity. Asia-Pac. J. Atmos. Sci., 49, 87-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13143-013-0010-5
- Park, S.-U., A. Choe, and M.-S. Park, 2013: A simulation of Asian dust events observed from 20 to 29 December 2009 in Korea by using ADAM2. Asia-Pac. J. Atmos. Sci., 49, 95-109. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13143-013-0011-4
- Plante, M., S. W. Son, E. Atallah, J. Gyakum, and K. Grise, 2015: Extratropical cyclone climatology across eastern Canada. Int. J. Climatol., 35, 2759-2776. https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.4170
- Pu, B., R. Fu, R. E. Dickinson, and D. N. Fernando, 2016:Why do summer droughts in the Southern Great Plains occur in some La Nina years but not others? J. Geophys. Res., 121, 1120-1137.
- Qian, W., L. Quan, and S. Shi, 2002: Variations of the dust storm in China and its climatic control. J. Climate, 15, 1216-1229. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0442(2002)015<1216:VOTDSI>2.0.CO;2
- Sinclair, M. R., 1997: Objective identification of cyclones and their circulation intensity, and climatology. Wea. Forecasting, 12, 595-612. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0434(1997)012<0595:OIOCAT>2.0.CO;2
- Ulbrich, U., G. Leckebusch, and J. G. Pinto, 2009: Extratropical cyclones in the present and future climate: a review. Theor. Appl. Climatol., 96, 117-131. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-008-0083-8
- Yoshioka, M., N. M. Mahowald, A. J. Conley, W. D. Collins, D. W. Fillmore, C. S. Zender, and D. B. Coleman, 2007: Impact of desert dust radiative forcing on Sahel precipitation: relative importance of dust compared to sea surface temperature variations, vegetation changes, and greenhouse gas warming. J. Climate, 20, 1445-1467. https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI4056.1
- Yue, X., H. Wang, H. Liao, and K. Fan, 2010: Simulation of dust aerosol radiative feedback using the GMOD:2. Dust-climate interactions. J. Geophys. Res., 115, D04201, doi:10.1029/2009JD012063. https://doi.org/10.1029/2009JD012063
- Springtime extra-tropical cyclones in Northeast Asia and their impacts on long-term precipitation trends vol.38, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.5543