- Volume 16 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Relationship between intake of energy and protein and permanent teeth caries
에너지 및 단백질 섭취와 영구치 우식과의 관련성
- Kim, Han-Na (Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Sciences, Cheongju University)
- 김한나 (청주대학교 치위생학과)
- Received : 2016.10.24
- Accepted : 2016.12.08
- Published : 2016.12.30
Objectives: This study aims to evaluate the association between intake of energy, calcium and protein and permanent teeth caries in Korean children. Methods: Research data were obtained from the Fifth Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) and 1,274 Korean children within 9 to 12 years were selected as subjects for the study. The DMFT index, nutrition factors including total energy and protein intake, and degree of calcium intake were identified Chi-square test was performed to assess the difference of distribution in socioeconomic status, oral health behavior and nutrition factors according to sex. Multilevel linear regression analysis was performed to identify the relationship between DMFT index and the related variables. Results: Significant differences in energy, protein and Ca intake were confirmed according to the sex. Among 10 year-old children who intake total energy less than the recommended had few dental caries (p=0.058,
Supported by : 청주대학교
- Darnton-Hill I, Nishida C, James WPT. A life course approach to diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. Public Health Nutrition 2004;7:101-21. https://doi.org/10.1079/PHN2003584 https://doi.org/10.1079/PHN2003584
- Lydia M, Dave-Singh G, Feliciano N, Machuca MDC. Associations between a history of breast feeding, malocclusion and parafunctional habits in Puerto Rican children. PRH SJ 2006;25:31-4.
- Naidoo S, Myburgh N. Nutrition, oral health and the young child. Matern Child Nutr 2007;3:312-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8709.2007.00115 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8709.2007.00115.x
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2015 Korean Children's Oral Health Survey. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2015: 12-32.
- Alsumait A, ElSalhy M, Raine K, Cor K, Gokiert R, Al-Mutawa S, et al. Impact of dental health on children's oral health-related quality of life: a cross-sectional study. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2015;13:1. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-015-0283-8 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-015-0283-8
- Do LG, Spencer A. Oral health-related quality of life of children by dental caries and fluorosis experience. J Public Health Dent 2007;67:132-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2007.00036 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2007.00036.x
- Bagramian RA, Garcia-Godoy F, Volpe AR. The global increase in dental caries. A pending public health crisis. Am J Dent 2009;22:3-8.
- Song KB, Choi YH, Hong SJ, Kim JB. Dental caries prevalence in relation to socioeconomic factors and dental health behaviors among Korean adults. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2003;27:319-38.
- Reisine ST, Psoter W. Socioeconomic status and selected behavioral determinants as risk factors for dental caries. J Dent Edu 2001;65:1009-16.
- Taani DQ. Relationship of socioeconomic background to oral hygiene, gingival status, and dental caries in children. Quintessence Int 2002;33:195-8.
- Davies GN. Cost and benefit of fluoride in the prevention of dental caries. Geneva: World Health Organization Offset Publ; 1974: 9.
- Featherstone JD. Prevention and reversal of dental caries: role of low level fluoride. Community dent oral epidemiol 1999;27:31-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1999.tb01989.x
- Marinho VCC, Higgins J, Logan S, Sheiham A. Fluoride varnishes for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. The Cochrane Library 2002:1-3. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD002279 https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD002279
- Gibson S, Williams S. Dental caries in pre-school children: associations with social class, toothbrushing habit and consumption of sugars and sugar-containing foods. Caries Res 1999;33:101-13. https://doi.org/10.1159/000016503
- Philippe ME. Budtz-Jorgensen J, Rapin CH. Relationship between oral health and nutrition in very old people. Age and Ageing 1999;28:463-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/28.5.463
- Walls, Angus WG, et al. Oral health and nutrition in older people. J Public Health Dent 2000;60:304-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2000.tb03339.x
- Kim HN, Min JH, Kim KR. Relationship between intake of vitamins and minerals and caries of primary teeth. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014;14:371-8. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.371 https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.371
- Yang JH, Park JY, Yoon HI, Kim SM, Sung JK, Jeon JE, et al. A Comparison of plaque control effects of detergent food. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12:511-5.
- Yoon MS, Jung EJ, Youn HJ. A study on correlation between dietary intake status and dental caries in the Dept. of Dental Hygiene. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012;12:79-84.
- Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Korean National Health and Examination Surveys. The 5th Surveys. Cheongwongun: Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention; 2012: 1-325.
- Lee DJ, Song CH, Shin WS, Woo JH, Lee KJ, Lee DY, et al. Clinical research. Seoul: Pacific books; 2013: 118-20.
- Kim HN, Ha TG, Kim MJ, Jun EJ, Jeong SH, Kim JB. Factors related to number of present teeth in Korean elderly adults aged 55-84 years. Int J Dent Hyg 2015;14:151-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/idh.12151 https://doi.org/10.1111/idh.12151
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. The report of Korean National Oral Health Survey in 2012. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2013: 204-16.
- Kim SW, Kim SS. The effect of social and economic inequality among neighborhoods on children's health. J Korean Soc Child Welfare 2012;39:127-50.
- Gray-Burrows K, Day P, Marshman Z, Aliakbari E, Prady S, McEachan R. Using intervention mapping to develop a home-based parental-supervised toothbrushing intervention for young children. Implementation Science 2016;11:61. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-016-0416-4 https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-016-0416-4
- Lee SS. The important function of calcium in relation to children's growth. J Kor Dietetic Assoc 1999;5:238-42.
- Banerjee A. Dental caries. The Disease and its Clinical Management. British Dent J 2004;196:238.
- Ahmed NA, Astrom AN, Skaug N, Petersen PE. Dental caries prevalence and risk factors among 12-year old schoolchildren from Baghdad, Iraq: a post-war survey. Int Dent J 2007;57:36-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.2007.tb00116.x
- Bratthall D. Introducing the significant caries index together with a proposal for a new global oral health goal for 12-year-olds. Int Dent J 2000;50:378-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1875-595X.2000.tb00572.x
- Cho HJ, Lee HS, Paik DI, Bae KH. Association of dental caries with socioeconomic status in relation to different water fluoridation levels. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2014;42:536-42. https://doi.org/10.1111/cdoe.12110 https://doi.org/10.1111/cdoe.12110
- Antunes JLF, Narvai PC, Nugent ZJ. Measuring inequalities in the distribution of dental caries. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2004;32:41-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2004.00125.x
- Mattila ML, Rautava P, Sillanpaa M, Paunio P. Caries in five-year-old children and associations with family-related factors. J Dent Res 2000;79:875-81. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345000790031501
- Shaw JH, Ensfield BJ, Wollman DH. Studies on the relation of dairy products to dental caries in caries-susceptible rats. J Nutrition 1959;67:253-73. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/67.2.253
- Levine R. Briefing paper. Milk, flavoured milk products and caries. British Dent J 2001;191:20.
- Dror DK, Allen LH. Dairy product intake in children and adolescents in developed countries: trends, nutritional contribution, and a review of association with health outcomes. Nutrition Reviews 2014;72:68-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/nure.12078 https://doi.org/10.1111/nure.12078
- Herod EL. The effect of cheese on dental caries: a review of the literature. Australian Dent J 1991;36:120-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.1991.tb01340.x
- Beighton D, Adamson A, Rugg-Gunn A. Associations between dietary intake, dental caries experience and salivary bacterial levels in 12-year-old English schoolchildren. Arch Oral Biol 1996;41:271-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9969(96)84555-9
- Lin HS, Lin JR, Hu SW, Kuo HC, Yang YH. Association of dietary calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium intake with caries status among schoolchildren. Kaohsiung J Med Sci 2014;30:206-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.kjms.2013.12.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.kjms.2013.12.002
- Kim IS, Oh JS, Lee ES, Jang YH, Jung SH, Jung ME. Dental nutrition. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2012: 73-80.
- Bowman SA, Gortmaker SL, Ebbeling CB, Pereira MA, Ludwig DS. Effects of fast-food consumption on energy intake and diet quality among children in a national household survey. Pediatrics 2004;113:112-8. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.113.1.112
- Shin BM, Bae SM, Ryu DY, Choi YK. The relationship between the numbers of natural teeth and nutritional status of elderly in Korea-based on 2007-2009 national health and nutrition survey data. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12:521-31. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.521
- Kim SH, Bae SM, Shin BM. Nutritional status of Korean elderly by oral health Level-based on 2009 national health and nutrition survey data. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011;11:833-41.
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels are associated with dental caries experience in Korean adolescents: the 2010 ~ 2014 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys vol.51, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2018.51.4.287