- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Shift Pattern and Expertise on Perceived Workload and Performance for Aviation Security Screeners
항공보안검색요원의 교대근무유형과 경력에 따른 주관적 업무부하와 수행
- Received : 2016.04.21
- Accepted : 2016.09.15
- Published : 2016.09.30
The study examined the effects of shift pattern and expertise on perceived workload and performance for aviation security screeners. 18 security screeners participated in this study, in which data were analyzed by dividing them into two groups (experts vs. less-experts). We measured their perceived workloads and performances (i.e., reading time through X-ray) as a function of shift pattern and time condition. As a result, highly experienced screeners (experts) showed high workload during the morning shift, while lowly experienced screeners (less-experts) reported high workload during the full-day and the afternoon shifts. In addition, less-experts took a longer time to inspect the baggage when they worked for the full-day and the afternoon shifts. Particularly, in the last time slot of the full-dat shift, expert screeners had a high workload, while both groups showed a high-level of workload at around 17:30 in the afternoon shift.
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 연세대학교
- NTSB, "Loss of thrust in both engines after encountering a flock of birds and subsequent ditching on the Hudson river. Accident Report NTSB/AAR-10/03," National Transportation Safety Board, Washington DC, 2010.
- Bolfing, A., Halbherr, T., and Schwaninger, A., "How image based factors and human factors contribute to threat detection performance in x-ray aviation security screening," New York, 2008, pp.419-438.
- Schwaninger, A., Hardmeler, D., and Hofer, F., "Aviation security screeners visual abilities and visual knowledge measurement," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol.20 No.3, 2005, pp.29-35. https://doi.org/10.1109/MAES.2005.1412124
- Ericsson, K. A., and Delaney, P. F., "Working memory and thinking. Current issues in thinking and reasoning," Taylor and Francis, Abingdon, 1998, pp.93-114.
- Larkin, J., McDermott, J., Simon, D. P., and Simon, H. A., "Expert and novice performance in solving physics problems," Science, Vol.208 No.4450, 1980, pp.1335-1342. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.208.4450.1335
- Sohn, Y. W., and Doane, S. M., "Memory processes of flight situation awareness: Interactive roles of working memory capacity, long-term working memory, and expertise," Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, Vol.46 No.3, 2004, pp.461-475. https://doi.org/10.1518/hfes.46.3.461.50392
- Shackman, A. J., Sarinopoulos, I., Maxwell, J. S., Pizzagalli, D. A., Lavric, A., and Davidson, R. J., "Anxiety selectively disrupts visuospatial working memory," Emotion, Vol.6 No.1, 2006, pp.40-61. https://doi.org/10.1037/1528-3518.104.22.168
- Learthart, S., "Health effects of internal rotation of shifts," Nursing Standard, Vol.14 No.47, 2000, pp.34-36. https://doi.org/10.7748/ns2000.08.14.47.34.c2895
- Dae Do Kim, and Sang Seol Lee., "The Analysis of Influences that Night Work of Shift workers affect at Sleep and Social Life," Korean journal of human resource development, Vol.2 No.2, 2000, pp.210-217.
- An Saeng Lee, Sang Jae Rhee, and Nam Ho Kim, "The Effect of Shift Work on the Diurnal Rhythm of Blood Pressure in Nurses," Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.18, No.1, 2009, pp.14-21.
- Coffey, L. C., Skipper, J. K., and Jung, F. D., "Nurses and shift work: Effects on job performance and job-related stress," Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.13 No.2, 1988, pp.245-254. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1988.tb01414.x
- Mina Ha, Sang Chul Roh, and Jung Sun Park, "Shift work Duration and Metabolic Risk Factors of Cardiovascular Disease," Korean Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol.15 No.2, 2003, pp.132-139.
- Ji Yong Kim, "A Study on the Safety Accidents by Shift Systems," Korean Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol.8 No.2, 1996, pp.330-339.
- Jin Sung Lim, "A Study on the Job Stress and Job Satisfaction of Aviation Security Screeners at Incheon International Airport," Ph.M.A Thesis, Korea Aerospace University, February 2012.
- Bourgeois-Bougrine, S., Cabon, P., Gounelle, C., Mollard, R., Coblentz, A., and Speyer, J. J., "Fatigue in aviation: Point of view of French pilots," 10th International Symposium on Aviation Psychology, Columbus, OH, May. 3-6, 1999, pp.867-872.
- ICAO, "Security Manual of safeguarding Civil Aviation Against Acts of Unlawful Interference," ICAO, Doc 8973/8, 2011.
- Sung Cheol Kim, "Evaluation the effect of noise on mental work accomplishment," M.A. Thesis, Konkuk University, February 2010.