- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Airline Pilots' Perception on Organizational Citizenship Behaviors and Their Safety Culture
운송용 조종사의 조직시민행동 인식과 안전문화에 대한 연구
- Received : 2016.04.21
- Accepted : 2016.09.15
- Published : 2016.09.30
The purpose of this paper is to analyze the relationship between the perception of organizational citizenship behavior and that of safety culture by airline pilots. Finding factors which composed of organizational citizenship behavior, this paper will prove the effects of those factors to the safety culture of an airline. Organizational citizenship behavior means the activities of members, based on their free will, to enhance organization's overall productivity and performance, which are, however, not officially and apparently approved by the organization. Safety culture is to contain the concept in the organization's protocol, procedure and policy affecting safety performance of the organization. According to the analysis, it was proven compliance of organizational citizenship behaviors has a positive effect on safety culture through job satisfaction. Moreover, altruism and individual initiative have a direct positive effect on safety behavior of pilots.
- Yonhap News (2016), "Incheon Airport has achieved 500 million passengers since grand- opening", (2016. 7. 31)
- In Jae Lee, Ji Hwan Lee, Min Seok Cha (2010). "A Study on the Negative Citizenship Behavior in Republic of Korea Air Force Pilot", Korean Academy of Management 18(1), pp. 123-165.
- Kang Jun Lee (2012), "A Review of Safety Culture for Implementation in Commercial Aviation". Aviation Development, 59, pp.27-44.
- Kwang Jung Kim (2013), "A Study on Improvement for a Pilot Licensing System", Aviation Law Chapter 25 Section 1, Chapter 26, Chapter 27 Section 2, Master Degree Thesis, Graduate School of Korea Aerospace University
- Bateman, Organ, D. W., (1988. "Organizational Citizenship Behavior: The good soldier syndrome", Lexington, MA: Lexington Books.
- Organ, D. W. (1988), "Organizational Citizenship Behavior: The good soldier syndrome", Lexing, MA: Lexing Books.
- Morrison, E. W. (1994), "Role Definitions and Organizational Citizenship Behavior: The Importance of the Employee Perspective", Academy of Management Journal, 37(6), pp.1543-1567 https://doi.org/10.2307/256798
- Graham, J. M. (1991). "An essay on organizational citizenship behavior", Employee Responsibilities and Rights 4 pp.249-270 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01385031
- Organ, D. W. (1997), "Organizational Citizenship Behavior: It's Construct Clean-up Time, Human Performance. 10(2) pp.85-97 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327043hup1002_2
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B. Moorman, Richard R. H. F., (1990). "Transformational Leader Behaviors and Their Effects on Followers' Trust in Leader, Satisfaction, and Organi- zational Citizenship Behaviors." The Leadership Quarterly, 1(2), pp. 107-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/1048-9843(90)90009-7
- Joo Hyung Kim, Hyung Baek Lee (2015), "The Influence of Abusive supervision on Organizational Commitment and Organizational Citizenship Behavior : A Mediating Effect of organizational justices, Tourism Research, 30(4), pp.187-208.
- Smith, C. A., Organ, D. W., Near, J. P. (1983), "Organizational citizenship behavior: Its nature and antecedents", Journal of Applied Psychology, 68, pp.653-663. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.68.4.653
- Williams, L. J., Landau, J. T. (1986). "Antecedents and consequences of satisfaction and commitment in turnover models : A reanalysis using latent variable structural equation Methods", Journal of Applied Psychology, 71(2), pp.219-231. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.71.2.219
- Endsley, M. R.. (1995). "A Taxonomy of Situation Awareness Errors", In R. Fuller, N. Johnston & N. McDonald(Eds.), Aldershot, England: Avebury Aviation, Ashgate Publishing Ltd, pp.287-292.
- Tenney, Y. J., Adams, M. J., Pew, R. W., Huggins, A.,Rogers, W. H., (1992), "A Principled Approach to the Measurement of situation Awareness in Commercial Aviation", NASA Contractor Report 4451.
- Federoco, P. A., Endsley, M. R.(1995), "Export and Novice Recognition of Similar situations", Human Factors, 37(1), pp.102-122.
- IAEA (1986), "Summary Report on the Post-Accident Review Meeting on the Chernobyl Accident", International Safety Advisory Group (Safety Series 75-INSAG-1). International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna.
- Ostrom, L., Wilhelmsen C., Kaplan B. (1993), "Assessing Safety Culture", Nuclear Safety 34(2), pp.163-172
- Ciavarelli, A., Jr, Figlock, R. (1996), "Organizational factors in aviation accidents. Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Aviation Psychology, Columbus, OH : Department of Aviation. pp.1033-1035
- Flin, R., Mearns, K., Gordon, R., Fleming, M. T. (1998), "Measuring safety climate in UK offshore oil & gas installations". Paper presented at the SPE International Conference on Health, Safety & Environment in Oil and Gas Exploration and Production. Caracas, Venezuela.
- Pidgeon, N. (2001), "Safety culture : Transferring theory and evidence from the major hazards industries", Tenth Seminar on Behavioral Research in Road Safety, London. Department of Environment, Transport
- Wiegmann D. A., Von Thaden T. L. (2002), "A Review of Safety Culture Theory and Its Potential Application to Traffic Safety", Safety Culture April 4., pp.114-129
- CANSO (2008), "Safety Culture Definition and Enhancement Model", Safety Culture Barriers & Enablers.
- Geller, E., Lehman, G., Kalsher, M. (1989). "Behavior Analysis Training for Occupational Safety". Newport, VA: Make-A- Difference, Inc.
- Khalid S. A. (2009), "Organizational Citizenship Behavior Factor Structure among Employees in Hotel Industry", International Journal of Psychological Studies, 1(1), pp.16-25
- McCook K. D. (2002), "Organizational Perceptions and Their Relationships to Job Attitude, Effort, Performance and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors", Dissertation to the Department of Psychology, Louisiana State University
- Cheasakul U., Varma P., (2016), "The Influence of Passion and Empowerment on Organizational Citizenship Behavior of Teachers Mediated by Organizational Commitment", Contaduria y Administracion 61, pp.422-440 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cya.2016.04.003
- Moon, B. S. (2016), "The Empirical Research on a Change in trend of Safety Culture of Airline Pilots", Dissertation to Doctoral Degree to the Department of Flight Operation at Korea Aerospace University