- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Collision Analysis of STF Impregnated Kevlar Fabric Using the 3D-Shell Element
쉘요소를 활용한 STF 함침된 Kevlar Fabric의 방탄해석
- Lee, Duk-Gyu ;
- Park, Jong-Kyu ;
- Jung, Wui-Kyung ;
- Lee, Man-Young ;
- Kim, See-Jo ;
- Moon, Sang-Ho ;
- Son, Kwon-Joong ;
- Cho, Hee-Keun
- Received : 2015.11.09
- Accepted : 2016.02.26
- Published : 2016.02.29
Ballistic impact analyses have been performed with the Kevlar fabric impregnated with STF(shear thickening fluid). Multi-layer laminates modeled with 3D isoparametric shell elements were used for the performance analysis and their results are compared with experimental results. Both experiments and numerical analyses have been done to verify the usefulness of STF to enhance the impact resistance performance. The results showed that STF increases friction within a bundle of fiber, and this phenomena is more apparent in the velocity range of under near 450 m/s. In this research, it is emphasized that FEA analyses of STF impregnated Kevlar fabric laminate were successfully conducted using shell elements. Moreover, the effectiveness of the technique and accuracy were verified through the comparison with reliable experimental data.
Shear thickening fluid;Shell element;Kevlar;Finite element analysis
- (International Journal) Wagner, N.J. and Brady, J.F., "Shear Thickening in Colloidal Dispersions", Physics Today, Vol. 62, No. 10, pp. 27-32, pp. 2009.
- (Thesis) Bae, Y.H., Protective Performance of Fiber Composites Impregnated with Shear Thickening Fluid (STF), M.D Thesis, Chungnam National University, Korea, 2009.
- Assessment of Liquid Bulletproof Material for Soldier Defense and Study on the Design Optimization Methodology, Agency for Defense Development, 2015.
- (Korean Journal) Lee, B.-W. and Kim, C.-G., "Computational Analysis of Shear Thickening Fluid Impregnated Fabrics Subjected to Ballistic", Advanced Composite Materials, Vol. 21, No. 2, April 2012, pp. 177-192. https://doi.org/10.1080/09243046.2012.690298
- (Book) Kim, Y.S., Tensor&Continuum Mechnics, Hongrung Pub. Co., Korea, 2014.
- (International Journal) Gopinath, G., Zheng, J.Q., and Batra, R.C., "Effect of Matrix on Ballistic Performance of Soft Body Armor", Composite Structures, Vol. 94, Issue 9, 2012, pp. pp. 2690-2696, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2012.03.038
- (Korean Journal) Jo, J.H., Lee, Y.S., and Kim, H.L., "Numerical Simulation of Steel/kevlar Hybrid Composite Helmet Subjected to Ballistic Impact", Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, No. 12, pp. 1569-1575, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.12.1569
- (Thesis) Moon, S.H., 3D-Modeling and Simulation of the STF Fabric, M.D Thesis, Andong National University, Korea, 2011.
- (Book) Choi, C.K., Finite Element Method, Techno-press Pub. Co., Korea, 2002.
- Ansys Workbench Software Help File.
Supported by : 국방과학연구소(ADD)