- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Nurses' Knowledge and Performance of Pain Management at a General hospital
일 개 종합병원 간호사의 통증관리 지식과 통증 관리 수행
- Received : 2016.05.16
- Accepted : 2016.08.05
- Published : 2016.02.28
Purpose: This study was done to describe level of knowledge and performance of pain management by nurses in general hospitals. Methods: The study was conducted from August 1 to 28, 2014 with 141 nurses from a general hospital in B city. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, one-way ANOVA, and Pearson correlation coefficient with SPSS 20.0. Results: Average correct response rate for knowledge was 62.7%, indicating poor knowledge of pain management. Mean score for knowledge of pain management was
- Carter B. Child and infant pain: Principles of nursing care and management. London: Chapman & Hall; 1994. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4899-3366-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4899-3366-9
- Silver J, Mayer RS. Barriers to pain management in the rehabilitation of the surgical oncology patient. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2007;95(5):427-435. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jso.20780 https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20780
- Mehta A, Chan LS. Understanding of the concept of "Total pain": A prerequisite for pain control. Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing. 2008;10(1):26-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.njh.0000306714.50539.1a https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NJH.0000306714.50539.1a
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Comprehensive accreditation manual for hospitals: The official handbook. III. Oakbrook Terrace: Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations; 2003.
- American Nurses Association. Nursing care report card for acute care. Washington, DC: American Nurses Association; 1995.
- Coulling S. Nurses' and doctors' knowledge of pain after surgery. Nursing Standard. 2005;19(1):41-49. http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2005.05.19.34.41.c3859 https://doi.org/10.7748/ns2005.05.19.34.41.c3859
- Al-Shaer D, Hill PD, Anderson MA. Nurses' knowledge and attitudes regarding pain assessment and intervention. Official Journal of the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses. 2011;20(1):7-11.
- Hwang KH, Ryoo EN, Park KS. A study of the nurses' knowledge and attitude about pain management. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2007;13(1): 41-51.
- Kim SH, Park SY. A university hospital nurses' knowledge and attitude about cancer pain management. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2012;13(1): 254-263. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/kais.2012.13.1.254 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.1.254
- Lee SW, Kim HS, Kim SY, Hong YS, Kim EK. Patient satisfaction with cancer pain management. Korean Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care. 2003;6(1):22-33.
- Kim MJ, Park JA, Shin SJ. Pain and pain management in hospitalized cancer patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2008;15(2):161-170.
- Kim HK, Lee HS, Hwang KH, Yoo YS, Lee SM. Positive and negative determinants for pain management in both cancer patients and their nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2006;13(1):68-75.
- Watt-Watson JH. Pain management: Nursing perspective. St Louis: Mosby Year Book; 1992.
- Jo EK. Nurses' knowledge and performance of cancer pain management [master's thesis]. Daegu: Keimyung University; 2010.
- Tak HH, Kim KH. A study on performance of pain management and perceived barriers of pain care among hospital nurses. Nursing Science. 2012;24(1):23-34.
- Gong SW, Bang JY, Seo MS, Hyun SS, Kim HJ, Lee MA, et al. Knowledge and attitudes of oncology nurses toward cancer pain management. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing. 2004;16(1):5-16.
- Comley AL, Banks JC. Pain management: Clinician survey and institutional needs assessment. Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings. 2000;13(3):230-235. https://doi.org/10.1080/08998280.2000.11927680
- Brown ST. Outcomes analysis of a pain management project for two rural hospitals. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 2000;14(4):28-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00001786-200007000-00006
- Wang HL, Tsai YF. Nurses' knowledge and barriers regarding pain management in intensive care units. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2010;19(21-22):3188-3196. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03226.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03226.x
- Sterman E, Gauker S, Krieger J. Continuing education: A comprehensive approach to improving cancer pain management and patient satisfaction. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2003; 30(5):857-864. https://doi.org/10.1188/03.ONF.857-864
- Lai YH, Chen ML, Tsai LY, Lo LH, Wei LL, Hong MY, et al. Are nurses prepared to manage cancer pain? A national survey of nurses' knowledge about pain control in Taiwan. Journal of Pain & Symptom Management. 2003; 26(5):1016-1025. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0885-3924(03)00330-0