- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Lidocaine Patch Application to Decrease Pain and Fear during Blood Sugar Test in Elderly Patients with DM
리도카인 패치 적용이 당뇨노인환자의 혈당검사 시 통증과 두려움에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2015.10.14
- Accepted : 2016.01.08
- Published : 2016.02.28
Purpose: This study was done to examine the effects of lidocaine patch application to decrease pain and fear during blood sugar testing in elderly patients with DM. Methods: The participants were 56 elderly patients admitted to J geriatric hospital in G city, Korea. Of the elderly patient, 27 were assigned to the experimental group and 29 to the control group. Participants in the experimental group applied a lidocaine patch on the fingertip for 30 minutes before a blood sugar test. The control group applied a plaster on the fingertip. Pain was evaluated using a visual analogue scale and fear using the Procedure Behaviour Check List. The results were compared using paired t-test and t-test. Results: The scores for pain and fear were significantly lower in the experimental group compared to the control group. Conclusion: The lidocaine patch was found to be an effective local anesthetic to relieve pain and fear during blood sugar test in elderly patients with DM without any severe adverse events.
- International Diabetes Federation. The diabetes atlas. 5th ed. Brussels: International Diabetes Federation; 2011.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. National health and nutrition examination survey [Internet]. Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare; 2013 [cited 2015 June 14]. Available from: http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&page=1&CONT_SEQ=305115&SEARCHKEY=TITLE&SEARCHVALUE.
- Statistics Korea. 2012 Cause of death statistics [Internet]. Seoul: Statistics Korea; 2013 [cited 2015 June 14]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board.
- Brown SA, Hedges LV. Predicting metabolic control in diabetes: A pilot study using meta-analysis to estimate a linear model. Nursing Research. 1994;43(6):362-368.
- Karter AJ, Ackerson LM, Darbinian JA, D'Agostino RB Jr, Ferrara A, Liu J, et al. Self-monitoring of blood glucose levels and glycemic control: The Northern California Kaiser permanent diabetes registry. American Journal of Medicine. 2001;111(1):1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9343(01)00960-3
- Choi JY. A comparison on the degree of pain according to methods of blood sugar test between DM patients and healthy group. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2003;33(7):928-935. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.7.928
- Ahn W, Kim JT. Blood glucose measurement principles of non-invasive blood glucose meter: Focused on the detection methods of blood glucose. Journal of Biomedical Engineering Research. 2012;33(3):114-127. http://dx.doi..org/10.9718/JBER.2012.33.3.114 https://doi.org/10.9718/JBER.2012.33.3.114
- Watt-Watson JH, Evernden C, Lawson C. Parents' perception of their child's acute pain experience. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 1990;5(5):344-349.
- Kim SJ, Kim KH, Ko SH, Kim SO, Kim YS, Kim JY, et al. Psychiatric mental health nursing. Seoul: Soomoonsa; 2013.
- Yoo HS, In MS, Lim GJ, Kim SJ. Comparative study of pain level on NIDDM patients according to blood sugar test method. Chung-Ang Journal of Nursing. 2006;10:29-34.
- Kim J, Kang HY. Effects of EMLA cream in intradermal skin test of ampicillin sodium antibiotics. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2011;18(1):46-53.
- Tang MB, Goon AT, Goh CL. Study on the efficacy of EMLA-Max (4% liposomal lidocaine) compared with EMLA cream (eutectic mixture of local anesthetics) using thermosensory threshold analysis in adult volunteers. Journal of Dermatological Treatment. 2004;15(2):84-87. https://doi.org/10.1080/09546630310018491
- Mao J, Chen LL. Systemic lidocaine for neuropathic pain relief. Pain. 2000;87(1):7-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(00)00229-3
- Lee SY. The effect of ice and lidocaine patch on the pain and stress in needling under hemodialysis [master's thesis]. Seoul: Chung-Ang University; 2011. p. 1-62.
- Kim GM, Chang SO. Lee YM. Factors influencing coping strategies of elders according to types of pain belief. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2008; 15(3):360-370.
- Lee JS, Kim JY, Lee HS, Moon HG, Lee JL, Kim SA. Actual performance of self-monitoring of blood glucose by diabetic patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2002;8(1):99-115.
- Doosan Encyclopedia. EnCyber & EnCyber.com
- LeBaron S, Zeltzer L. Assessment of acute pain and anxiety in children and adolescents by self-reports, observer reports, and a behavior checklists. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 1984;52(5):729-738. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.52.5.729
- Munro BH. Statistical methods for health care research. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams Wilkins; 1993.
- Campbell BJ, Rowbotham M, Davies PS, Jacob P 3rd, Benowitz NL. Systemic absorption of topical lidocaine in normal volunteers, patients with post-herpetic neuralgia, and patients with acute herpes zoster. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2002;91(5):1343-1350. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.10133
- Oh HS. The effect of topical EMLA cream on venipuncture related pain, anxiety and physiologic variables of preoperative autologous blood deposit patients [master's thesis]. Seoul: Kyung-Hee University; 2009. p. 1-67.
- Lim JH, Shin Y. Effects of distraction by cell phone on pain and fear during venipuncture procedures for hospitalized preschool children. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing. 2007;13(4):506-511.
- Barker DP, Rutter N. Exposure to invasive procedures in neonatal intensive care unit admissions. Archives of Diseases in Childhood. Fetal and Neonatal Edition. 1995;72(1): F47-F48. https://doi.org/10.1136/fn.72.1.F47
- Park MS, Park KS, Kim KA, Cha YJ, Jun MH, Kim TI, et al. Pain and blood volume with different sampling sites and puncture depths in vacuum assisted auto lancing technique for blood glucose test. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2006;12(2):265-271.
- Hwang KH, Ryoo EN, Park KS. A study of the nurses' knowledge and attitude about pain management. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2007;13(1): 41-51.
- Sloman R, Rosen G, Rom M, Shir Y. Nurses' assessment of pain in surgery patients. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2005;52(2):125-132. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03573.x
- Speirs AF, Taylor KH, Joanes DN, Girdler NM. A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, comparative study of topical skin analgesics and the anxiety and discomfort associated with venous cannulation. British Dental Journal. 2001;190(8):444-449.
- Kim Y, Park HR. Effects of topical anesthetic cream on pain at venipuncture in children. Child Health Nursing Research. 2014;20(3):142-148. http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.3.142 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.3.142
- Jang G, Jeon E, Lee E. Effect of vapocoolant spray and EMLA cream upon DPT vaccination pain in infants. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society. 2014;25(4):705-714. http://dx.doi..org/10.7465/jkdi.2014.25.4.705 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2014.25.4.705
- Hwang J, Kim CJ, Shin Y. LC/MS/MS method for the determination of lidocaine in hairless rat plasma and pharmacokinetic applications of lidocaine patch. Yakhak Hoeji. 2012;56(3):158-163.