- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Clinical Competence and Organizational Socialization according to Communication Style of Preceptors as Perceived by New Nurses
신규간호사가 지각한 프리셉터 의사소통 유형에 따른 임상수행능력 및 조직사회화
- Received : 2015.11.04
- Accepted : 2016.02.12
- Published : 2016.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine clinical competence and organizational socialization according to communication style of preceptors as perceived by new nurses. Methods: From May 1 to July 31, 2014, data were collected from 180 new graduated nurses who had been working for 3~12 months in hospitals in Busan and one in Gyungnam. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, and Pearson correlation coefficients. Results: Preceptors's communication style perceived by the new nurses included supportive type, reflective type, emotive type, and directive type in order of precedence. The average score for clinical competence was
- Yoo CS, Kim JH, Kim MY, Kim SJ, Kim YS, Kim JA, et al. Factors related to organizational socialization of new nurses. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2012;18(2):239-250.
- Kim GL, Lee H, Cho Y, Kim MH. The experience of turnover decision making in new graduate nurses. Qualitative Research. 2013;14(1):23-33. https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2013.14.1.23
- Cho YS. The clinical competence of new nurses in rapidly changing clinical fieldwork. Paper presented at; Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing Winter Conference; 2013 November 30; KOREA University Hana Square Auditorium. Seoul.
- Jones H. Newly qualified nurses need time and support to help them settle in. Nursing Standard. 2012;26(35):32-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2012.05.26.35.32.p8245 https://doi.org/10.7748/ns2012.05.26.35.32.p8245
- Suh YO, Lee K. Lived experiences of new graduate nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2013;19(2):227-238. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.227 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.227
- Kim YS, Park KY. The mediating effect of professionalism in the relationship between clinical competence and field adaptation in newly graduated nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2013;19(4):536-543. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.536 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.4.536
- Choi JS, Yang NY. Nursing performance and organizational socialization of new nurses according to teaching style of preceptors and personality of new nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2012;18(3):281-289. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.3.281
- Kwon IG, Jung KH, Cho HS, Hwang JW, Kim JY, Jeon KO, et al. Development and validation of the core competency evaluation tool for new graduate nurse's preceptor. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2002;8(4): 535-549.
- Han SS, Sohn IS, Kim NE. New nurse turnover intention and influencing factors. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2009;39(6):878-887. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.878 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.878
- Jeoung YO, Park SC, Jin JK, Kim JY, Lee JU, Park SY, et al. Content analysis of communication between nurses during preceptorship. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2014;23(2):82-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2014.23.2.82 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2014.23.2.82
- Choi JS, Yang NY. Differences in job stress, and job satisfaction according to teaching style, and personality of preceptors. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2011;17(3):349-356. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.3.349
- Wanberg CR, Kammeyer-Muller JD. Predictors and outcomes of proactivity in the socialization process. Journal of Applied Psychology. 2000;85(3):373-385. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.3.373 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.3.373
- Shin EK. Factors influencing turnover intention of new nurses according to communication style of preceptor. [master's thesis]. Daejon: Chungnam National University; 2013.
- Reece BL, Brandt R. Effective human relations in organization. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co; 1984.
- Kim HS. Differences cohesiveness of teachers' group according to perceived vice-principal communication style [master's thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University; 2010.
- Kim MW. Development of objectives in nursing clinical education based on the nursing core competencies. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2006;36(2):389-402. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.2.389
- Son JT, Park M, Kim HR, Lee WS, Oh K. Analysis of RN-BSN students' clinical nursing competency. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2007;37(5):655-664. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.5.655
- Sohn IS, Kim HS, Kwon JS, Park DI, Han YH, Han SS. Development of an instrument to measure organizational socialization of new clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2008;14(1):85-97.
- Jang MS. Impact of mutual communication style in preceptorship on new nurse's organizational ssocialization [master's thesis]. Seoul: Hanyang University; 2015.
- Amos D. An evaluation of staff nurse role transition. Nursing Standard. 2001;16(3):36-41.
- Wangensteen S, Johansson IS. Nordstrom G. The first year as a graduate nurse - An experience of growth and development. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2008;17(14):1877-1885. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02229.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02229.x
- Lauder W, Watson R, Topping K, Holland K, Johnson M, Porter M, et al. An evaluation of fitness for practice curricula: Self-efficacy, support and self-reported competence in pre-registration student nurses and midwives. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2008;17(14):1858-1867. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02223.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02223.x
- Park SY, Kwon Y, Park YS. Resilience and organizational socialization in new nurses. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2015;15(2):324-332. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.02.324 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.02.324
- Ji EO. A study on field adaptation of new nurses [master's thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University; 2009.
- Shin YW, Lee H, Lim Y. Predictors of the clinical competence in new graduate nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2010;16(1):37-47. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.1.37
- Kim MS, Choi SO. Concept analysis of organizational socialization. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2003;9(1):19-30.
- Factors Affecting Clinical Competence of Dental Hygienists vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.5.331
- Influence of Professional Self-concept and Self-leadership on Clinical Competence in Nursing Students vol.23, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2016.23.4.373
- Mediating Effect of Self-efficacy in the Relationship between Informal Learning, Shared Leadership and Organizational Socialization of Beginner · Advanced Beginner Nurses vol.24, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.1.1