- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Adults' Participation Motives for Lifelong learning, and their Satisfaction and Learning Outcomes on Social Capital Formation
성인의 평생학습 참여동기와 만족도 및 학습성과가 사회적자본 형성에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.12.24
- Accepted : 2016.02.04
- Published : 2016.02.29
This study examined the effects of adults' participation motives for lifelong learning, and satisfaction and learning outcomes on social capital formation. The subjects were 354 adult learners, who were over 20 years of age. They had a lifelong learning experience in various lifelong education institutes and facilities located in the D provincial areas. The statistical methods of this study were correlation analysis, multiple regression analysis and path analysis. The results showed that the adults' participation motives for lifelong learning had positive effects on the social capital formation, and it had effects on the satisfaction and learning outcomes. Adult learners' satisfaction and learning outcomes had positive effects on the social capital formation. In addition, there were mediating effects between adult learners' participation motives and social capital formation. This study is meaningful for the development of lifelong learning by providing theoretical and practical implications.
Adult learner;Participation Motives;Satisfaction;Learning Outcomes;Social Capital Formation
- H. J. Lee, "The Effect of Learning Outcome by Lifelong Education Participation on A Learners in University Continuing Education Institutions", Journal of Education Research, 19(2), p.67-10, 2011.
- S. K. Lim, Y. H. Jo, "A SEM Analysis on Participation Outcomes and Effect Factors of Female Adult Learners", Andragogy Today: International Journal of Adult & Continuing Education, 11(4), p.53-76, 2008
- J. C. Yoon, M. S. Park, "The Effect of Adult learners' Lifelong learning Participation Motivation, Satisfaction and Learning Outcomes on Social Capital Formation", Journal of Korean Social Values Association Workshop, p.41-55, 2015.
- M. S. Park, S. H. Lim, "The Effect of the Lifelong Educators' Communication type, Competence and Leadership on the Adult Learners' Educational Satisfaction Degree", CNU Journal of Education Studies, 35(1), p.31-54, 2014. https://doi.org/10.18612/cnujes.2014.35.1.31
- M. S. Jung, U. S. Choi, "A Qualitative Research on the Benefits of Learning in Lifelong Education Institutes", Journal of Lifelong Educational Research, 13(3), p.169-186. 2007.
- H. J. Ku, "The Exploration of alternative Lifelong Education for the Formation of Social Capital", Doctoral thesis, Korea University, 2002.
- S. M. Park, "Organizational Social Capital in the Creation of New Intellectual Capital", Journal of Human Resource Development Research, 2(1), p.171-203, 2000.
- H. R. Jung, "Critically Exploring Social Capiatal in Lifelong Education", Journal of Lifelong Educational Research, 15(2), p.53-75, 2009.
- Balatti Jo. & Ian Falk, "Socioeconomic contributions of adult learning to community: A social capital perspective", Journal of Adult Education Quarterly, 52(4), p.281-298, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/074171302400448618 https://doi.org/10.1177/074171302400448618
- Bourdieu, p, "The forms of capital. In Handbook of theory and research of the sociology of education", edited by J. G. Richardson, New York: Greenwood Press, 1986.
- Coleman, J. S, "Social capital in the creation of human capital", American Journal of Sociology, 94(Supplement), p.95-120, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/228943 https://doi.org/10.1086/228943
- Putnam, R. D, "The prosperous community: Social capital and public life", The American Prospect, 4(13), p.35-42, 1993.
- U. S. Choi, "Analysis of Educational Participation Characteristics by the Adult Educational Programs in Korea", Journal of Lifelong Educational Society, 2(1), p.1-35, 2006.
- D. M. Choi, S. J. Lee, S. H. Kim, "The Determinants of Adults Learning Participants for Lifelong in Korea", Journal of Lifelong Educational Research, 14(4), p.29-55, 2008.
- Y. S. Ko, "Exploration into the Environmental Elements Effecting on Participation in Lifelong Education", Journal of Lifelong Education, 15(2), p. 105-132, 2009.
- E. S. Jang, M. S. Park, "Analysis of Important Factors in Participation of Adult Learners in the Lifelong Learning Using the AHP Model", CNU Journal of Educational Research, 36(1), p.21-42. 2015.
- Coleman, J. S, "Social capital in the creation of human capital". American Journal of Sociology, 94(Supplement), p.95-120, 1966. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/228943
- OECD, "Human and social capital & sustained growth and development, reconciling new economics and societies: the role of human and social capital", Paris, OECD, 2000.
- U. W. Oh, "Educational Interpretation and Application of Social Capital; From Coleman and Beyond", Seoul, Education and Science, 2013.
- K. A. Lee, "Study on Empirical Relations Between Social Capiatal and Lifelong Education", Korea Education Development Institution, 2006.
- Coffield, F, "Breaking the consensus: lifelong learning as social contro", British Educational Research Journal, 25(4), p.479-499, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0141192990250405 https://doi.org/10.1080/0141192990250405
- K. A. Lee, "Study on Empirical Relations Between Social Capiatal and Lifelong Education", Journal of Lifelong Educational Studies, 14(2), p.117-146, 2008.
- J. Y. An, I. T. Kwon, Y. H. Lim, " Quality Perception on the Relationship among Participation Motivation, Academic self-efficacy and Learning Happiness at University Continuing Education Center", Journal of Lifelong Learning Society, 10(4), p.165-192, 2014. https://doi.org/10.26857/JLLS.2014.11.10.4.165
- S. Y. Jun, "The Influence of Character of Adult Learners and Educational Institution on Participation in Lifelong Education and Learning Satisfaction", Doctoral thesis, Dong-A University, 2013.
- Y. S. Ko. "A Study on Participation Motivation and Education Satisfaction with the Study Circle in Adult Learners", Master's thesis, Kwang-Ju University, 2012
- Y. M. Kim, S. H. Han, "A Structural Analysis of Adult Learner's Self-Concept, Participation Motivation and Degree of Participation in Learning on Lifelong Learning Outcomes", CNU Journal of Education Studies, 33(2), p.122-143, 2012.
- A. R. Kim, "A Study on Learning Outcome Perceived by Adult Learners in University Continuing Education Institutions", Journal of Lifelong Educational Research, 10(2), p.129-165, 2004.
- Y. H. Lim, J. Y. An, I. T. Kwon, " Structural Relationship of Adult Learners' Participative Motivation, Program Satisfaction and their Happiness at University Based Lifelong Education Centers, Journal of Korea HRD Reserch, 7(1), p.45-66, 2012.
- S. H. Han, "The Relationship between Motivation for Lifelong Education and Self-Directed Learning among Adult Learners", Journal of Lifelong Educational Reserch, 9(3), p.225-246, 2003.
- J. P. Kim, B. H. Lee, "Lifelong Education Methodology", Paju, Yangseowon, 2010.
- E. S. Choi, Y. H. Ki, S. W. Choi, K. S. Lee, J. S. Jeon, K. S. Park, K. S, Jeon, K, D, Jin, W, S, Han, Y, J, Choi, D, S, Kim, J, S, Kim, M, Y, Song, J, H, Sin, Y, B, Choi, "Lifelong Education", Seoul, Hakjisa, 2010.
- S. K. Kwag, S. W. Lee, "A Study of Participation Theory in Lifelong Education", Journal of Educational Studies, 34(3), p.87-113, 2003.
- G. B. Cha, "Lifelong Education for All", Seoul, Education & Science Press, 2013.
- Houle, C. D, "The Inquiring Mind, A Study of the Adult Who Continues to Learn", Maison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1961.
- Boshier, B. W, "Motivational orientation of adult education participants: A factor analytic exploration of Houle's typology". Adult Education, 21(2), p.3-26, 1971. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/074171367102100201 https://doi.org/10.1177/074171367102100201
- U. S. Choi, "Analysis of Educational Participation Characteristics by the Adult Educational Programs in Korea", Doctoral thesis, Ewha Women University, 1986.
- Harshman, C. L. "The impact of the non-traditional degree: A case study", In A. B. Knox(ed.). Assessing the impact of continuing education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, p.55-61, 1979.
- Grotelueschen, A. D, "Program evaluation", In A. B. Knox and Associates(Eds.). Developing, administering and evaluation adult education, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, p.75-123, 1980.
- B. I. An, "The Effect of the Participatory Experiences in Youth Organizations on Social Capital Building", Doctoral thesis, Meong-Ji University, 2009.