- Volume 49 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Study of Drilling Technology and Field Cases for Preventing A Lost Circulation in Fractured Reservoirs
균열저류층에서 이수손실방지를 위한 시추기술 및 현장사례 연구
Kim, Hyun Tae;Hong, Si Chan;Yoon, Jae Pil;Park, Yong Chan
- Received : 2015.08.27
- Accepted : 2016.02.19
- Published : 2016.02.28
The ratio of fractured reservoir is very high in oil & gas fields around the world. The demand of drilling technology for fractured reservoir is expected to increase continuously if oil and gas prices are economical. The purpose of the review study is to help operator or driller in selecting of proper drilling technology for preventing a lost circulation in the fractured formation. In order to achieve this goal, fractured reservoir(formation) they are classified into partial lost circulation formation and total lost circulation formation. In case of partial lost circulation formation, the drilling problem can be solved by using LCM(lost circulation material) mud additive and squeezing cement. For shallow depth, total lost circulation formation can be drilled safely and economically with casing drilling method. Also, for deeper depth, problems of total lost circulation in formation can be solved by applying mud cap, which is one of the drilling methods. This was confirmed through field application such as Italy's Medusa-1 field and Qatar's North field.
fractured reservoir;LCM;cement squeezing;casing drilling;mud cap drilling
- Abbas, R., Jarouj, H., Dole, S., Junaidi, E.H., EI-Hassan, H., Francis, L., Hornsby, L., McCraith, S., Shuttleworth, N., van der Plas, K., Messier, E., Munk, T., Nodland, N., Stendsen, R.K., Therond, E. and Taoutaou, S. (2004) A safety net for controlling lost circulation. Oilfield Rev., no.4, p.20-27.
- Abrams, A. (1977) Mud design to minimize rock impairment due to particle invasion. Journal of petroleum Technology., v.29, p.586-592. https://doi.org/10.2118/5713-PA
- AL-Awadhi, F.K., Ameri, F.A., Kikuchi, S. and Afifi, H.A.A. (2014) Making un-drillable HPHT well drillable using mud cap drilling. SPE 171865 paper presented at the Abu Dhabi international petroleum and conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Bratton, T., Chah, D.V., Que, N.V., Duc, N.V., Gillespie, P., Hunt, D., Li, B., Marcinew, R., Rey, S., Montaron, B., Nelson, R., Schoderbek, D. and Sonneland, L. (2006) The natural of naturally fractured reservoirs. Oilfield Review 18, no.2 p.4-23.
- Bruton, G., Crockett, R., Taylor, M., DenBoer, D., Lund, J., Fleming, C., Ford, R., Garcia, G. and White, A. (2014) PDC Bit Technology for the 21st Century. Oilfield Review., no.2, p.48-57.
- Chung, C.Y., Hakam, A., Tan, M.Z., Ugwuocha, S., Twardowski, E., Won, K. and Beattie, S. (2011) Improved performance with new casing while drilling bit design elements-development and case studies. IPTC 15504 paper presented at the international petroleum technology conference, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Colbert, J.W. and Medley, G. (2002) Light annular mudcap drilling - A well control technique for naturally fractured formations. SPE 77352 paper presented at the society of petroleum engineers annual technical conference and exhibition, San Antonio, Texas.
- Davidson, E., Richardson, L. and Zoller, S. (2000) Control of lost circulation in fractured limestone reservoirs. IADC/SPE 62734 paper presented at the 2000 IADC/SPE asia pacific drilling technology, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Esmaeili, A., Elahifar, B., Fruhwirth, R.k. and Thonhauser, G. (2013) Effect of formations compressive strength on drill string vibrations. IPTC 16985 paper presented at the international petroleum technology conference, Beijing, China.
- Gallardo, H., Cassanelli, J.P., Barret, S., Romero, P.D. and Rey, A.M. (2010) Casing-drilling technology(CwD) mitigates fluid losses in peruvian jungle. SPE 139065 paper presented at SPE Latin American & caribbean petroleum engineering conference, Lima, Peru.
- Howard, G.C. and Scott, P.P. (1951) An analysis and the control of lost circulation. Stanolind Oil and Sas Co, v.192, p.171-182.
- Huang, J., Griffiths D.V. and Wong, S.W. (2011) Characterizing natural-fracture permeability from mudloss data. society of petroleum engineers, v.16, p.111-114.
- Karimi, M., Ghalambor, A., Montgomery, M. and Moellendick, T.E. (2011) Formation damage and fluid loss reduction due to plastering effect of casing drilling. Society of Petroleum Engineers. SPE 143656 paper presented at the SPE european formation damage conference, Noordwijk, Netherlands.
- Lee, W.S. Lee, J.H., Kim, S.J., Kim, H.T. and Huh, D.G. (2005) Numerical sensitivity study on Parameters affecting solute transport through fractured media. Korea institute of geoscience and mineral resources, v.42, no.5, p.506-512.
- Lee, W.S. and Kim, H.T. (2011) Practical analysis techniques for characterization of naturally fractured reservoirs. Korea institute of geoscience and mineral resources, v.48, no.2, p.211-225.
- Luo, S., Hong, R., Meng, Y., Zhang, L., Yun, L. and Qin, C. (2000) Underbalanced drilling in high-loss formation achieved great success-a field case study. SPE 58260 paper presented at the IADC/SPE Drilling conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Medley, G. and Stone, C.R. (2004) MudCap drilling when? techniques for determining when to switch from conventional to underbalanced drilling. SPE/IADC 91566 paper presented at the 2004 SPE/IADC underbalanced technology conference and exhibition, Huston, USA.
- Mitchell, R.F. and Misca, S.Z (2011) Fundamentals of drilling engineering. SEP textbook. v.12, p.696.
- Nelson, E.B. (1990) Well cementing. elsevier, Yew York, p.496.
- Niznik, M.R., Elks, W.C. and Zeilinger, S.C. (2009) Pressurized mud cap drilling in Qatar's north field. IADC/SPE 122204 paper presented at the IADC/SPE managed pressure drilling and underbalanced operations conference and exhibition, San Antonio, Texas.
- Qutob, H. (2004) Underbalanced drilling; remedy for formation damage, lost circulation, & other related conventional drilling problems. SPE 88698 paper presented at the Abu Dhabi international conference and exhibition, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
- Rehm, B., Schubert, J., Haghshenas, A., Paknejad, A.S. and Hughes, J. (2008) Managed pressure drilling. gulf of publishing company, Huston, p.259.
- Rider, M. and Kennedy, M. (2011) The geological interpretation of well logs. 3 edition, rider-french consulting ltd, Scotland, p.432.
- Rike, J.L. and Rike, E. (1982) Squeeze cementing: state of the art. Society of Petroleum Engineers, v.34, p.37-45.
- Savari, S., Kulkarni, S.D., Whitfill, D.L. and Jamison, D.E. (2015) Engineering design of lost circulation materials (LCMs) is more than adding a word. SPE/IADC 173018 paper presented at the SPE/IADC drilling conference and exhibito, London, UK.
- Scott, P.D., Bearmore, D.H, Wade, Z.L., Evans, E. and Franks, K.D. (2012) Size degradation of granular lost circulation materials. IADC/SPE 151227 paper presented at the 2012 IADC/SPE drilling conference and exhibition, San California, USA.
- Sweatman, R.E., Kessler, C.W. and Hillier, J.M. (1997) Remedial squeeze systems-2 : properly conducted squeeze procedures eliminate downhole troubles. Oil & Gas Journal. v.95. p.42-46.
- Warren, T.M., Angman, A. and Houtchens, B. (2000) Casing drilling application design considerations. IADC/SPE 59179 paper presented at the 2000 IADC/SPE drilling conference, New Orieans, Louisiana.
Grant : 미래석유자원 전략지역 유망성 분석 및 정보화
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원의