- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Oral care status and periodontal disease of middle aged diabetic patients
중장년층 당뇨병환자의 구강관리실태와 치주질환
Kim, Myeong-Seon;Kim, Keon-Yeop;Moon, Bo-Ae
- Received : 2015.08.19
- Accepted : 2016.01.25
- Published : 2016.02.28
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to identify the oral care status and periodontal disease of middle aged daibetic patients in Korea. Methods: The primitive data were taken from 238 diabetic people in the 5th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES) in 2010 - 2012. The variables included general profiles(gender, age, occupied area, education, and smoking), oral care status(brushing time, brushing time, use of oral hygienic supplies, availability of oral hygienic supplies, oral examination, and recognition of oral health state), and diabetes management(morbidity period, treatment, education, and glycosylated hemoglobin levels). Results: Most of the subjects took gargling more than twice a day and it accounted for 73.5%. Oral hygienic supply users accounted for 24.8%, and most of them used floss brush. Oral examination was done in 19.3% of the respondents and 55.0% thought that their oral health status were very poor. The prevalence rate of the periodontal diseases was 46.6%. Female tended to have a higher rate of periodontal disease than the male. Oral hygienic supply users had lower rate of periodntal disease than those who did not use. Those who had poor subjective oral health status had higher prevalence rate of periodontal disease than those who did not. Conclusions: Periodontal disease is closely related to good oral care of middle aged diabetic patients. It is necessary to develop the program for the prevention of the periodontal disease for the diabetic patients.
diabetic;middle-aged people;oral care status;periodontal disease;KNHANES
- Oh DN, Park SM, Lee HY, Hwang IJ. Diabetes mellitus a guides to patient care. Seoul: Goonja; 2007: 3-5.
- Korean Diabetes Association. What is diabetes[Internet]. [cited 2015 Apr 17]. Available from: http://www.di abetes.or.kr/general/class/index.php?idx=1.
- Kim YJ, Min HK, Choi YG, Lee TH, Huh GB, Shin SH et al. Diabetes. 3rd ed. Seoul: Goryu; 2005: 189-92.
- Korea Statistical Information System(KOSIS). Diabetes morbidity[Internet].[cited 2015 Apr 17].Available from: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=117&tblId=DT_11702_N102&vw_cd=MT_OTITLE&list_id=117_11702_B01&scrId=&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&obj_var_id=&itm_ id=&conn_path=E1.
- Kim BO, Kim SJ, Kim YJ, Kim HS, Park JB, Sin HS, et al. Periodontology. 1st ed. Republic of Korea: Jeseong; 2006:215.
- Kang HG, Kim HM, Kim SH, Kim JS, Nam YG, Lyu JS, et al. Periodontology. 3rd ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2007: 199-202.
- Ju OJ. Impact of oral health behaviors on the presence or absence of periodontal diseases and missing tooth. J Korean Soc Dental Hyg 2011; 11(4): 511-22.
- Park MK. Multiple logistic regression analysis of elements related to dental caries based on common risk factor approach[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Chung-Ang University, 2008.
- HP Moon. Korea health statistics 2012: Korea national health and nutrition examination surgery. seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare; 2012: 580-3.
- Moon BA, Jeong SR, Jang JY, Kim KY. Health-related quality of life by oral health behavior and oral health status for the Middle-aged people. J Korean Soc Dental Hyg 2015; 15(2): 197-204. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.197
- Britton A, Shipley M, Singh-Manoux A, Marmot MG. Successful Aging: the contribution of early-life and midlife risk factors. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008; 56(6): 1098-105. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.01740.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.01740.x
- Kim HR. Knowledge, perception and practice for oral health among patients visiting dental clinics[Master's thesis]. Kimhae: Univ. of Inje, 2011.
- Kim JH. Participation and need of preparative education program for successful aging among middle aged[Doctoral dissertation]. Daegu: Univ. of Daegu, 2014.
- Yu MH. The effects of smoking on oral mucosa. The journal of Namseoul Univ 2004; 10: 449-68.
- Yang JY, Park JS. The effects of smoking on oral environment. J Dent Hyg Sci 2001; 1(1): 63-73.
- Seo EJ, Sin SC, Seo HS, Kim EJ, Jang YS. A survey on koreans' behavior about the use of oral hygiene devices. J Korea Acad of Oral Heal 2003; 27(2): 177-93.
- Mun SJ. An analysis of factors influencing the state of industrial workers' oral health based on the workers' subjective perception. [Doctor's dissertation]. Univ. of Wonkwang, 2010.
- Oh JY. Special review: treatment guideline for diabetes. Korean J Med 2008; 75(3): 249-56.
- Jeong JH, Kim GY, Jeong SH, Kim GS, Lee YM. The effect of the oral health behaviors on the periodontal status in teenagers. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(2): 163-71. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.163. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.163
- Marder MZ, Abelson, DC, Mamdel, ID. Salivary alterations in diabetes mellitus, J Periodontol 1975; 46(9): 567-9. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.1997
- Kim HY. The relationship beteen diabetes mellitus and periodontitis. [Master's thesis]. Univ. of Chonnam, 2010.
- Baek YJ. A study of the association between periodontitis and impaired fasting glucose and diabetes[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2011.
- Park JH, Kim YN, Yu JH, Kim MY, Kim BI, Kwon HK. Relation of smoking and periodontal pocket formation in korean adults. J Korea Acad of Oral Heal 2005; 29(3): 293-301.
- Gautam DK, Jindal V, Gupta SC, Tuli A, Kotwal B, Thakur R. Effect of cigarette smoking on the periodontal health status: a comparative, cross sectional study. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2011; 15(4): 383-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/ 0972-124X.92575. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-124X.92575
- Javed F, Al-Kheraif AA, Salazar-Lazo K, Yanez-Fontenla V, Aldosary KM, Alshehri M, et al. Periodontal inflammatory conditions among and never-smokers with and without yype 2 diabetes mellitus. J Periodontol 2015; 86(7): 839-46. http://dx.doi.org/10.1902/jop.2015.150120. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2015.150120
- Park ES, Choi JS. The effect of health status on general quality of life and oral health related quality of life in the middle-aged adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012; 12(6): 624-33.
- Lee YH. The degree of periodontal status and its related factors in Diabetes Mellitus[Master's thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Young nam, 2007.
- Kim NH. A study on the oral health status in diabetic patients[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2001.
- Ahn HH. Oral hygiene management capability according to toothbrushing education[Master's thesis]. Inchon: Univ. of Gachon, 2009.
- Bascones-Martinez A, Gonzalez-Febles J, Sanz-Esporrin J. Diabetes and periodontal disease. review of the literature. Am J Dent 2014; 27(2): 63-7.
- Llambes F, Arias-Herrera S, Caffesse R. Relationship between diabetes and periodontal infection. World J Diabetes 2015; 6(7): 927-35. http://dx.doi.org/10.4239/wjd.v6.i7.927. https://doi.org/10.4239/wjd.v6.i7.927