- Volume 16 Issue 1
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the relationship between the number of remaining teeth and depression in Korean adults. Methods: The subjects were the respondents of the Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES). The questionnaire consisted of the general characteristics of the subjects, number of remaining teeth, and prevalence of depression. relationship of the prevalence of depression and the number of remaining teeth. The data were analyzed by chi-square test, t-test, and logistic regression using SPSS, and 95% confidence intervals were calculated. Results: There was a significant difference in number of remaining teeth and odds ratio(OR) was 1.940(95% confidence interval: 1.062-3.544). Statistically significant difference was not observed after adjusting for age and gender and OR was 1.515(95% confidence interval: 0.823-2.787). And Statistically significant difference was not observed after adjusting for age, gender and other variables. The OR was 1.399(95% confidence interval: 0.757-2.586). Conclusions: Depression in the adults was related to the number of remaining teeth. But there was no significant difference in the number of remaining teeth after adjusted for age, gender, and other factors.
depression;KNHANES;middle age;oral health;remaining tooth
- Kang HK, Yoon YS, Park JH, Seong MG, Bae KH, Kim JB. Awareness of patients with periodontal disease under treatments at initial and maintenance phase. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2005; 29(3): 271-80.
- Chang HK. Influencing factors on fatigue of middle aged women. Korean J Adult Nurs 2010; 22(6): 634-43.
- Bosworth HB, Bastian LA, Kuchibhatla MN, Steffens DC, McBride CM, Skinner CS. Depressive symptoms, menopausal status, and climacteric symptoms in womem at midlife. Phychosom Med 2001; 63(4): 603-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-200107000-00013
- Kim MJ, Kim KB. Influencing of psychological well-being for the middle aged adults and elderly. J East-West Nurs Res 2013; 19(2): 150-8. https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.150
- Chang HK, Cha BK. Influencing actors of climacteric women's depression. Korean J Adult Nurs 2003; 33(7): 972-80. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.7.972
- Kim HK. Comparison of physical, psychosocial and cognitive factors, and depression between middle-aged women and middle-aged men. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2006; 18(3): 446-56.
- Lee KE, Yom YH, Kim SS, Han JH. Gender differences in oral health literacy related factors among elderly people. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2014; 25(1): 54-64. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2014.25.1.54
- Lee JI, Kim KH, Oh SH. Depression and life satisfaction of middle-aged man. Korean J Adult Nurs 2003; 15(3): 422-31.
- Lee JB, Yer IS, Go MH, Nam SH, Park DO, An YS, et al. Prothodontics. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa, 2008: 77-8.
- Boretti G, Bickel M, Geering AH. A review of masticatory ability and efficiency. J Prosthet Dent 1995; 74(4): 400-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3913(05)80381-6
- Kushnir D, Zusman SP, Robinson PG. Validation of a hebrew version of the oral health impact profile 14. J Public Health Dent 2004; 63(4): 71-5.
- Locker D, Matear D, Stephens M, Lawrence H, Payne B. Comparison of the GOHAI and OHIP-14 as measures of the oral health-related quality of life of the elderly. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2001; 29(5): 373-81. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2001.290507.x
- Yamamoto T, Kondo K, Hirai H, Nakade M, Aida J, Hirata Y. Association between self-reported dental health status and onset of dementia. Psychosom Med 2012; 74(3): 241-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0b013e318246dffb
- Kim JH, Park JY. A study about stressors that middle-aged men go through and coping bahavior. J of Korean Home Management Association 2001;19(6): 157-72.
- Byeon WJ, Kim CK. A study on the relevant variables of middle-aged women's depression. J Korean Home Econ Asso 2006; 44(7): 125-39.
- Kessler RC, Chiu WT, Demler O, Merikanqas KR, Walters EE. Prevalance, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the National comorbidity survey replication. Arch Gen psychiat 2005; 62(6): 617-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2011.1224. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.62.6.617
- David B. Feldman, C. R. Snyder. Hope and the meaningful life: Theoretical and empirical association between goal-directed thinking and life meaning. J Soc Cli Psychol 2005; 24(3): 401-21. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.24.3.401.65616
- Anttila SS, Knuuttila M, Ylostalo P, Joukamaa M. Symptoms of depression and anxiety in relation to dental health behavior and self-perceived dental treatment need. Eur J Oral Sci 2006; 114(2): 109-114. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/eas.12223. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.2006.00334.x
- Anttila SS, Knuuttila ML, Sakki TK. Relationship of depressive symptoms to edentuousness, dental health and dental health behavior. Acta odontol Scand 2001; 59(6): 406-12. https://doi.org/10.1080/000163501317153275
- Genco RJ, HO AW, Grossi SG. Relationship of stress, distress and inadequate coping behaviors to periodontal disease. J Periodontol 1999; 70(7): 711-23. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19188.8.131.521
- Okoro CA, Strine TW, Eke PI, Dhinqra SS, Balluz LS. The association between depression and anxiety and use of oral health services and tooth loss. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2012; 40(2): 134-44. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.
- Association of stress, depression, and suicidal ideation with subjective oral health status and oral functions in Korean adults aged 35 years or more vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12903-017-0391-4