- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study of the cumulative dental caries rate of pit and fissure sealant in community public health program: 3 years follow-up
3년간 추적연구에 의한 지역사회 치면열구전색사업의 누적치아우식발생률에 관한 연구
Jeon, Mae-Sook;Kim, Chang-Suk;Lee, Kyeong-Soo
- Received : 2015.09.01
- Accepted : 2016.01.25
- Published : 2016.02.28
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate the cumulative dental caries rate of pit and fissure sealant in community public health program from 2005 to 2008 follow-up. Methods: The subjects were 4,768 students of 34 elementary schools in Gimcheon. The survey included direct oral examination and cumulative retention rate of pit and fissure sealant from 2005 to 2008. Data were analyzed using PASW statistical package version 18.0 and the level of significance was set at p<0.05. Results: The cumulative retention rate of sealant was 18%, 25%, and 33% after 1 year, 2 years, and 3 years, respectively. In addition, the cumulative retention rate of lower teeth was higher than that of upper teeth. Cumulative dental caries rate increased in sealed group and no sealed group. The cumulative dental caries rate decreased owing to tooth brushing frequency in sealed group and no sealed group. Conclusions: Regular and timely tooth brushing can maintain good oral health condition after tooth sealing. The school based oral health education can prevent loss of sealant and secondary caries.
cumulative dental caries rate;follow-up;pit and fissure sealant
- Kim JB, Baek DI, Moon HS, Kim HD, Jin BH, Choi YJ, et al. Clinical preventive dentistry. 4th. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2010: 187-9.
- Harris NO, Garcia-Godoy F. Primary preventive dentistry. 6th ed. New Jersey: Pearson; 2004: 285-6.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. Guidebook of 2011 public oral health program. Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare; 2011: 27-38.
- Choi JS, Ma DS, Jung SH, Cho EP, Park DY. Changes in the amount of pit and fissure sealants supplied in Korea after inclusion in the National Health Insurance coverage. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2015; 39: 69-77. http://dx.doi. org/10.11149/jkoh.2015.39.1.69. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.1.69
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. 2007 report of oral health services. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs; 2008: 92-4.
- Lee KH, Kim JY, Song JH, Kim YH, Im KU, Jeong SY. Present state and prospect of public dental health service for children and adolescents in Korea. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2008; 35: 578-88.
- Hiiri A, Ahovuo-Saloranta A, Nordblad A, Worthington H, Makela M. Pit and fissure sealants for preventing dental decay in the permanent teeth of children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 2: CD001830. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD001830.pub3. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD001830.pub3
- Horowitz HS, Heifetz SB, Poulsen S. Retention and effectiveness of a single application of an adhesive sealant in preventing occlusal caries: final report after five years of a study in Kalispell, Montana. J Am Dent Assoc 1977; 95: 1133-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1977.0201. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1977.0201
- Simonsen RJ. Retention and effectiveness of dental sealant after 15 years. J Am Dent Assoc 1991; 122: 34-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1991.0289. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1991.0289
- Thylstrup A, Poulsen S. Retention and effectiveness of a chemically polymerized pit and fissure sealant after 2 years. Eur J Oral Sci 1978; 86: 21-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.111/j.1600-0722,1978.tb00603.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.1978.tb00603.x
- Kook JK, Yang JS, Lim SA, Seong JY, Kim DK. Relation between the outline change of sealants and dental caries incidence. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2001; 25: 357-70.
- Im DH. An evaluation of sealant of first permanent molars in school dental health program after 1 year. J Korean Dent Assoc 2001; 39: 199-210.
- Kho CH, Moon HS, Park DI, Kim JB. Two-year study of the need and retention rates of pit and fissure sealant on first molars in primary school children. J Korean Acad Health 2002; 26: 483-94.
- Jang KW, Kim JB. The WHO has recommended oral health survey. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2000: 27-65.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. Guidebook of 2005 public oral health program. Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare; 2005: 6-14, 105-9.
- Welbury R, Raadal M, Lygidarkis NA. EAPD guidelines for the use of pit and fissure sealants. Eur J Paediatr Dent 2004; 5: 179-84.
- Im El, Lee SH, Lee NY. A study of microleakage and penetration ability of a pit and fissure sealant applied on carious fissures. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2010; 37: 345-51.
- Richardson AS, Gibson GB, Waldman R. The effectiveness of a chemically polymerized sealant: Four-year results. Pediatric dentistry 1980; 2: 24-6.
- Lee SH. Retention of pit and fissure sealant. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2006; 33: 336-47.
- Cho MS, Lee EK, Kang YJ. A study on toothbrushing habits depending in some of middle school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11: 881-91.
- Na MH. Local children's centers in Gyeongnam province experienced group of teachers' oral health education toothbrushing effects. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11: 93-9.
- Do YJ, Shin YL, Song KB. Retention and effectiveness of fissure sealant in community public health program after three years. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1997; 21: 73-86.
- Jeong MJ, Kim AR, Kim MJ, Jeong SJ, Son JH, Chung SK, et al. The effect of carious pit and fissure sealant on secondary caries and using status. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14: 589-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.4.589. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.4.589